Rear Wheel Spacer Question

BlackEmperor_Moto

Hi all!

Been lurking here about 18 months. About as long as I’ve had my (new to me) V11. The information on this forum has been invaluable to me for getting my hands dirty with maintenance stuff on my bike. Now it seems I need some advice. 

I needed tires / tyres, I figured it was a simple enough chore. I didn’t bother reading up on it here (lesson learned). That is until my 2nd set of rear wheel bearings in as many months. So I did some research and found the post on ever shrinking rear wheel bearing spacer. Excellent! I thought, a solution. Until I tried to get one. There do not seems to be any new ones available in the US and lead time to get one is 6 f’ing weeks.

the bike: 2003 V11 sport all stock (as far as I can tell)  17k miles on the OD

Which brings me to my question: 

do any of you amazing Moto Guzzi aficionados have, know where I can get, or have a known fabricator for this rear wheel spacer

also verifying some info - OEM part number is 

GU01634000

yes?

thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Verified Inner Spacer part number: GU 01634000

Mine came from Harpermoto in 2019, $30.70US. For best results "call" Curtis. "On the phone."

Once in hand, verify the replacement spacer is the correct 113mm.

I have also had the very best results with the KOYO bearings in C3 specification.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BlackEmperor_Moto said:

GU01634000

at Stein-Dinse:

https://www.stein-dinse.com/en/item-2-1021625-01634000-.html

from this parts diagramme:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/etkataloge/etkataloge.php?l=de&h=MG&m=222&t=5455#a177240

at Wendel:

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/hinterrad-v11-03-04-corsa-ex-30_3006_300602_30060204_3006020410_300602041024.html

part no. 6

and a parts list at Guzzitek.org :

https://guzzitek.org/parts_list/gb/1100/V11LM_Nak_RC_Cat_2003_122002_PL.pdf

part no. 6 on page 116

So it looks like your part number is correct.

Incidentally, I didn't put in three links to be a smart-arse, but rather to give an idea where one can go to check on part numbers. ;)

PS: docc beat me to it, but I worked so hard on this I'm posting it anyway...:bbblll:

PPS: I read somewhere about spacers to fill out the missing length on the spacer. Don't know if it was here or somewhere else. That might be an option, if you can figure out how much too short yours is. Apparently a bit too long is not as bad as a bit too short. Having said that, I can imagine that an additional short spacer in there would be an absolute pain to install. :huh2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlackEmperor_Moto said:

Hi all!

Been lurking here about 18 months. About as long as I’ve had my (new to me) V11. The information on this forum has been invaluable to me for getting my hands dirty with maintenance stuff on my bike. Now it seems I need some advice. 

I needed tires / tyres, I figured it was a simple enough chore. I didn’t bother reading up on it here (lesson learned). That is until my 2nd set of rear wheel bearings in as many months. So I did some research and found the post on ever shrinking rear wheel bearing spacer. Excellent! I thought, a solution. Until I tried to get one. There do not seems to be any new ones available in the US and lead time to get one is 6 f’ing weeks.

the bike: 2003 V11 sport all stock (as far as I can tell)  17k miles on the OD

Which brings me to my question: 

do any of you amazing Moto Guzzi aficionados have, know where I can get, or have a known fabricator for this rear wheel spacer

GU01634000

yes?

thanks in advance!

You leave off the GU when searching for or ordering Guzzi parts. Just use the numerics.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

You leave off the GU when searching for or ordering Guzzi parts. Just use the numerics.

Phil

That is good advice! I find that some websites use the GU and others do not. I always search a particular source both ways.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, docc said:

What does your existing spacer length measure

I believe I have read here that it is supposed to be 113 mm. . Is that correct?

Relevant to me because I expect to be changing the wheel bearings in the rear wheel of my 2002 Le Mans in the very near future. I'd like to be able to check the length of the spacer while I'm at it. ;)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I believe I have read here that it is supposed to be 113 mm. . Is that correct?

Relevant to me because I expect to be changing the wheel bearings in the rear wheel of my 2002 Le Mans in the very near future. I'd like to be able to check the length of the spacer while I'm at it. ;)

113mm is correct.

IIRC, there were some very early spacers 110mm. So, all along, I thought my 112mm spacer was "fine."  Not so!

Take it from a guy that learned this the hard way!

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8890.jpg

[edit: Plus: those SKF totally put me on that rollback 310 miles from home. I'll never run anything but:

KOYO 6304 2RS C3 Deep Groove Ball Bearings 20x52x 5mm

for that application . . .

61YY0mXduOL._SL1080_.jpg

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, docc said:

That is good advice! I find that some websites use the GU and others do not. I always search a particular source both ways.

I always google Guzzi and the p/n without the GU. Don't know if I'm missing out on some sources but I've always got more than I can deal with that way.

Phil

• Like 1

There is only one way to know the required bearing spacer length. Measure it. As already pointed out the factory has supplied 3 different lengths at different times so how do you know 113 is the right answer for your wheel. When you remove the first wheel bearing use a 6"vernia to depth measure between the old bearing race ( provided it isn't totally shagged) and the wheel bearing recess shoulder and thats the spacer length you need plus, .1 to .2mm exactly. Any less than the base measurement and you'll have bearing issues any more than the baseline plus .2mm and you should be fine. A little longer is fine a little shorter is not. Years ago I used some glued on shims to adjust the length of mine as it was only .5 or so short and I couldn't machine up a new spacer at that time.

Phil 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I always google Guzzi and the p/n without the GU. Don't know if I'm missing out on some sources but I've always got more than I can deal with that way.

Phil

That ("web search") works using just the numerals.  My first seven results are a water gauging station on the Shenandoah River in Virginia, USA, but #8 is the part at Harper.

Of course, the fact that I already searched and found that part at Harper caused the search engine to hand it back to me like it knew what I was looking for already. :nerd: There is some matter of tautology in this web search business.

• Like 1

Yea docc thats why I always actually use "Guzzi part" not just Guzzi before the numbers in fact. Forgot the "part" bit.

I must say parts are getting harder and harder to come by these days. New parts are thin on the ground and used parts are more affordable but there's a lot of "suspect" parts and sellers out there and shipping is making the costs exorbitant. You should see the cost and speed of availability of RE parts direct from India. The parts are dirt cheap and the service is the best I've ever experienced. Hows $300US for a brand new painted fuel tank shipped to your door in under 10 days sound. 

Phil

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, docc said:

Still very interested in @BlackEmperor_Moto's length measurement on his existing inner spacer . . . :huh2:

Here ya go @docc Sorry for the dupe posts. Getting used to how this site works:

I did email Harpermoto. I tried calling yesterday but no answer. I'll try again tomorrow. I didn't figure they'd be open today.

the length of my current spacer is 112.7mm as accurately as I could measure.

Also, i did a web search using just the numbers as you stated above an dI was able to find a couple of places that show the part, but do not confirm it's available. 

All the research I've found has show the spacer needs to be 113.2 (+/- .1 mm). My numbers are an average of the different info I'v found. 

Additionally I'm happy to shim the existing spacer if I can find the shims. I have no idea were to look for those.

Thanks all for the replies!

• Like 1