VALVE NOISE ?

svjj

I ADJUSTED MY VALVES TO .006 AND .010 INTAKE AND EXHAUST. THE LEFT CYLINDER HEAD HAS ONE VALVE THAT SEEMS TO HAVE A STEADY TICK NOISE. THE RIGHT SOUNDS A LITTLE NOISER THAN BEFORE BUT NO STEADY TICKING SOUND. I HAVE RE CHECKED BOTH SIDES ABOUT THREE TIMES AND ARE SPOT ON. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE ADJUSTED THE VALVES. I HAVE HEARD THE SAYING A TICKING VALVE IS A HAPPY VALVE BUT I WOULD FEEL A LITTLE BETTER IF BOTH CYLINDERS WERE MAKING THE SAME NOISY. IS THIS NORMAL AT THIS VALVE SETTING OR SHOULD I DO SOMETHING ELS?

THANKS,

JJ

Stick with the .006& .008 . Jeff gave valid reasons to use these specs http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3235 Your going to have some noise,it's normal & it's a good thing too. Also one side is going to make a little more noise than the other side, this is also normal. Pete Roper gave a explanation for this , but I cant find it .

Guest ratchethack

Just curious. Any particular reason you went with .006 and .010? This is not a setting I've seen recommended. It's double the normal intake/exhaust difference :huh2:

I PURCHASED THE RACECO EXHAUST THE POWER COMANDER AND THE K&N AIR FILTER. RACECO RECOMENDED .008 AND .010 FOR VALVE SETTINGS. I DID THIS AND RODE THE BIKE . NO TICKING NOISE ANFTER DOING THIS I JUST DID NOT LIKE THE WAY THE BIKE ACTED IN 6TH GEAR AT 60MPH. SO I WAS TOLD TO ADJUST THE INTAKE TO .006 AND I LEFT THE EXHAUST AT .010. THAT IS WHEN THE NOISE STARTED ON ONE SIDE. N0T REAL REAL LOUD BUT LEFT SIDE IS SLIGHTLY TICKING AND NOT ON THE LEFT SIDE. I HAVE CK THIS SEVERAL TIMES AND THE AJDUSTMENT HAS BEEN THE SAME? MAYBE I SOULD CHANGE THE EXHAUST TOO .008.

Guest Brian Robson

Set both sides to the same specifications. I think some of the extra noise comes from the slight offset of the cylinders and don't ride in top at 60 mph...that must be at about 3-3,500 rpm...keep it cooking over 5000Km in all gears :luigi::luigi:

Your specs are fine. See this thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3235

I have had the Raceco specs for a year or more without problem, but as the engine loosens more and more, I may go back to the Euro spec(.006/.008). I won't go back to the emissions driven too-tight North American spec ever though.

al

Guest ratchethack

Ditto twittaker's comment about lugging the engine! If you're expecting any kind of decent accelleration at 60 mph, you should be in 3rd at 5300 RPM. In 6th, you will have the worst kind of lugging and/or detonation. Best avoid this as a general rule of thumb. Get 'er up in the power band, man! :wacko:

I only notice the noise at idle . not under acceleration or anyother time. Tonight I am just going to set the valves at .006 and .008 and just be happy. I know I am lugging the bike but I only do this on the hwy when commuting. Before the adjustment I could do this with no problem I would just down shift to pass, but since I change the valve settings this has gotten much worse. I will just need to rev the bike more I guess at 60 mph.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help

Cheers,

JJ

I have noticed that the Lemans valve noise sounds louder due to the fairing channeling the noise up toward the rider.

When I had the 1000 mile service preformed at the dealer, besides setting the valve specs to Guzzi specs, they also adjusted one side backward, meaning the exhaust valve was adjusted to the intake spec, and vice versa. And yes, it did stall on me when ridden home. Readjusted the valves to Raceco specs. and everything was fine.

Try the .006 intake and .008 exhaust to see how your bike preforms. If you don't have the stall issue when comming off the Highways after a blast at full throttle at that valve spec, stick with it.

Mike