The Guzzi of rotary winged aircraft?

Somehow, YouTube's algorithm popped up with this 1960s Soviet designed twin radial-engined helicopter: the Kamov Ka26. Normally a utility and crop-dusting craft, the radial engine thunder and the whine of the cooling fans on the shrouded engines lends an almost Guzzi-like, visceral quality to it. Pilots seem to love it, as it is very benign handling for a 'copter. Apparently, if you lose an engine, you simply have a slower craft. 

• Like 2

I saw a few of these in Afghanistan, where Russian contractors operated light freight. They had enclosed bodies, looked like they were carrying a VW bus. Goofy, reliable, and fun to watch. Has a console drink holder for the Vodka.

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I saw a few of these in Afghanistan, where Russian contractors operated light freight. They had enclosed bodies, looked like they were carrying a VW bus. Goofy, reliable, and fun to watch. Has a console drink holder for the Vodka.

Crop dusting all that grain, one's mind begins to think about what could be made from all that grain. On a hot and dusty day. Or a rainy day. A gray day. Any day...

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Crop dusting all that grain, one's mind begins to think about what could be made from all that grain. On a hot and dusty day. Or a rainy day. A gray day. Any day...

It wasn't so difficult. The US forces prohibit alcohol due to being in a predominantly Muslim Country; so them sneaky wine aunts' care packages got confiscated. But of course, things being what they are, instead of destroying it and reporting it, them what had their hands on it sold it on the black market, and it found it's way to the receiver with extra cost, and sometimes to the ...others... in the area. The Russians reportedly paid a high premium for American liquor. I wouldn't know about that, of course, since I only played chess with them in their off time. 

• Haha 2