Best helmet?

Guest robbrugg

I use two.. I like my Nolan flip up because I don't have to take off my glasses... but it always makes me feel a little less protected... so I've started wearing my Arai more.. and will probably never go back to the Nolan..

Get a good helment.. and more importantly wear it correctly !! :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**** Flip ups = :cheese:

So long as it's Parmigiano Reggiano. :helmet:

She'll be anti helmet law for the rest of her life after this. :lol:

Personally, I like the flip up helmets, and I'll probably keep wearing them. If someone would like to point me to a study that indicates flip-up helmets are far less safe than regular helmets, I would be interested. I'm not interested in arguing the point- just looking for info.

I guess I have a Nolan-shaped head; the Arai's are downright painful. My wife has an Arai head, so she gets the nice helmets. My only gripe with the Nolan is that it is a bit loud, but it's been a fine helmet :helmet:

J

Guest Dave Pott

Geez Monster! Where did you find that photo?? :( I'm not sure a full helmet would have much help with that one.

I recently bought an Arai Signet and for the first time my forhead does'nt start hurting after a couple of hours of helmet use :D The different shape configurations of the Arai's are brilliant...som much more comfortable.

They are also light, quiet, and don't fog like every other helmet i've had :thumbsup: But, damn, they are expensive <_<

Guest Steve_W

I had three Arais in a row, the last a Signet, all because they fit so well. Just out of curiosity, I tried a Shoei Z-Two last year and ended up buying it. No pressure points, plush interior, really nice helmet. I was really surprised that it fit; every other Shoei I've tried caused immediate pain.

The only downside is that mine says "Goldwing" across the bottom edge on the left and right sides. :blink: Apparently Shoei made a bunch in Gold Wing colors (mine's the deep blue), but I can live with it since it cost a bunch less than the Z-Two's normal USD439 retail. USD270 or thereabouts, IIRC. Anyway, I like the helmet.

Just another data point...

Edit: I also have a Nolan flip-up that I wear to work. Two reasons: First, it's bright flaming yellow, which is good for visibility. Second, I work at a U.S. military base, which requires that I present a valid ID at the gate. Wearing the Arai, I sometimes had to take the helmet off so they could see all of my face, not just my sunglasses-shaded eyes. Taking off and then putting on a helmet is a PITA, especially when there are 40 people in a line behind you. The Nolan makes that process a lot easier. The downside to the Nolan is that it's only good for about 45 minutes before the pressure on my forehead gets to me.

**** Edit:  I also have a Nolan flip-up that I wear to work.  Two reasons:  First, it's bright flaming yellow, which is good for visibility.  Second, I work at a U.S. military base, which requires that I present a valid ID at the gate.  Wearing the Arai, I sometimes had to take the helmet off so they could see all of my face, not just my sunglasses-shaded eyes.  Taking off and then putting on a helmet is a PITA, especially when there are 40 people in a line behind you.  The Nolan makes that process a lot easier.  The downside to the Nolan is that it's only good for about 45 minutes before the pressure on my forehead gets to me.

I, too, work on a military post and commute 90+% of time on one of the Guzzis. Most MP's know me, so ID is no issue. Moreover, when I do drive the pick-up in (usually on rainy or otherwise miserable days, or I'd be on the m/c) I bring in some Krispie Kremes, Dunkin' Donuts, or the like for the MP's as they are out standing in the stuff. So, most look the other way when I "forget" to wear the (@#$%^& stupid) reflective vest/belt. :D

OTOH, twice I have had the more officious among them give me the "take off your helmet so I can ID you." The first time I let it go, as it was a new guy. Same thing a few days later, same guy. That's not an ID or security issue, that's harrassment. I rarely, if ever give MP's a hard time, as "a gate guard has no friends," and it is difficult, important, and even risky business. But I knew he was fornicating with me. So ... I shut down m/c, safely (code for quite slowly) dismounted, removed my helmet, and, again, "safely" reversed process. He did not ask again.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I didn't find anyone discussing this, I am wondering what helmet you think works best (besides personal fit), based on style, features, weight, etc...

Arai and nothing else! This helmet rocks - no fog, good ventilation, snug fit - buy it!

• 1 year later...

Shoei head here: I have two, both black full-face, paid a lot for each, because that's what my head's worth! I have an open face but can't remember when I wore it. The last time I came off, the impact left gouges mm deep on the chin section of my full-face: draw your own conclusions! Me, I'm ugly enough.