Exhaust

Guest erikhorton

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Graham in NZ

For excellent mufflers for the V11 series take a look at the Neptune website.

neptunemufflers.co.nz They have a US distributor.

On the site you'll see my black V11 with glossy black stainless mufflers, but other finishes are available.

They have removable tailpipe inserts, work with stock crossover and pipes and ECU. Clean running throughout. No more 5000rpm flat spot. Great sound.

Top quality. Rebuildable. Fit to existing brackets and toe plates.

Graham

Very nice looking....  :pic:

....but a USA distributor won't do me much good on my little rock in the Irish Sea.

Nige.  :blink:

Yep that's the problem.

Can anyone give more information on the Quat D box? I know it has been mentioned before but there was talk of problems - weld seams splitting? Is there a better version now that anyone has experience of?

Guest Graham in NZ

Hi, Ballacraine

It's a small world now. You could always deal with the NZ manufacturer direct. The website gives ordering options.

Regards

Graham

Guest erikhorton

OK, I dreamt this last night, and I don't know alot about exhausts, but, along the lines of modifying exhausts...

I just got my M4 exhausts in this week, noticed the lining on the inside of the cans. It's a steel (or some material) sleeve with what looks like 3-4 mm perforations all over it.

Does anybody have any idea what the result would be if you took a thin piece of sheet metal, drill 25-30 mm holes in it, rolled it to make a cylinder, and inserted inside the exhaust can. Maybe to be tack welded in place. This would cover up a given percentage of the factory perforations that allow exhuast flow into the packing material. I'm assuming that the less holes you put in the new sleeve, the closer to a straight pipe effect you'd get.

Here's a before and after sketch...

There is no point in doing what your thinking. There is fiberglass packing wrapped around that steel perforated tube that eventually gets burned out anyway & your pipes get louder over time. Depending on how much you ride or how loud is too loud you're going to be repacking your cans anyway. You want it to be louder? Then don't repack it ever.

Well, you would be blocking off a lot of holes in the pipe- true. But I suspect that what would happen is that you would get a truly 'straight pipe' sound. Loud. Raspy. Those perforations in the side of the pipe (and the mesh behind it) allow the higher frequency noise to be absorbed to some extent- those nice low notes just go on through. You won't get substantially any more flow (my conjecture). Sure, there's some turbulence caused by boundry effects, but isn't the M4 already essentially a straight pipe (I'm thinking the M4 is just a Mistral pipe...)?

Here's the easy experiment for you- take a piece of cardboard or posterboard, roll it into a tube and insert into the pipe. Start her up and listen. I would suggest paper, so you can pull it out again after the experiment. Maybe tie a piece of string on it for easy removal. I rather doubt you'll like it, but what do I know? I've never tried it myself.

Good luck!

J

(edit: BTW, don't forget you have a LOT of air moving through that pipe- don't be surprised if it blows the paper right out, LOL. You shoulda seen the first muffler I ever packed. OMG, you didn't want to ride behind me!)

Guest bshpilot
There is no point in doing what your thinking. There is fiberglass packing wrapped around that steel perforated tube that eventually gets burned out anyway & your pipes get louder over time. Depending on how much you ride or how loud is too loud you're going to be repacking your cans anyway. You want it to be louder? Then don't repack it ever.

Tex is right about the perf/tube...

at the same time if you dont repack it (depending on the

muffler) the perf tube will RATTLE and if you have carbon fiber

mufflers eventually the carbon fiber will melt (from heat) if

you ignore the need to repack.