driveshaft spring

Guest corsahack

Guest corsahack

There is a large spring with a collar that is loose on the drive shaft of my corsa sport. There are 2 allen bolts on the collar which is obvisouly used to tighten the whole thing up. Question is the spring supposed to be under tension and where does the collar clamp up to. :o

I believe the V11 Sport and LeMans use a different driveshaft without this spring-collar.

There are some 1100 owners here on the forum and hopefully one will chime in. Carl??

Guest corsahack

I should clarify that mine is a 1998 corsa sport and not a new all singing all dancing guzzi, hence the difference re the drive shaft. <_<

I think that Sport Corsa is a beautiful bike. And much in common with the later Sports. Even the singing and dancing.

Can you see from that diagram how your shaft goes together?

Guest corsahack

Thanks for the replies and especialy the drawing. I have discovered that the restraining collar has snapped in half. Once I have rectified this with some cold weld I'l give a shot at adjusting the spring. One more thing...what is the function of the spring and its collar. I might as well know seeing as how I'm going to fix it?

Corsahack. :bier:

what is the function of the spring and its collar

I rather suspect that the spring keeps the shaft extended fully into the lower spline section so that the joint doesn't dance free when the suspension is at it's full travel. When I put the swingarm on my V11 Sport this week, I had to compress the shaft about one centimeter before the axle holes lined up. This would probably back up my analysis of the spring function. Then again, I've been know to be so completely wrong that it takes some tall talkin' to set matters straight...

• 5 years later...

Dear Guzziers

I have an 1100 sport 95 carb, but i imagine the drive shaft spring collar assembly is similar. It seem that the collar on mine became loose, gradually centrifuged itself down the driveshaft until it made contact with the tyre and pinged off never to be seen again! Any ideas where to get another, Ive tried a few places but it seems guzzi arent making them any more.

The travel in the shaft seems to be 2-3mm max, what if I just did without it?

thoughts appreciated

Jon

Dear Guzziers

I have an 1100 sport 95 carb, but i imagine the drive shaft spring collar assembly is similar. It seem that the collar on mine became loose, gradually centrifuged itself down the driveshaft until it made contact with the tyre and pinged off never to be seen again! Any ideas where to get another, Ive tried a few places but it seems guzzi arent making them any more.

The travel in the shaft seems to be 2-3mm max, what if I just did without it?

thoughts appreciated

Jon

Here in the states an industrial supplier named Grainger has them.

The name of the item is " two piece clamp-style shaft collar" and are available in metric sizes from 3mm to 80 mm.

Example an 18MM ID collar in aluminum is Grainger PN 2AUX2. Also available in steel and stainless Steel.

See Euro Grainger web site: europe.africa@grainger.com

Good luck.