Buying a Sport V11

Guest avicente

Guest avicente

Hello fellows, I'm planning to enter Guzzi world by buying a V11. However here in Portugal there are not to mutch MGuzzi as that. So the guy in the shop was not able to give me mutch information on this bykes.

Basicaly my main worry is that since we dont have great market here in Portugal the experience in our dealers are not to big in solving problems with Guzzis.

So What I Like to ask someone, pure and simple, is if using this byke "normally" (50.000km in 3 years) without abusing it , it gives mutch problems or not.

I've being reading some topics in the Forum... fuel hoses, altitudes, hot temperatures... well ..... I'm igger to ear from you fellows good examples of many km in this bykes.

I mean... the dammed byke is a beauty... I really like to have the dealer sending one for me.... :mg:

Av

i'm afraid there can be more to sort out in the first three years than later on. Many of the problems with the early bikes ( 2000 - 2002) have been addressed. It is generally thought that the '03 - '04 bikes are more reliable.

They still invite you to learn and work on them yourself. :luigi:

They are delicious motorcycles. :food: Have you ridden one yet?

Face it, Av, you've been seduced. Nothing to do now but go along and enjoy it. :D

Seriously, one of the great things about this (and, in my opinion, the several other Guzzi boards around) is that Guzzisti are honest ... with themselves and others. Sure, we are as human as the next motorcycle loon, thus we love our Mandello machines illogically. At the same time, most of us temper our affection with candor. So, you will not see two things here as often as I have seen those elsewhere: intemperate, profane rants about how bad Guzzis are or, the reverse, i.e., unjustified paeans of puppy-love infatuations.

If you have strolled through past posts here, you know what I mean. Guzzis have some warts. But, to me, one of the great examples of "in-house" fixes are the "pawl-spring" threads. Yup, a potentially (and, in several of our cases, including mine, real) disabling problem. At same time, because of, in particular, belfastguzzi's efforts, that problem is now known, addressed, and a mere possible annoyance rather than a month-long scream.

But, even that misses the real point. Guzzis are what I call a "brown egg," a bit different. Probably always will be. Good. But, as a result, dealer support can be seemingly nonexistent. Thankfully, Guzzis are also, if not bullet proof, at least "easy" to work on. I have two Guzzis. Best material possessions I've ever owned. Nothing inaminate has given me greater joy.

Will that be your experience? Can't say. But, as I said at the outset, think it's too late for you. You are in love.

Best wishes. Hope to see soon that you made the leap.

Bill

I have my 2001 V11Sport since new and rode over 35,000 km so far. Fantastic bike and I did not have any problems with it at all.

The only warranty repair was an erratic speedo which was replaced by the dealer under warranty together with a speedo cable.

I do my own maintenance and I think it is important. There were few bolts which became loose with time or were not properly tightened from the factory. I also replaced muffler and x-over together with Power Commander. It resulted in much louder and nicer sounding engine and some iprovement in the top end. But stock it was running very well.

In a word; great bike.

Guest avicente

Well... many thanks for you're replies fellows.

You have said it all.

I'm one of those guys that must have something with... I dont know...

"Carisma".

I like your honest answers. You guys must understand that it will really be a BIGGGGG heap. :)

Why??? Well I never ride one, once just on "top" of a v11 in an event.

And if I decide to buy it, will be on pure instint gut.... "strange ...normally i tend to do that... & normally I get okay :)) "

So don't strange if I bother you with some more questions regarding Guzzis issues.

To tell you the truth I have 3 options till know, the guzzi was my 2nd one.

I think I will review my priorities.

As for the small interventions... well I have a zx6r from 2001 & this last year(since the warranty finish) myself, with the help of some friends, had made maitenance to the byke(change throtle cables, change pads, etc,etc..) and I enjoy it.

So, hope to give good news after my decision, since it also depends on the price the dealer will offer for my Ninja.

Ride safelly.

Alexandre V