vacuum nipples

tomsp

ok dumb question - I took off my emission stuff from my le mans. good so far. I bought 1/4" vacuum nipples and put them on the vacuum inlets on both sides. they were too small and broke going on. so I bought 3/16 nipples and they went on just right. now 2 days later I looked down and both were missing. I put two more on.

should I clamp them on? lock tite? help.

thanks

I used the smallest gauge zip tie, tightened it up and snipped the end. Hope that helps.

I know it's worked for others, but I'll just reiterate that I had absolutely no luck using vaccuum nipple covers, as the heat would dry out and crack the "correct size" and they'd expand, and the vibration would pop them off. I lost every pair I tried, and I had the metal spring clamps on them :unsure:

I highly recommend using a bolt with a crush washer to replace the nipples, and you'll be guaranteed to avoid any vacuum leaks. Just save the brass nipples for TB balancing.

al

I have been using a pair for 30,000 trouble free miles. They are pain to get off but have not cracked or fallen off yet. You need to get a good grade cap for automotive use. I had picked up a pair from the shop I work in. I do not know the size, but they are tight.

Mike

Guest John T

I use Napa nipples and they work fine. I just replace them every year or so. Always have a pack hanging on the wall and a few in the monkey trap compartment on the Rosso.

I heard a rumor that a cool new Dyno shop is opening VERY soon in Connecticut. :whistle:

great advice from all. I have one more day before I take off again on a 4 day ride. I'll look for auto type nipples that look like the brass/bronze nipple head (you know, curvy looking), next I'll try the bolt thing from Al -- do you what size?. If I can't do that I'll use my old hoses and run one between them with the original clamps on them!

oh brother!

Guest albarnhart

This is what the best machanic in the aera did.3/16" hose and existing clamps, just hook both togrther :thumbsup:

I just took my stuff off last week, I went the bolt and washer route. The size is 6mm dia x 10 mm long. The local Ace Hdwe had black oxide steel hex head bolts this size for - um $0.27 each I think. To be really cheap I reused the aluminum washers that were already there under the brass fittings. A dab of never sieze and wala' - no unsightly black hose, no worries of cracking or loosing caps. The best 54 cent clutter reduction work I've ever done! :thumbsup:

I have to admit that although I consider all the dealers good for nothing the one I bought my bike from is really a good one. The exception confirming the rule, I guess.

When I bought my bike almost three years ago he asked if I wanted all the California "pollution" garbage removed before picking the bike up.

Yes, of course.

He plugged the holes with neat bolts which looked like factory installed. When doing my carb synch I just replace them with the nipples.

OK- I did two things! I put lock tite on the brass nipples and then re-stuck those plastic niple things back on-- they've held for 24 hours now (wow!) and seem to be tight. But....

I bought two bolts for $.79 and put those on! I put my two nipples with caps into my guzzi repair bag under da seat. So I'm set!

Great forum.

Sheesh, as an aside, I wonder why everyone else seemes to have gotten zinc plated bolts to hold their intakes on to the cylinders, where MG decided to give me 3 cruddy black oxide coated bolts that have rusted and weeped red oxide down the side of the cylinder everytime I washed the bike <_>

I replaced them with stainless bolts so no worries, but heres :bier: to the factory for just grabbing parts from the nearest bin :rolleyes:

al

Nope, just complaining that the three bolts that hold the intake manifold to the side of the cylinder(you can see two of them in your photo above) came as black oxide bolts on some bikes, like mine, and rust almost immediately..... <_>

I'm not talking about the blocking bolts you've used to seal the vacuum port. Zinc plated bolts should be just fine, or if you have SS, that's fine too. The one in your description/photo does seem to be a black steel one though, and if you don't care... don't worry about it. But it will rust.

:D

al