FBF airbox has arrived

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

So it came! Yeah!

Is it a big process to remove the gas tank? I want to install new horns too - should I wait and do it all at the same time?

How do I remove the tank anyway? Should it be drained?

How simple is the airbox installation - should I know anything beyond the oversimpified instructions? I would love pictures. I will take pictures of this process!

Rob,

It's easy to remove the tank. Loosen and remove the gas line on the left side and the return line on the right (if you have a manual petcock, then close it :homer: ). There's no need to drain the tank, but put a piece of soft cardboard or cloth on the ground to lay the tank on. I also put a 2X4 under the back of the tank (when it's off) to keep it up off the hardware. Anyhow, loosen the bolt at the back of the tank, under the seat. Careful not to drop the nut- it's a weird one. Lift up the tank a little, 2-5" or so (a piece of wood can be used to prop the tank up), and reach up and pop off the two lines that go up the center line (vents). If you have an electric petcock, then disconnect the electrics, also the fuel sensor, both are on the left side. Then just lift the tank back, up and off. A Lemans might be a bit more cramped, this is what I do on my sport. 5 minutes, tops- 10 the first time.

This is an excellent time to install the horns, but you will see that it is so easy to pull the tank, that you can install them anytime.

J

Rob, I'm anxious to hear what you think of the increased noise from the airbox mod. Northend loves his. What kind of pipes are you using?

Guest dkgross

docc..I've got the Guzzi pipes, and had the FBF airbox put on today. I don't really notice any extra 'noise' , but there's an additional deep throaty-ness to the bike now. Really growly. I had a PCIII installed as well with a map from Todd, and she runs great.

Dyno to come next week.

Guest robbrugg

So - it's in!!!

The bike is a little peppier, and the sound is more RAW - I love it. I'm liking how much cleaner it looks too.

I do have a question - on the small hoses that connect up underneath the tank (wish I knew the exact names - maybe guzziology will help), I felt that they weren't secure enough - is it a matter of just "popping" them back on? I guess I would feel more secure if I knew they were clamped down, but it might be overkill...

(Directions on this stuff stinks, man! I took photos of every step and will be posting them on a guzzi site I'm working on for other beginners like me)

Well, of course, in your photo... there should be TWO lines, each attached to a nipple.

The one on the left is the overflow/overfill drain, and one on the right is the cap vent. Although either could leak fluid, typically only the left would in normal circumstances, and as such Guzzi usually only includes a spring/thumb clamp on that line. The vent line on the right typically just "pops" onto the nipple, and isn't that critical if it comes off... although you really don't want it to on a regular basis :rolleyes:

Anyway, point being... clamps are not required, but if you want to clamp one, clamp the left one. I wouldn't put any type of clamp on there that you can't get off by hand though, otherwise it will make future tank removals a PITA :P

Oh, and BTW.... get rid of that big black thing in the picture... that's the infamous "tip over valve" that will undoubtedly cause "tank suck" for you, especially in the position you show it in the photo, as it will not stay perfectly vertical.

See: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=462

Hope that helps ^_^

al

The other thing you'll notice is that all that heat sheild is held on by the worst glue ever made. I think they used wallpaper glue. 3M fast tack will be your friend, but wear gloves.

Congrats on getting the filter in!

J

Guest robbrugg

Al - you are the best. Thanks for letting me know what those two lines are for. And thanks to anyone that helped me on this. looking forward to more experience!

Robb

The extra noise off the FBF airbox kit isn't too wild until you really wrap it open. Then the sound will envelope you and you'll feel a suction on your lower regions......uh...better stop now or TX..might change his avatar back.

Be prepared to richen your mixture,

Guest Brian Robson

robbrugg, it appears as though you have the LeMans Beech with the wooden frame....check for worms once a month :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest robbrugg

Funny - I guess I AM a shade-tree-mechanic!

The sound really DOES ramp up when you spank this thing...

Guest northend

I'm not sure which sound i like better... the intake when i got it wide open, or the exaust cans when i let off and they inhale...wwaaaaahh!!--bbaaaaahh!! :D

Sometimes I just wind it up and let off just to hear both!!! The sound when we were running through the mountains was incredible :bike::grin:

Again I must say you all missed a helluva ride ( see July 9,10,11 southern gathering)