Fuel Tank Cap

Lucky Phil

New tank cap. Required a bit of modification to work. I made up a new FKM flat seal as the originals don't hold up. A new vent tube in fuel proof tube as the original clear tube isn't fuel proof, some standoffs to get the compression of the flange gasket correct and a 2mm flange washer to get the distances and seal compression correct on the main seal. These Chinese caps are cheap and well made although they are short on the design details that are important for a proper fit that seals correctly. You won't be aware of this until one day if the bike falls over or you fill the tank too much and you get fuel leaking everywhere out of the cap assembly. Titanium fasteners, naturally. The last thing you need is fuel leaking out the cap assy onto a hot engine in the event of a silly tip over.

Phil  

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welldone, Phil, as usual! :thumbsup:

I have long thought my vent and overflow tubes are weeping fuel into the exit. Seems like such a monumental task to address, I just built a catch can instead.

IMG_9504.jpg

Was that the spooge docc? Have you ever replaced/checked the sealing between the tank flange/cap adaptor and the tank itself?

This is what the old caps seal looked like ( not the OEM cap but another ebay cap) the flat seal they use is Nitrile and over compressed. They don't last for anyone thinking of using an ebay cap. They either do this or swell and distort badly. FKM material is the solution as usual and getting the compression of the seal correct.. 

Phil  

IMG_3497.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2