Decommissioning the oil cooler

innesa

I wonder if those of you that had to replace the hose AGAIN and AGAIN installed an aftermafket hose or geuine Guzzi item.  Yeah, I know MG doesn't make their own hoses but they do specify what the salient characteristics must be, some of those characteristics could be missing from the aftermarket offerings (aka generic, knock off, etc.). Anyway,  I've not had to replace mine, it looks good/ok to me, no weather checking and is pliable.  However, my breather hose is 20+ years old maybe I should buy one so the next time the tank is off I can replace it.  OEM or aftermarket??!!

Thanks,

Art

Geez, I just realized I got way off the oil cooler topic. 

Further to my entry post the replacement, there is still no leak, & we've had some warm days here in Melbourne, & stop/ start traffic being a feature of city driving, but no issues. Yet to tune, however the first tank yielded 190km before the orange light of anxiety came on. Pre breather replacement, it was standard for this to appear at the 150-170km mark. Pushed it out until it started to cough, which was at 210km. Fortunately, I was only about 100m away from a petrol station. Filling the tank saw 20.3 litres go in! Terrible economy, but better with the pipe replaced. I will say too that the orange light was not a very bright one, & in full daylight, was actually difficult to see. I would hate to be out & about, completely miss it, & find myself stranded, but I think now my sphincter starts to pucker around 170km on the odo! :D

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:19 AM, guzziart said:

I wonder if those of you that had to replace the hose AGAIN and AGAIN installed an aftermafket hose or geuine Guzzi item.  Yeah, I know MG doesn't make their own hoses but they do specify what the salient characteristics must be, some of those characteristics could be missing from the aftermarket offerings (aka generic, knock off, etc.). Anyway,  I've not had to replace mine, it looks good/ok to me, no weather checking and is pliable.  However, my breather hose is 20+ years old maybe I should buy one so the next time the tank is off I can replace it.  OEM or aftermarket??!!

Thanks,

Art

Geez, I just realized I got way off the oil cooler topic. 

I can only speak for myself, but felt inspired to make my own with appropriate hoses & clamps as talked about in the feed here (check replies): 

G'day mate.

20.3 litres....Wow I can only ever get 17 litres in!

Mind you I do look for a servo at 250K's when the ole light comes on so not sure how much I'd get in if I ever let her run dry.

After pushing a GPZ900 around the Boulevard many many years ago due to running out o gas..... I'm not about to try and find out!

Cheers 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 12:27 PM, innesa said:

I can only speak for myself, but felt inspired to make my own with appropriate hoses & clamps ...

Yes,  I did that too. I got some genuine oil resistant hose, and found that it was too stiff to install. So the hose is used for coupling a sharp s/steel elbow at the front and a bent up aluminum tube further back. It works well and the uglyness is well hidden. 

• Like 1