Riding in Mandello del Lario

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first half of Antonio's post is certainly correct. :D

Actually, you simply cannot go wrong ... well, unless somehow you end up on the autostrada in a traffic jam. :blink:

Assuming you are renting from Agostini's, ask them. They will have more suggestions than you can ride in two months, much less two days. And, you really cannot go wrong. All SS roads north of the Po Valley are delights.

Best wishes. Post pics & a ride report.

Bill

The road along the lake, while scenic, is clogged with traffic & is so curvey that it's hard to find a place to pass. The town of Bellagio on the other side of the lake is very pretty. Best way to get there would be to take the ferry about 10 km. north of Mandello. Heading north will get you away from crowded streets and into the foothills of the Alps :thumbsup: That would be my recommendation...head north.

I forgot to mention...the entire country of Italy goes on vacation in August. I've never been there at that time but, I know the bike shop I deal with in Parma closes in August. I take it Agostini will be open since they're renting you a bike. I'm guessing hotels should be open but, you may want to book ahead of time since you'll be competing with the local Italians for rooms.

You may want to ask your Italian friend about what stays open in August.

Most businesses are closed but yes I can rent at Agostini's and the Moto Guzzi museum will be open but the factory closed. Hotels are open but usually quite full. I have reservations in a couple of places and the rest of my trip is business and all arranged.

Come on...He will stay for only two days. He has to look around for agriturismo…

We all know that Americans have a lot of money. And they come to Europe with fat dollars.

I know in Mandello is some Locandina to get some sleep. But there not a reason to get panic!

If you see “zimmer frei” take it! You are in the right place!!! And in the right country!!!

Am looking for all my 'fat dollars'. Looked under my CANADIAN passport and only found some 'skinny Canadian dollars'. Hope they are good enough.

No worries. most of the trip is company expenses so I'm sure I can afford a couple of days on my own.

Cheers!

There seems to be a little confusion about the August holidays in Italy. Agostini is closed from Saturday the 7th at mid day till Monday 23rd. Rentals are possible but only for the full holiday period.

Moto Guzzi and the museum will be closed from 6th to 29th.

Also if you see a sign "zimmer frei" you are probably in Switzerland or Austria so turn around and come back unless you like saurkraut. You are very unlikely to see a sign like that on this side of Lago di Como.

You can follow links from Guzzi Rent at Agostini to find accomodation.

Regards

Peter :mg: