air filters? K&N/ FBF???

Guest seanc

Guest seanc

Hi all,

I was going to place an order with FBF for one of the fender eliminators.. And thought of the air filter at the same time...

The question is, K&N vs. the FBF? thoughts/ suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

sean

Sean

do you mean installing a K&N filter in the stock airbox or replacing the airbox lid w/ the FBF kit?

or do you mean replacing the airbox entirely w/ K&N pods vs. using the FBF lidless kit?

Cheers, Tim

Guest Thundering Subash

I was wondering the same thing, with respect to removing the airbox lid and running a high flow airbox filter.

Is the FBF kit worth the extra money (it basically looks like a trim ring with a few clamps), or does the filter stay put with the lid off and no other mods?

:mg::grin::bike::grin:

-Chris

Guest Brian Robson

I bought the FBF kit at the first service in a fit of "new bike happiness". The intake sound is great, and the aluminium ring keeps the filter secure in the frame. You could probably make up a clip and fit it to the K&N filter, but the filter with the kit is good quality.

The top portion of the factory air box, with it's long snorkles is essentially an intake induction noise restrictor. The FBF kit eliminates the thing, and just places an air filter similar to a K&N [ I forget the make of filter] held in place as Brian said, by a metal ring plate.

The induction roar is kind of cool, best up around 5,000rpm, sounding kind of like a baby V8. Seat of the pants it seems to have a bit more power, but difficult to tell listening to the engine sucking for more air. Like most engines, you have to modify both intake and exhaust to see the results, and I noticed a difference when I sawed the end off the stock cans and gutted all the steel wool which is crammed in there. You can be assured that if you were to install a Ferracci air box kit and an exhaust from him, you will see an impressive change, considering the dyno time I'm sure he spent on these components working together on this engine.

Ciao, Steve G.

I knew the FBF kit would lean the mixture. I've been having a little trouble with plug loading so I was interested in quantifying the leaner mixture. I have a temp gun thermal reader (from tempgun.com) so I measured the exhaust pipe at the bottom of the arc in front of where my toes would be if I was riding the bike. I had to take the reading here because the temp was above the gun range at the head. Anyway, the results:

Stock configuration at 2500 rpm lt 270 F rt 297 F

w/ FBF airbox at 2500 rpm lt 322 F rt 336 F

These numbers in the absolute of course mean nothing. But the 40 to 50 F increase in egt means a fair bit leaner. I'll be watching my plugs to see if they run clean now.

Frank

Hey, and there's the infamous "tip over valve" that a couple people have asked people to describe so they could locate it ^_^

BTW, I can't believe you did this with the tank still on :huh: I hope your fingers didn't get too smashed :rolleyes:

Good report and pics :thumbsup:

post_6_1086934056.jpg

Frank great pics. Sean I have the FBF air kit I'm very pleased with it.The fit and finish were great, makes everything clean under the tank. I also went with the Stucchi X-over and FBF carbon ovals, the ovals came through with no badges or riveted nameplates there also 1/3 lighter @1/3 shorter.However with that said I did have to have the ECCs remapped, but it was well worth it the bike really rips!Just my 2 cents.

I got the FBF lidless kit also this week along with a PCIII with their map for the airbox kit and their slip ons. I have mistral oval titaniums with a Stuchhi xover set up. My LeMans is running very lean...blued out the x over pipes and had a nasty off idle bog and some good pops on deceleration. When I compared the map that FBF supplied I saw that it is standard, except for a small -2.5% at low rpm, further leaning out the mix. I'm surprised at this, it would seem that you'd want to add a lot more fuel, especially at mid and high ranges.

I browsed around for a more likely map and found one for a MG Ti set up that offers just that...I'll load that one tomorrow and check it out. I'll have the bike, dyno'd, eventually, but would like to get it close enough to be able to ride it withour fear of smoking it on the drive to the shop, around 60 miles from where I live.

Does anyone have any experience with this FBF kit and riding in the rain? Are there any issues of the filter getting soaked? I have been interested in this modification but I regularly commute on my Ballabio here in Seattle which inevitably means being piddled on! The regular airbox seems to do a good job of keeping the filter dry.

Thx,

Randy

Guest Brian Robson

I ride the LeMans year round in Vancouver. Rain is no issue, and at service time the filter has just been a little dirty. There is no noticeable water in the airbox base.

I do find though that after riding in the rain for a few days that all bikes sound and feel worse, but I liken it to how fast your bike feels when you ride it after it is washed and waxed :bike::bike: