vacuum nipples

tomsp

Not an '02/'03 difference. Untreated iron bolts for the intake is just plain wrong. If you have the Zn plated fasteners, that's fine and there's no need to replace them (unless you just like stainless...nothing wrong with that).

One note- if you plug the vacuum port with a bolt, make sure it's not so long that it occludes the intake. That's probably obvious, but it should be mentioned.

J

Not an '02/'03 difference. Untreated iron bolts for the intake is just plain wrong. If you have the Zn plated fasteners, that's fine and there's no need to replace them (unless you just like stainless...nothing wrong with that).

One note- if you plug the vacuum port with a bolt, make sure it's not so long that it occludes the intake. That's probably obvious, but it should be mentioned.

J

An obvious question, but perhaps not so obvious an answer..... any idea how long is "long enough" versus "too long"??

I can certainly go look down the TB myself to answer the question, but never have. The bolts I've got are the ones the dealer gave me, and aren't really that long.... but I've thought about this question before, but never looked into it... both literally and figuratively :P

Anyway, how long should the bolt be to not get into the airstream? Any idea?

I suspect it's not a huge issue either way...

al

An obvious question, but perhaps not so obvious an answer..... any idea how long is "long enough" versus "too long"??

I suspect it's not a huge issue either way...

al

Just look at original brass nipples thread length. That is how long should your plugging bolts be.

The threaded portion of the brass nipples are 15 mm, that is why I selected the 10 mm long ones for the screws I used.

If you matched the length exactly (15mm) then you would avoid some unnecessary turbulence in the airstream.

OK, OK, at least it sounds smart, right? :P

Seems like 10 mm would be a little long. I wouldn't want the things protruding into the air flow. I shortened mine a bit.