Gearbox oil leak

Guest SDKFZ111

Guest SDKFZ111

Have had the leak from the clutch operating cover ( small cover back of gearbox) fixed last week. A 15mm `O` ring seal somewhere in/on the mechanism was seating onto a circular piece of swarf instead of onto finished metal. Also had the first service carried out. The bike came out running worse than before the service ! I checked the sparkplugs & found that 2 differant types had been fitted 1 of which was in poor condition! Also the valve clearances were incorrect ! Two new spark plugs and reset valve clearances and the old girl was back to her old sweet self & everything is right in my Guzzi world. I have fitted some Staintune exhaust pipes (mufflers) to the bike and they look really handsome on the red bike (v11 naked). Checking the plugs after a run it seems to be running a little bit leaner than with the standard pipes but apart from that it runs just fine. :luigi:

Guest Fonzarelli

I would sure like to see a few pictures of your bike with the StainTunes!!!

I have thought about these, but would like to see some installed...

Guest bshpilot

w/ the bike breathin' "FREE-er" im not suprised that its burning the

plugs leaner....but i would expect the EFI to compensate for this and

dump in a little more gas

....but i would expect the EFI to compensate for this and

Unless you have an O2-sensor how would the EFI know?

And even if it did an adaptive EFI usually adapt within the

limits of normal variations in fuel, air, temperature etc.

Modifications on the engine requires a new FI-map.

I would sure like to see a few pictures of your bike with the StainTunes!!!

I have thought about these, but would like to see some installed...

There are V.11 pictures on their website, I think. I have certainly seen some somewhere. If you can't find any I can do a check – I think I have a reference somewhere.

Guest Bruce

Has anyone tried advancing the setting on the TPS? My understanding is that the TPS tells the computer how "open" the throttle setting is. Higher voltage equals more open. The computer must then use an algorithm to determine how much air is going into the cylinders ( simple volume times RPM calc ) and it then sprays the apropriate amount of fuel. As we all know it is set to provide a really lean mixture.

I've noticed that when the throttle is opened gradually the bike accelerates well with no pinging even up a steep grade. However, when the throttle is opened abruptly the engine bogs down and tends to ping. This happens across a wide range of RPMs. Good old fashion carbs use an accelerator pump to compensate by spraying additional fuel. The engine response feels alot like what happens when the accelerator pump is shot.

So, I'm thinking of hooking up a voltmeter so I can monitor it while riding and making some adjustments. Given an operating range of .5 to 4 volts ( idle to WFO ) I'll try setting it at .75 volts to start. This would be about 7% of the range but who knows if it means 7% richer, I'll give it ago and do a plug check.

The theory being that the computer will think the throttle is open more than it really is and will deliver more fuel.

Can anyone think of a down side to this?

Can anyone think of a down side to this?

Yes,

it doesn't work on full throttle where you need the richer mixture the most.

Regarding the acceleration pump:

the PCIII-USB has an adjustable acc-pump function.

....but i would expect the EFI to compensate for this and

Unless you have an O2-sensor how would the EFI know?

And even if it did an adaptive EFI usually adapt within the

limits of normal variations in fuel, air, temperature etc.

Modifications on the engine requires a new FI-map.

That's correct.... we have an "open loop" EFI system on the V11 Sport/LeMans(at least all I've seen), so other than engine temp, air temp/pressure, RPM, and throttle position, the ECU is pretty "blind" as to what the actual results of it's actions are.

I think the new Breva may have a closed loop system like most other modern EFI systems, and this would be beneficial for sure. I also thought I had seen/heard of a late model V11 shown with a closed loop system somewhere, but haven't heard that it's made it to production.

We do however have the bung in each header for an 02 sensor, and if you install an aftermarket ECU like Cliff's MyECU that supports them, you can make a closed loop system.

Carl Allison is pursuing this route the last time I heard.

al

The Marelli EFI supports closed loop AFAIK

as the 2004 bikes are sold with that config.

This german 3rd party crossover has the mounting point

for an Oxygen sensor:

df_1_b.JPG

Guest SDKFZ111

Good evening Chaps.Re Staintunes.My bike had cataylzers as standard with a Lambda probe in the exhaust collecter box.Is this probe an oxygen senser ? What does this probe tell the EFI and what can the EFI adjust. Is the PC111 the only route to a richer mixture and would it work on an 03 bike. Route No.2. I recently rode a Moto Guzzi demo Cafe Sport. The bike was really nice to ride with a nice crisp response from zero to the red line and a great sound from the open pipes but not to loud.Now obviously, their remapped ECU must be set up richer than on the standard ECU. Would this be a better bet for my Staintune equipped bike which after all is the same bike with similar open pipes.I am not after any performance gain and as it is the bike performs ok at the moment and I am pleased with the looks of the highly polished Staintunes.

Guest Bruce
it doesn't work on full throttle where you need the richer mixture the most.

I thought about that as it would only get you to max fuel delivery earlier but does not change the maximum. Primarily I am looking for improved ridability not an increase in peak horsepower. My bike seems to suffer more in rapid transitions then at a steady throttle opening. None the less I am sure the PC III has the accel pump feature for a reason.

Still it does seem to be easy to fiddle with. Also, the plugs look a bit 'cold' which might be a means to accomodate the too lean during transition condition. For sure I am not going hotter untill the pinging has been completely cured.

Lamda probe= oxygen sensor. Same thing.

A PCIII is not the only way to adjust your mixture. I run Mistrals/K&N's and I don't have a PCIII- my dealer adjusted the ECU. I won't get into an argument about which is a better route. Maybe a PCIII is better, maybe not- I really don't know, and I won't make a decision until I try a bike that has one.

Bruce,

I advanced my TPS setting with good results. Unfortunately , it's a trial and error thing and my settings may vary from yours due to differences in the CO trim which I am unable to check.

It is notable that my TPS settinbgs as delivered were awfully lean. Currently it is set to the normal specification at idle.