correct guzzidiag program download?

red lion

I tried to open the guzzidiag download and my computer said no internet.

No, definitely not.

Guzzi Diag ist an .exe file, that is, it is an "executable file". I does not need to be installed, it just has to be on the computer in a folder somewhere. Double click on it, and it starts. The worst that can happen is that Windows in its ultimate wisdom might consider the program to be a risk. Click on "more options" or whatever it is on the pop-up, tell Windows to go and fork itself, and the program runs. No internet necessary, no bs. It is a very honest, no frills programme that just does what it is supposed to do, and nothing else.

PS, no, I don't like Microsoft products. Not even a little bit. The laptop that is designated for garage duty is going to become a Linux machine as soon as I have salvaged all the data off it. Guzzidiag is very happy running on a Linux machine. ;)

• Like 2

OK I down loaded guzzidiag, but I didn't transfer it to a folder. I got it to open but the com port was blank. maybe my mistake was not adding the down load for the chipped cable to a folder on my computer. I need some help.

2 minutes ago, red lion said:

OK I down loaded guzzidiag, but I didn't transfer it to a folder. I got it to open but the com port was blank. maybe my mistake was not adding the down load for the chipped cable to a folder on my computer. I need some help.

From the tutorial, try this:

> Important:  select the COM port. As Beetle on Wildguzzi says, "it [the COM port] is usually the last one or highest number. if it doesn't connect at first, keep trying different ports. In my example, I only have one, COM4."

>If the selection menu for COM port is blank, physically plug the USB connection into a different port on your computer.

26 minutes ago, red lion said:

... but the com port was blank.

I've only done this once, but....

Did you plug in the OBD adapter whilst the computer had an internet connection and let it get a driver before you tried to use Guzzidiag?

Questions before that: which adapter are you using? Is it a Windos computer? Which Windows?

The relevance of the adapter is that it needs a chip from FDTi. That is the good word from the bloke who wrote the program.

I have an adapter from Lonelec which does, according to the manufacturer's website, have this type of chip.

What I did was:

turn on the computer at home where it has an internet connection through my wi-fi at home.

Plug in the adapter.

Let Windows go off and find the driver.

One of two Windows 10 computers just got on with it, the other one didn't find the driver. The adapter turned up in the device manager under "other" as an unknown device. On that one, which is the one that I will be using in the garage, I followed the instructions on the Lonelec site to download the appropriate driver and install it manually.

Note: you don't need an internet connection to run Guzzidiag when everything is set up, but you do to install / download the driver for the adapter.

Answer those questions, and we'll see what answers come up. There are people here in the forum who have more experience than me with Guzzidiag. If something comes up that for some reason can't be solved, I have direct contact with the bloke who wrote the program through a german forum. If all else fails, I could try asking him directly for advice. :)

I did all of that with no results. the com port was still blank. I could select English and  my motorcycle but no com port.

I have the chipped cable from lonelec, but I had no wi-fi. a I will try again with wi-fi.

Leave out Guzzidiag for a minute, and go and look in the Device Manager. You haven't said, but I am assuming you are using Windows 10.

You can find the device manager by right-clicking on the Windows symbol in the task bar.

Look at these two pages from Lonelec. They show generic information about Windows and dealing with drivers, not specific to their adapters.

https://support.lonelec.com/pc-tech/finding-com-port/

https://support.lonelec.com/pc-tech/manual-driver-install/

With the information there, you should be able to see:

if the correct driver has been installed, which Com port has been assingned to it

or

if the correct driver has not been installed, in which case you won't find a Com port that works with Guzzidiag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, red lion said:

I will try again with wi-fi.

Yes, do that. As I wrote, the computer needs an internet connection to find the driver (but not for Guzzidiag to run once the driver is correctly installed).

I'm going to bed now, it is after 4 in the morning here. I wish you success. :)

• Thanks 1

I hate to say this but I don't even know what a task bar is or where to find it. I don't see any windows icons.

6 hours ago, red lion said:

I hate to say this but I don't even know what a task bar is or where to find it. I don't see any windows icons.

Sometimes the best source of computer help is to ask the neighbor's kid.  :D

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, red lion said:

task bar...  windows icons.

Task bar: the bar, most likely across the bottom of the screen if it hasn't been moved, that shows symbols for what is runnning, the clock over in one corner and so on.

Windows icon: the button on the left one clicks on to go to a programm and open it, and shut down the computer, amongst other things. You might know it as "the start button". At least up till Windows 10, a right-click on that instead of a left-click opens a list that includes the device manager.

Edit: apparently one can open the device manager using the "search" box that windows puts in the task bar if you let it.

Here is a video made by the man who wrote Guzzidiag. You can see him type "geräte manager", or at least start to. On a computer set to show english, type "device manager" instead.

https://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/FTDI_Win10_Install.mp4

The Video is from the Guzzidiag website here:

https://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1