Scura problems

Guest wier

:homer:

I have just purchased a 02 scura, it had just covered 1600 mile when I bought it.

The problem is the engine pinks under load , the clutch rattles when hot and the transmission has an excessive amount of play in it.

When riding it is almost impossible to get a smooth gearchange out of it, and it is a nightmare in town when your are on and off the throttle.

That said it is a great bike, the thing is I am about to take it back for a scheduled check and I don't want to get fobbed off with ( they all do that sir ).

This is my first guzzi and I would not like it to be the last just because the dealer is not interested.

the transmission play and gearshift might be related to each other.

I had a scura, and it shifted like any jap bike: smooth, but I have to say, I did have the traditional 2 plate clutch in it, not the single plate scura clutch.

The scura clutch is known for making noise, some have been replaced under warranty.

What do you mean that on/off trottle is a problem, what is the problem?

You might find it helpful, if you can get along to the V.11 meet at Bromsgrove on Saturday. For details see the V.11UK meet thread in the meetings forum.

My Scura has 1,650 miles.

Some of what you describe is 'normal', some isn't.

The clutch is noisy when engaged in neutral. When I first got my Scura I thought it had excessive driveline lash too. I got used to that in time.

The pinking when acccelerating under load is a problem that some V11's have (mine included.) I have not found a completely effective solution to that, but I haven't given up either. I found that fitting a Power Commander and richening up the mixture helped a little bit but in my mind it's not the complete answer. If/when I get my solution, rest assured I'll be posting it here. :luigi:

The transmission should be a dream. The new 6 speed's shifting was the deciding factor for me to get a new Guzzi. A few people have traced down shifting problems to the external shift linkage binding or being in need of a little lube. Your Scura should not be difficult to shift.

Let us know what your dealer says.

John

I had a scura, and it shifted like any jap bike: smooth, but I have to say, I did have the traditional 2 plate clutch in it, not the single plate scura clutch.

The scura clutch is known for making noise, some have been replaced under warranty.

Paul and everybody!

You said that some of the single disc clutch had been replaced!

For what?

I have that clutch in my Mandello and it makes allot of sound in neutral, as soon as I use the clutch its very quite, but it has started to sound much worse now (last 500 km)and it sounds bad! :(

Now it has also started to sound very bad when riding ex. 30km/h second gear in steady velocity, it sounds and feels like everything is loos in transmission(from engine to rear wheel) any ideas?

My dealer says its normal..........? :huh::blink:

/Stefan

the noise in the clutch is normal ,mine pings under aload also I have tried everthing to get rid of the ping!!! I here it is abad design in the cylinder heads I have heard that some of the single plate clutches have had some problems, you will get use to the noise I DID check your linkage the scura should shift like butter!!!

My Scura has most of these 'problems': rattling clutch at neutral, valve noise under load, and dicey shifting w/ many false neutrals.

At 1350 miles, have not bothered to worry about any of them, they are all reminiscent of previous Guzzis I have owned, although I'd like to get the shifting issues out, seeing that others have claimed Jap bike shifting smoothness from these.........(hard for me to believe, however)

Dan

Hi there!

I can only say 'aye' to all what Paul has stated. The clutch rattles like two skeletons shaggin' on a tin roof, but the gearshift itself is smooth. The rattling sound is annoying when stooping for a red light; it sounds like a badly maintained engine and I feel everybody is looking.

In general the Scura is NOT made for commuting in town; it doesn't run well under those circumstances. But when you hit the open roads....... :bike:

Best regards

Søren Tikkanen, Denmark

I must confess that my scura wasn't original: The original clutch disintegrated, and destroyed the engine and gearbox. Under warranty I got a new engine/grearbox, this time , as I asked with a traditional clutch.

I have never driven it with the single plate clutch. But with new box/engine it was very easy to drive with, city and country. And that was from a new engine, so "that has to run in" is no excuse. An ideal sports tourer. Not only for guys who love guzzi's. One guy who wanted to buy it came of a jap bike, he was very pleased with how well it drove. No complaints about anything.

So I don't know if the clutch can make this much difference, or there is more wrong. Hard to tell from a distance. See if you can find someone with an v11 in the neighbourhood to compare. Or do a testdrive at another dealer:-)

What you guys are you doing with your bikes?

Staring at them??? All the time?

Come on!!! Those things are made to be RIDE! Go, take a ride. :bike:

Damn, 2002 Scura with 1,650 mls. I don’t believe this… :not::not::not:

Quite right.

Don't believe everything that you read.

My 2001 Sport has 30,000 km and it shifts perfect,like the best Jap bike. Just to confirm that it is possible and therefore an engineering is sound.

Personally I like the rattley clutch, let them hear it at stop light, click into gear then they can hear that nice bass as i let them suck fumes.

But I have very little if any driveline lash. My on-off throttle is very smooth (using the clutch helps, it can be a bit sudden at lower speeds, it did take some getting used too. My shifting clicks nicely into the next gear, up or down. Once again very "jap bike."

My bike also pings, very heavily, I have just learned to ride around it. Down shift two or three gears or keep the engine revved up, it is more than happy to play at higher rpms.

What you guys are you doing with your bikes?

Staring at them??? All the time?

Come on!!! Those things are made to be RIDE! Go, take a ride. :bike:

Damn, 2002 Scura with 1,650 mls. I don’t believe this… :not::not::not:

Quite right.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Yeeah, ok I did exaggerate.

The bike hasn't really gone that far – but there's a limit to how far I can push it before I get plum tuckered out.

There's something wrong alright, but I was afraid to mention it before – Moto Guzzi is in enough trouble already: you see, I don't think that Moto Guzzi put enough petrol in my V.11!

When I bought it, it ran out of power after about 20 miles – can you believe that! After a while, I figured it was something to do with them not building enough petrol into it. Well I've been pushing it ever since but surely it's not meant to be like this?

Should I go back to the dealer and try and get some more of that petrol, under warranty?

I think I'll sell it then, before the warranty expires.