Tachometer failure

JohnnyV

Hey,

The tachometer of my two months old (1200 km) V11 Naked has started to do odd things. When I ride with stedy gas for example at 3000 rpm, the tacho jumps suddendly to 4-5000 rpm and then comes rapidly back. The problem was first occasional but is getting worse and worse all the time.

The problem doesn't seem to happen at very low revs (1000-2000 rpm) but starts at 3000 rpm. The running-in is not yet complete, so I haven't revved the bike higher than 6000 rpm.

Has anyone else had similar problems? How to fix it? :huh2:

Guest Rustleo

The only thing I know about that is that if it fails, look to a relay. One relay covers the tach and something else (I dunno) mabe the headlight? Also keep an eye on the speedometer cable where it enters the motor on the right side, it will work loose. Rosso's have had a problem with breaking speedometer cables lately.

So i've had the very same problem but with my speedometer on my 2001 V11 Sport. First of all don't worry it's not your engine :)

If the tach and the speedo all work the same way there's a gear that sits at the end of the relevant cable. The gear will be stripping itself. It's a pretty common problem on the bikles with the Veglia clocks, i heard that it was pretty much eliminated on the newer ones though :( oh well some things will never change.

...the tach is electronic, no gears ;)

But yep, the Veglias are flakey.... always have been. I'm on my second.

You'll probably warantee on in your bike's lifetime, or get one secondhand later...

I haven't heard of any real problems with the new black ITT? gauges though.

al

electronic huh ? maybe that explains why mine continues to work while my speedometer seems to break every 3 months or so.

I do like my Veglia clocks as far as aesthetics go though :)

It's the case. Seriously. The mounting posts on the tachometer case are press-fit and when they start to work loose, the tach starts to behave EXACTLY as you have described. It can be fixed if you're willing to open the unit. Since I have a broken one (actually two) at home awaiting this exact same fix (I've done it twice before), I will try and get some photos of the process and post the whole shebang on my web page. I'm through with Guzzi schematic diagrams for the time being (47 of them enough?), so it's time to do something else. The tach won't fry or anything like that for the time being (I ran one for two years doing that), so if you're willing to wait, I'll try to get to it within the next couple of weeks.

tach.gif

The Veglia instruments, especially the tachs, are prone to the mounting studs detaching from the instrument case. The stud from this one is inside clinging to the magnet on the meter movement. Prior to it's complete detachment, it was just a touch loose and the tach was erratic. Adding the extra wire isn't a bad idea, but I suspect that eventually, the mounting studs will come loose simply because they weren't that well installed to begin with.

Re offending studs

speedo-end400.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Re Speedo Cable Lube

After taking my cable and the end gear housings apart, lubing everything and putting it all back,

the lube (grease) has been steadily coming out the end plate on the bottom gearhousing.

speedgeartie400.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpgthis plate

Has anybody else noticed this?

I wonder is there meant to be a hole so that moisture can drip out, or is it just a bad fit?

I think it would be better if the lube stayed in the cable, in which case I should seal it in.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Re Fogging Tach.

As the plastic casing is identical on both sides, the only big difference that I could see between the tacho and the speedo cases was the big hole in the side of the speedo clock where the trip meter reset shaft goes through.

Unfortunately, drilling a hole in the metal tach case has not stopped the tacho from misting up.

Like the spring mystery, some things just aren't meant to be understood.

tach.gif

The Veglia instruments, especially the tachs, are prone to the mounting studs detaching from the instrument case. The stud from this one is inside clinging to the magnet on the meter movement. Prior to it's complete detachment, it was just a touch loose and the tach was erratic. Adding the extra wire isn't a bad idea, but I suspect that eventually, the mounting studs will come loose simply because they weren't that well installed to begin with.

Wow, that looks awful.... looks like a lot of water intrusion and corrosion.

I wonder if the faired bikes' instruments last longer in this regard as they are shielded from the elements to some degree?

al

Wow, that looks awful.... looks like a lot of water intrusion and corrosion.

It looks like the way the pic has been treated during image editing to me. ? :pic:

Come to mention it, it does look like one those dodgy pictures of the Moon landing.

So that's how they did it: Veglia made the set!

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Carl and Al for advice!

Dealer ordered a new tacho under warranty. I'm just waiting for it... Postal services of Italy seem to be somewhat slower than Rossi and Biaggi. :helmet:

Now the tacho has gone totally mad doing full 360 grade circles once a while. Have to try to fix it by myself...

Additional question:

Can somebody explain the exact functions of the each five relays of the bike - what relay does what? :huh2: