Rear Wheel Spacer Question

BlackEmperor_Moto

We know that it's important to have the rear wheel spacer stack-up right, or bearing life will be short. It's difficult visualize the parts that make up the stack-up, so I marked up manual pages in the attachment to show the parts involved in clamping the inner races of each bearing. Sizes are included. The sizes are my measurements, so if you have any comments, then I can edit the pages. 

V11 Rear Wheel Spacers v1.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just got word back from Harpermoto and Gutsbits. Harpermoto said 4 - 6 weeks, Gitsbits said, and I quote, “currently unavailable”. Looks like fabrication may be my only route. I may, at another’s suggestion, get this and cut it to size. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/product/1968T94

Just now, BlackEmperor_Moto said:

I just got word back from Harpermoto and Gutsbits. Harpermoto said 4 - 6 weeks, Gitsbits said, and I quote, “currently unavailable”. Looks like fabrication may be my only route. I may, at another’s suggestion, get this and cut it to size. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/product/1968T94

I was looking at the diagrams.  Are the flanges on the spacer necessary? Is it that simple that I could cut a piece of this pipe and slap it in there!?

1 hour ago, OldButNotDead said:

I've likely got a spare (I had several made years ago) for the cost of shipping. Can check if you like.

Hells yea! I’ll take and I’d pay ya double if ya find it. You’re welcome to dm me, and we can swap details. 

3 hours ago, BlackEmperor_Moto said:

Are the flanges on the spacer necessary?

I believe their only purpose is to keep the spacer more or less lined up with the hole in the bearing so you can get the axle in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, audiomick said:

I believe their only purpose is to keep the spacer more or less lined up with the hole in the bearing so you can get the axle in.

That is correct Mick

Phil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

That is correct Mick

Phil

That’s amazing. Thanks both 

21 hours ago, BlackEmperor_Moto said:

Hells yea! I’ll take and I’d pay ya double if ya find it. You’re welcome to dm me, and we can swap details. 

I had a few made up when a rear bearing failed after only 3 years. I do still have a spare made from this: https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/carbon-steel/1-od-x-0-095-wall-x-0-81-id-carbon-steel-round-tube-a513-type-5-dom/pid/7564

I don't recall flanges, but can say that I installed one in 2006 and haven't had any bearing failures since.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, update: She's back on the road w/ a temp fix. I got her put back together with the OG spacer and shims, well shim actually (total length is 113.1 mm). I've done 200+ miles, hit triple digit mph at least once, so far. No issues. I'm waiting on delivery of parts and will update once completed. Again, thank you everyone that pitched in on this. all your suggestions and help was invaluable. Cheers

• Like 4