The new BMW 1300 GS is no longer a GS?

The GS contributed to create a completely new genre of Motorcycles; right up to the 1250 GS.

2023 1300 GS seems to have taken a new direction from the long running spirit of what the GS was, is?

It now looks more like a Moto Guzzi V100 than a GS. But still with the BMW innovative technology. From what I understood, they have finally gotten the Telelever front suspension to work so you could get all the perks of the system, without its major inconvenient: the lack of front feeling. According to the journalists that rode it, including on terrain, it feels like a conventional suspension, but provides the rigorousness and precision of a Telelever. 

They also have tweaked the engine, so the response is a lot more linear than it used to be. For those of us who like their torque at low rpm, well the new 1300 GS no more. Or no longer the same would be probably more accurate.

I never liked BMW motorcycles, so it is all the same to me.

The Quota initially and Stelvio now are what appeal to me for a second bike, whenever I get the space if I ever get it.

• Haha 1

I'm gonna imagine that they keep trying to get the balance of "gelande" and "strasse" satisfactory for the majority of their customers. Soon, for me they will have to include a wheelchair ramp or a booster of some sort. And I know; I spent 8 years and 90k mi. trying to kill a '95 GS which still lies nearly dead in my garage...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, billgreenman1 said:

I'm gonna imagine that they keep trying to get the balance of "gelande" and "strasse" satisfactory for the majority of their customers. Soon, for me they will have to include a wheelchair ramp or a booster of some sort. And I know; I spent 8 years and 90k mi. trying to kill a '95 GS which still lies nearly dead in my garage...

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I have seen the Neue, übber alles BMW R1300 GS, I am convinced it is a "coup de Maître!".

There will be plenty of comparisons, including with the Stelvio, but BMW really got it right on this one. Obviously, their main objective was to get younger riders to buy into the myth.

I cannot explain my dislike for the BMW brand, since it originates from the early days of my interest in motorcycles. I know it has no valid foundation. I had the same slight for Honda. I think it was only because I was into two strokes engines at the time.

My Moto Guzzi fascination was constructed from reading the Anne France Dauteville report of her participation to the raid "Paris - Ispahan -Paris" in the 70's.