Does (Rear Tire) Size Matter

Bill Hagan

Thought for sure I'd find something on this in archives, but either I am an inept searcher or nothing's there ... and, yes, I suppose both is a possibility. :doh:

Anyway, nailed yet another rear, and dealer ordered Michelin Pilot Roads for front and rear.

based on my very positive experience with stepping down from the EV's wide stock rear to a more narrow one, resulting a nimbler motorcycle (yeah, I know "nimble" and Cali are not normal pairs. :P ), I wanted to do same with Ballabio and go to a 170.

dealer said don't cuz it would decrease contact patch.

Well, OK, if you say so, but not tire not in and no sign when it will be. Well, guess what, they do have a MPR 170 in.

So ... if this horse has been beaten to death here, my apololgies for resurrecting it, and I'll be happy to read the thread or FAQ if one of you will point the way there.

If not, may have I have some thoughts so I can mount the 170 today or impatiently wait the 180?

Many thanks.

Guest John T

The downgraders who were the most happy were the early v11 sport riders. Guzzi spooned too big a tire on the small rim. (170 on a 4.5 inch rim.)

This article points out why that was a bad idea.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0...size/index.html

The 180 is the perfect size for the newer 5.5 inch rim. Yeah it may feel more nimble to downgrade to a 170 but it may have other trade offs. You end up flattening the profile a bit.

Proper tire size to rim is very important.

You would only notice the difference in contact in racing situations. I think you would really have to push it on the street. You would notice the difference in handling though.

Bill,

What tires came on your Bike stock? My 03 Rosso came with Bridgestone 020 and I switched to the Metzeler Sportecs and the bike steered way quicker. I now use the Pirelli Diablo Corsas and love em! :thumbsup:

By going to down to a 170 width, you will loose some of the curved tire profile (tire will flatten out slightly). This would slow down the bikes steering. Also most 170 width tires are taller than the 180's.

Let us know what tires you go with!

Mike

may have I have some thoughts so I can mount the 170 today or impatiently wait the 180?

Bill, regardless of what " Walter Mitty " aspirations you may have, I doubt you will find the limits of the 180 or 170 . The earlier bikes had quicker steering ( including the Rosso with the 5.5 wheel ) I remember talking to Neil Reno (R.I.P.) when he switched to a 170 on his Rosso #232 & he told me that he really couldn't tell much difference. This was a guy who could hustle a Guzzi better than anybody in this part of the country. We have several mutual acquaintances that can testify to :notworthy: Neil's abilities . What I'm trying to say is , that if he was comfortable with a 170 you should be too.

Guest John T

If you'r talking Rosso Mandello, stock rear was a 4.5 inch rim with a 170 stuffed on it like all early sports. I upgraded to Dymags and a 5.5 inch rim with 180's now. I currently am digging the Diablos with the rounder profile than the Pilot sports I had.

The 10 pounds I saved in the rear and 7 pounds up front is what makes a difference. :thumbsup:

Going down to a 160 on these bikes DOES make a difference.

I've got a Scura with the 5.5 inch rim and I loved the change by going to a 170 on the rear (Pirelli diablo's if anybody cares.)

Nice and nimble but still stable. I highly recommend it.

Alright John, I'm really confused now :huh: I remember Neils bike having a wider rim than my Y2k, cuz I was thinking about having my rim widened By Kosman or buying the Rosso wheel back then. We had our bikes parked side by side & you could see the difference. I dunno John I maybe getting old timers disease or the pain killers have me screwed up :blink:

P.S. Your right John, I'm just not with it these days, new drugs :wacko:

Guest John T

Rosso Corsa, Mandello,Nero, Copa, Cabana. yup, it can get confusing!

Just stay away from cheap red wine.

"wine before liquor, never sicker" :vomit:

....so sorta "on that note" (The Pirelli Diablo "note" that is :lol: )

Has anyone had a chance to compare the performance and wear characteristics of the "regular" Diablo, and Diablo Corsa?

I've read the specs, trade literature, ads, and various reviews... so I understand how they are supposed to differ(which isn't much BTW, the regular Diablos are better in wet, and last longer, where the Corsas stick better dry)... but am interested in riders' personal experience with both models.

For example, if in reality the Corsas still stick "like glue" in wet weather for non-superhuman riders, and wear reasonably well, then I'd be happy to go with them when I change. However, if the Corsas wear out in 4k miles, and don't stick so well in the rain.... :unsure:

al