Scura/Ohlins suspension sorted

dbdicker

Went down to Jackson NJ yesterday to pick up my Scura from Pro Pilot after Jim finished upgrading/modifying the stock Ohlins suspension bits for my weight and riding style. In short, the discussion on this forum and elsewhere was confirmed; Jim needed to revalve both the front forks and the rear shock as well as replace the stock spring on the rear shock to a heavier one.

The preload sag is preset, and I won't be messing with it: this rear shock has easy access to both damping controls but uses those nasty collars to set preload. Past that, he also has a computer analysis program that 'dials in' the variables of compression and rebound damping for my specifics. I will be getting a full report back from Jim about what those settings are, what can be adjusted and why, etc.......... but for now I just wanted to ride the bike a little and enjoy the Ohlins kit the way it was meant to behave.

I've only had the chance to ride the 100 miles back home yesterday, all on parkways -- hardly the best test of great suspension -- but even that short hour and a half ride has me saying three words: Oh My God.

I cannot believe how wonderful the bike feels compared to 1 week ago: It's fabulously compliant and plush, gliding over all the pavement irregularities without any harshness. Still, I can feel the street more clearly than before......what a pleasure.

When I get a few more hundred miles in, I'll report again about settings and subjective impressions. However, I think it's fair already to say that this experiment has been a major success. I think it's also fair to say that the OEM Ohlins kit was incorrectly spec'd, and that most everyone would be benefitted from this kind of reworking from an expert like Jim if they've got the stock '02 Ohlins equipment.

http://www.propilotracing.com]Pro Pilot Racing[/url]

Guest Neronut

Now you have made me jealous. A Scura with the Ohlins suspension properly tuned in, that's hot! :bike:

Now if I could find someone close to me to set up my suspension. :rasta:

Guest freddy

I'm happy to see i'm not totally crazy to find my bike is not as efficience as it could be.

You're lucky to have such personns close to your home.

Have good ride now :)

Hi db!

Ride hard this weekend so all Scuristi :bike: can benefit from your experience!

I'm quite happy with the standard set up so far (I have already tried to fiddle with the preload and what have you, but to no avail ) but I'm open to your experinece.

Maybe 'I've been unlucky with my attempts, but i'm all ears whenever your ready to share your thoughts!

Ride hard :rasta:

Søren

See, this is what I like about the Ohlins equipped bikes... the added "exclusivity" of their requiring professional tuners to get it "dialed in". This keeps the poseurs at bay :P

(Just poking a bit of fun at Gary's expense :D )

Glad to hear you got it all tuned for your needs. I'm sure that made a big and satisfying difference :bier:

al

Here's where I might differ from others. For me, I've enjoyed suspension changes much more than engine hop ups: High quality suspension has given me more pleasure than any 120-130hp bike ever has...........

No poser crap, that's what I like and where I prefer to spend my money. Other guys run for PCIII's and mistrals, I like shocks and tires.

Meanwhile, this email was sent to me by Jim at Pro Pilot about what he exactly did. I asked him to write in 'layman's terms' because, frankly, I couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about when he started to get technical and I'm working on a write-up for Todd Eagan at GuzziTech:

Suspension changes were fresh ohlins fluids / a little different than stock. Valving front and back were modified for your weight, and plushness with more controlled damping from the initial compression,smother transition into mid-stroke , and rest of travel with applicable bottoming resistance corrected for rider weight. Pretty simple .

Should feel "more Controled action" (less springy and jumpy) thru whole stroke front and rear with more usable function at adjusters.("better damping / much more comfy")

Spring on rear was a "must change" to a firmer rate that actually makes an additional plusher feel because of starting force and spring rate correction.( slightly less preload, better spring rate for your weight, and better "ride height and function")

Settings and on your invoice copy e- mailed to you. These are good starting points , also noted were the "full range of adjusters"). ex. Shock Rebound R-17 clicks out(40 posible clicks total ) etc.

Go ride some more and enjoy- Jim

Got that? Even in 'layman's terms', I don't quite get it...........but it feels good. :D

As to the set points for me? Here they are for right now:

Fork: Rebound 14 out of 30 possible - Compression 9 out of 30 possible

6 turns out on preload out of 16 turns possible

Shock: Rebound 17 out of 40 possible - Compression 16 out of 25 possible

Preload 13mm 12Bar of pressure

This guy is not a poser. He knows his stuff. He continues to race while rebuilding suspension during the week for the last 20 years and holds one of 2 licenses in the US to access Ohlins's database and know precisely what he's working on.............

Jim offers a box, send in service for those who can remove their shock. Turnaround is about a week, and at a very reasonable price, if you ask me.

Pro Pilot Racing Website

Dan

...I like shocks and tires...

Dan,

:thumbsup: . Good to hear you're pleased with the set up.

There's a couple things would be helpful to know....

1. What do you weigh kitted up to ride?

2. Are front springs left stock?

3. What rate rear spring did he fit? (It is marked clearly in black on outside of spring, eg. stock is 1091-26/85 L511 = 85 N/mm)

4. Were you asked what sort of riding you do? eg sport, cruising etc....?

Thanks,

KB :sun:

Dan,

duim.gif . Good to hear you're pleased with the set up.

There's a couple things would be helpful to know....

1. What do you weigh kitted up to ride?

2. Are front springs left stock?

3. What rate rear spring did he fit? (It is marked clearly in black on outside of spring, eg. stock is 1091-26/85 L511 = 85 N/mm)

4. Were you asked what sort of riding you do? eg sport, cruising etc....?

Thanks,

KB

Hi KB,

1. Jim weighed me with gear on, came out to (gulp!) 252 lbs..........

2. Yes. He said it was possible to go for heavier fork springs but didn't feel the range increase was worth the expense. Did go for a slightly different weight oil, though (245/262W).

3. The invoice is marked: SPG 1091-29 261F/248INS 13MM PRE. Does this make sense to you? I assume the 29 number refers to the rate, the 261 is the length and the 248 indicates the preloaded length as installed? If these figures aren't enough, I'll check the bike or call Jim.

4. Yes. I told him I was a guy who liked to ride long and turn corners, but a wasn't a racer by any means. He asked about what I was feeling with the stock suspension and seemed to instantly know what I wanted from the modification.

Dan

• Like 1