V11 search letdown.

activpop

Just came back from looking at a V11 for sale. Ad said "excellent condition". I want a red one, and thought this might be it. How often does an excellent bike pop up near your home? You can't always tell from pictures, so I hopped on the Stelvio and off I went. Maybe I'm too picky or my expectations are too high. Owner said price was firm. I couldn't do it. Just too many things not right. I was hoping to find one that I could just hop on and go. The last two bikes I bought needed some serious sorting out. I didn't want to go that route again. I know, I know...expect owner involvement. But not on a bike listed as excellent!  The search continues. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bugger! I am in the same camp. It is very rare that a bike is advertised as average condition and you go and inspect to find it is in excellent condition! I am picky but if I take it on, some of the condition issues are soon forgotten once in my ownership.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NicoNZ said:

Bugger! I am in the same camp. It is very rare that a bike is advertised as average condition and you go and inspect to find it is in excellent condition! I am picky but if I take it on, some of the condition issues are soon forgotten once in my ownership.

It's not forgotten by me if I have to fix it...:luigi:

• Haha 1

Activpop,

I see you're in Sherwood OR. Look in current Craig's listings under Moto Guzzi. There is a 2004/2005 Ballabio advertised on Craig's List. Believe it's in Dundee area. Looked like a Burgundy color. Perhaps it's the one you just checked out?

15 hours ago, activpop said:

It's not forgotten by me if I have to fix it...:luigi:

I go over everything when I purchase a new bike. I don't trust any previous owner particularly when it comes to driveline and brakes. Its a semi strip down and clean/replace/repair before I head out on any serious ride.

I am lucky I enjoy fixing things and working on bikes. Only being able to afford old bikes is part of the problem :bike:

• Like 8

7 hours ago, NicoNZ said:

I go over everything when I purchase a new bike. I don't trust any previous owner particularly when it comes to driveline and brakes. Its a semi strip down and clean/replace/repair before I head out on any serious ride.

I am lucky I enjoy fixing things and working on bikes. Only being able to afford old bikes is part of the problem :bike:

You are right to do that! I do the same thing...I like to know what's going on beneath me.  My point was that this was advertised to be in excellent condition.  You can make some assumptions on a bike that presents itself well as to the level of care it has received.  But when it has six months of road grime on it, missing hardware, slop in the throttle and old tires, other assumptions can be made. Polishing up the tank doesn't hide all that.

• Like 3

Makes me ponder how I would list mySport, as to "condition" . . .

> Lunar Lander Module, well used, expertly seen to. Various re-entry burns evident. <

:blink:  :luigi:  :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, docc said:

> Lunar Lander Module, well used, expertly seen to. Various re-entry burns evident. <

"excellent patina"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/31/2023 at 7:42 PM, docc said:

docc, you're never going to sell that. When you are ready to part with your silver V11, it's going in a museum somwhere. In our world, it is the most famous Sport of all...at least the most photographed and well documented.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

"excellent patina"

14 minutes ago, activpop said:

docc, you're never going to sell that. When you are ready to part with your silver V11, it's going in a museum somwhere. At least in our world, it is the most famous Sport of all...at least the most photographed and well documented.

Maybe more like, "undeniable patina " . . . :whistle:

IMG_7545.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1