tranny weep

Guest gooddog

Guest gooddog

i know that this has been covered before. i've got an oil weep from the bottom of the tranmission that doesn't ever pool anywhere but is present as an oily wet spot and a drop around the drain plug nut. it must wash onto the cross over whenever it rains, that is the only time that i smell the oil burning. i think that robbiek mentioned that he was having a tranny leak fixed, what kind of urgency do ya think this needs? i sort of remember jason at Moto I mentioning that he had fixed a tranny leek at one time when my bike was in for service, but it was a quick off hander. it was somewhat like the time he mentioned disposing of some "unessesary plumbing" for me, to notice that the charcoal cannisters were missing a few days later. how many of you guys have the weep?

ray

My LeMans has the same leak, seems to have slowed down some after I changed the oil. So fa, it doesn't leak enuff to drip on the ground when I park the bike, so I'll just keep an eye on it. :luigi:

mine puddles on the crossover, but not on the ground, anymore.

For a would drip on the ground, but then my mechanic tightened a few easily accessible bolts. which slowed it a little, then I removed the starter and tightened all accessible bolts.

That stopped it enough so that it no longer hit the ground.

Then durring a recent tire change, I tightened up some more bolts...not much change.

And then I put some non synthetic oil in.

It shifts sluggishly when cold now, but is fine when warmed up.

But it still smokes from the dripping oil. %$^@%&&!!!

So, back to the dealer, I guess....

FWIW I believe the gearbox has no gaskets, so it depends on tight bolts and possibly that honey like gasket cement that does not harden.

I tightened up some more bolts...

Careful with the bolt tightening. When I first had the side plate off I found one of the lowerbolts wouldn't pinch up, casing thread was knackered. Luckily I could get a longer bolt thru w/nut, but if it had been a blind hole....

KB :sun:

... that honey like gasket cement that does not harden.

You,ve got a 2000 sport, that goo is olive oil. :rolleyes: Later they went to a rubbery black sealant that works much better. Maybe if they'd been more certain to use virgin olive oil but it can be hard to tell for sure and olives don't always tell the truth about these things . . .

When the starter is off, look at the ends of the shafts for the shift plates where they penetrate the side case. These often weep and can be sealed with a good RTV silicone.