Pipes

Guest Jim Hayes

...brute force.

They'll come off. You pull up on the bottom of the cap a bit, getting it out a little... then just PULL, and it will pop off.

.. the hardest part is to get them backon :blink:

Use a hot air gun and warm the end of the muffler cover

and you can insert it quiet easily.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest choldy

thanks Al, don't mean to sound like a numpty but always like to check before resorting to good old brute force and big hammers :luigi:

thanks Al, don't mean to sound like a numpty but always like to check before resorting to good old brute force and big hammers :luigi:

...no worries, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask that ends up knackering something up :P

BTW, given that they are a bit tough to get off, yes as pointed out above, they are also reluctant to get back on. However I found that getting them on also just takes a little determination, wiggling, and a smart whack with the heel of your hand.... and pop right on :luigi:

al

Guest choldy

OK the brute force worked very well thanks, My cans are now drilled and gives the bike a nice rumble at tickover, not near as loud as the 4 into 4 race sytem on my GSX14. Lets me be a little less paranoid about police checks :helmet:

• 11 months later...
Guest Roadslayer

Let me start out by saying in the old days we just took the mufflers off and ran the straight pipes, but those day's are gone. In '79' I took my new shovelhead to the local machine shop where he turned up the amps on his welder to max and literaly fried the guts out of the insides of the muffler. Sounded good and my girlfriend love a man who rode a firebreathing motorcycle. Sense then I've grown alittle more caucious. Now I have an "02" LeMans that sounded like shite from the get go. What to do. Now. Right away. I pulled yhe endcaps off the guts are all welded up. Burn that shite out or drill holes in it or cut it out and pull the stuffings out buy the handfull. I'm not scientifical enough to know what would happen if I did any one of these things. So I opted for Mistrals which were on the shelf and moderatly priced at about $600 U.S. The sound is great and required very little tech mods. They take 15 minutes to install and may not need the PowerCommander which is so often sold as a "yes but". But back to others comments,I admire the folks that just rip the feces out of those stinking pipes and blast the farkles out and have a good time at knowbodies cost. At least in theory. Or so,as such."Kinda". "Sorta." "Cheers" Roadslayer"

Scura + Remus GP pipes = most glorious deep rumble (this side of a worked V8).

Because the note is so deep, it does'nt seem to offend.

On the Staintune question - they are VERY well made, last longer than most bikes, are louder than the Remus cans (& more raspy) BUT they are not light in the stainless steel trim, never ever.

Regards,

n_s_S!

Guest Graham in NZ

For excellent mufflers for the V11 series take a look at the Neptune website.

neptunemufflers.co.nz They have a US distributor.

On the site you'll see my black V11 with glossy black stainless mufflers, but other finishes are available.

They have removable tailpipe inserts, work with stock crossover and pipes and ECU. Clean running throughout. No more 5000rpm flat spot. Great sound.

Top quality. Rebuildable. Fit to existing brackets and toe plates.

Graham

Graham.. thanks for the link.. looks like a nice setup for touring w/ the raised bars and that luggage rack.. Do they selll a lot of pipes? I like the high style ones.

Cheers, Tim

WOW.. that was fast.. emailed Adventurersworkshop (the distributor) and the answer was back in 10 minutes..

Pricing for the mufflers without delivery is:

Oval polished or brushed $390 per piece

Oval black chrome $420 per piece

Twin Outlet polished or brushed $450 per piece

Twin Outlet black chrome $495 per piece

Removeable baffles are available for $40 per side.

Cheers, Tim

• 6 months later...

I started a thread and I guess I should have just read further into some topics because I couldn't find anything at first. Like I've heard the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. But you don't look too intelligent when most of your answers were right in front of you. Those neptunes look nice enough but not the look I was going for exactly. going for the FBF ovals anyone have some good experience with those?

I went down this road once before - FYI, here's the info I got back from G&B.

Good afternoon Mr Phil,

following your kind enquiry pls find mentioned below some info about the requested part:

code 200099008 Central exhaust system for Moto Guzzi V11 (with catalyzer)

to be mounted under the egar, equipped with conical collectors. Suitable for Moto Guzzi V11 (all models).

POWER: increase of 3,9 CV compared to the original (equally distributed on the whole using scale).

TORQUE: increase of 0,32 KGM compared to the original.

WEIGHT: whole plant 7,3 KG reduction of 9,1 KG compared to the original.

DYNAMIC CHARACTERISTICS: The weight reduction combine to the mass approaching to the barycentre improves the bend insertion and the agility in the "flip-flop" considerably.

Euro 412.50 ex-works Missaglia, Italy.

Should you be interested in the transport costs free to your premises, pls let us know and we will provide the quotation promptly.

Paiement: 100% SWIFT at order on

I have decided to drill the stack cans on my V11 Sport to get a little more sound, I have taken out the end cap fasteners but cannot seems to get the end cap off, is there a special 'knack' to this or is it jus brute force?  :homer:

9602[/snapback]

[knack] Soft-faced (plastic, rubber, wood) mallet, one good thwack. [/knack]

Mistral silencers .... Oval vs Round... Is there a difference in SOUND? or FLOW?  If not why 2 different ones.. Is it just LOOKS?

238[/snapback]

Oval parts [tubing, endcaps] harder to source, more costly. Can ends ups giving better ground clearance for a given volume.

Round: cheaper, easier construction.

That's about it.

Thanks Jaap. After checking if my crossover contains an extra muffler I will perform similar operation on my cans.

141[/snapback]

The stock crossover doesn't have an extra muffler: it has the catalytic grid for scrubbing the exhaust! No point to taking it out: it won't flow significantly better and you'll be increasing your pollution by an order of magnitude or so...

:blink:

If you're going to increase your pollutants, you might as well get some extra perf. out of it & get the Stucchi...

:P: