Check your pipes

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

30,000 miles has hit with a little vengance.

The timing gasket leaked, now its replaced.

The bevel box bearing went south, now it is also fixed.

Sunny day here in Lotusland, wheel in place, bike washed and during drying I noticed that the right hand tailpipe has a circumferential crack in front of the heel plate, not in the aluminium cover but next to the ridge of stainless. Obviously all the way through as this was where the exhaust gas chose to exit.

Kudos to British Italian MC as they have lent me a pair of silver V11 pipes while they handle the warranty (14 months into it).

They have a set of Ti pipes and may ask MG if I can pay the difference.

Relatively high mileage may have some advantages as this might have occurred after the two year period.

With other bikes this may well have irritated me (especially as Baldini calls me Mr Angry :lol::lol: ), but it only confirms that this is a bike with foibles, and I have nothing but good to say how both MG and my local dealers act upon any issues.

Anyhoo, check your pipes. :luigi::luigi:

post-5-1088655842_thumb.jpg

Guest Brian Robson

Tx, I've never done a deliberate wheelie on any bike, never mind the LeMans. In fact there has never even been a passenger on this bike.

I have no idea how this occurred. :(:(

My left side head pipe cracked along the down bend with under 1000 miles on it. Currently being replaced under warranty. I welded up the crack so I could ride it while the boat is coming over from Italy with my pipe and gaskets. ;)

Dear Mr. Angry :angry: ,

Of course the stock pipes are throw aways just sound enough to get the bike home where you can swap out to something that says "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY."

You should consider yourself lucky to have gotten 30k out of them. :lol:

Seriously, I've also just turned 30k on my Sport and have followed your advice on checking over some things and tidying up a bit. Thanks for the posts and cheer up. :)

Guest Brian Robson

Update on the pipes. A dealer has the pipes and received a reply from Moto Guzzi saying that my mileage was too high and they will refuse to replace the pipes. The bike is 15 months old and was purchased new from a MG dealer.

The dealer is at present asking both MGUSA and the factory what "unlimited mileage" means when translated into Italian :doh:

I know what you're talking about Brian. I got the same answer when after 13 months of ownership the original battery gave up. I think I'm about to get the same answer with my incorrectly built up drive shaft, making it impossible to grease the front u-joint.

A car company could'nt play this game, it makes you wonder how bike companies can do it.

Ciao, Steve G.

30,000 miles has hit with a little vengance.

The timing gasket leaked, now its replaced.

The bevel box bearing went south, now it is also fixed.

Sunny day here in Lotusland, wheel in place, bike washed and during drying I noticed that the right hand tailpipe has a circumferential crack in front of the heel plate, not in the aluminium cover but next to the ridge of stainless. Obviously all the way through as this was where the exhaust gas chose to exit.

Kudos to British Italian MC as they have lent me a pair of silver V11 pipes while they handle the warranty (14 months into it).

They have a set of Ti pipes and may ask MG if I can pay the difference.

Relatively high mileage may have some advantages as this might have occurred after the two year period.

With other bikes this may well have irritated me (especially as Baldini calls me Mr Angry :lol::lol: ), but it only confirms that this is a bike with foibles, and I have nothing but good to say how both MG and my local dealers act upon any issues.

Anyhoo, check your pipes. :luigi::luigi:

Probably am I blind..! I can see no jack shit!

What’s the problem?

Hi Brian,

It's pretty clear to me this is another vibration related thing, and I've seen vibration related stuff happen on all bikes of every origin.

Ciao, Steve G.

My thoughts exactly!

Probably due to one mount being more rigid / tighter than another. Or maybe in some cases down to poor design of the mounts. In this case I would guess probably the former.

You will get a stress / fatigue failure just like that.

Nige. :(