LED replacement idiot lights...

Got it ! I have worked out a nice LED driver that gives a sharp turn on . As soon as I get the thing packaged for easy installation we''ll see if some dealer such as MPH is interested in distribution .

ewwwww, can I buy one now? ... can I, can I, can I?

:P

Seriously :D

al

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is grand! Sign me up. I drained the tank this evening by switching on the electrical petcock. At some point the fuel light began to glow almost imperceptibly. Sure enough it came on full bright about the time the fuel dropped off to a trickle.

Notably, I then removed the petcock and flipped the tank on its side and drained almost exactly one US gallon!

Light or no light , I wish there was a simple a way to get that fuel over where we can use it.

...yeah, I hear ya ^_^

If one had removed the airbox, the "balance tube" is actually pretty easy to install, as mounted on a 2003 tank in the photo below. It would be a bit harder on an earlier tank due to lack of access, and with the external petcock and fuel-return, but still doable with enough patience.

I used AN -4 sized tubing and fittings, and in retrospect would have liked to use -6 for better "balance" flow... although I don't think that a -6 fitting would have fit in the vertical location I have the tube fitted :huh2: , so some modification would be required to where the tube is installed.

Anyway, it works though... I'd just try to use -6 if someone else does it.

al

IMG_3495.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, until Gary(or I) make the op-amp setup to support an LED in the low fuel lamp location, I reassembled the lamp using a slightly larger "Euro" bulb as opposed to the micro bulb as used OEM.

This slightly larger bulb seems to offer only a little more illumination, but having a larger exposure for the filament(via the larger bulb itself), seems brighter in the cluster. So this will work fine.

It doesn't seem to get any hotter, and is still small enough not to touch the plastic sides of the warning light plastic housing.... so I expect no melting. It also didn't seem to get any hotter than the OEM bulb.

I don't have/know the model#(I threw away the card, and the bulb is bare), but it's somewhere in between the teeniny OEM bulb, and a T 3/4 that one might use in turn-signal or instrument panel light.

The next time I head to Kragens, I'll note the model number.

As an aside though, another interesting LED website:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

al

As happenened before, when I cleaned my tank out ( removed the petcock and poured all the gas out), the fuel light now comes on bright and more consistently. WTF? :huh2: