Euro Spec LeMans Headlight

al_roethlisberger

So, I was wiring up the relays for the headlight wiring retrofit the other day, and in the process of NUMEROUS on-off cycles of the lamp, you guess it... the high-beam filment in the bulb blew out :bbblll:

<_>

Now, even though all of us LeMans owners have learned the "easy way" to get the fairing off of these bikes, it's still a PITA... and as an aside, a completely STUPID design that the WHOLE FAIRING must come off to change the bulb(and don't tell me how one can take the little bottom part of the fairing off, and somehow get the bucket out... hogwash, that takes thrice as long, if at all :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I can't believe MG designed it the way it is. I feel sorry for anyone with a single bulb bike that has to disassemble a major portion of the bodywork just to change the bulb... sheesh, it's embarassing :whistle:

So anyhow.... since the bulb blew out, and my original reflector has somehow oxidized just a little bit... making it not quite as shiney reflective as in days of yore... I had a UK spec bucket that I got from a breaker lying about that I thought I'd fit and see how it goes.

Of course, the reflector is different for the UK bike, so I realize the issues there. But actually after looking at the refectors side by side(US versus UK spec).... it's interesting.

First, the reflector "channels" in the UK bike are a good bit wider. Also, although the US version has equal cut-off for right AND left, the UK version only has a cutoff for the right, leaving the left side to shine much much higher. Now this isn't a surprise with regard to the UK version, but I am surprised that the two reflectors simply aren't mirror images of eachother given our inverted driving positions on the road.

Well, I went ahead and installed the UK bucket(for a couple other reasons such as wiring SNAFUs from past projects, and just being lazy about pulling the bulb :P ) ... and rode around.

Even at night I didn't get any nasty honks or flashes(so far), but the UK reflector does seem to light up a broader swath on low beam for sure... and this is with the lower output stock lamp (60/55W) that what I had before (100/55W).

So I guess I'll keep it in for a while, until I see a plethora of angry high-beam flashes, or get a ticket :blink:

....but here's another observation, and my real reason/question for posting this.

The other difference in the UK bucket, is that is it not "sealed"(more or less) like the US version. The UK version has a gap around the metal ring, to allow for side-to-side adjustment of the lens(the US version is only up-down) within the bucket, and as such can allow water to enter the bucket itself. There are drain holes in the UK bucket trim bezel to allow any accumulated water to drain.

My question is, for those that have this style of bucket, and live in wet climates, wash their bikes a lot, or otherwise just get the bike blasted by water from the front...... do you have any issues with water damaging the wiring, bulb, and/or silver of the interior of the bucket?

The US version has the metal bezel wrapped tightly over the edge of the lens, drastically reducing the chances water would accumulate.

I don't know how much water could enter through this gap around the lens and between the bezel, but it looks large enough that riding at speed through a heavy downpour could allow a significant amount of water to enter :huh2:

Anyway, just curious about long-term durability of this style bucket/reflector.

al

1 Even at night I didn't get any nasty honks or flashes(so far)

2 live in wet climates, wash their bikes a lot, or otherwise just get the bike blasted by water from the front...... do you have any issues with water damaging the wiring, bulb, and/or silver of the interior of the bucket?

3 gap.... large enough that riding at speed through a heavy downpour could allow a significant amount of water to enter

1 Even when you are out wiggling your relay?

2 Constantly wet with Atlantic weather heading this direction and - No

3 I will need to check it, but I don't remember this gap and certainly water does not enter and collect

I have previously posted that I thought I had a "left hand drive" replacement headlight fitted following a lens smashed by a stone.

so on my UK bike with a headlight of uncertain origin

I get condensation within the unit

I have an orange coloured mark at the bottom of the reflector bowl - assumed to be rust

It get used all weathers , even spent easter and the following month living outside

In keeping with the classic nature of my V11 I've converted my lighting to acetylene. It never rains in Yorkshire (its all fallen on Ireland and Lancashire before it reaches me) so my box of matches stays dry :D

I forgot to mention that above 10 mph the little flame in the headlight goes out... :bike:

I forgot to mention that above 10 mph the little flame in the headlight goes out... :bike:

You can do an upgrade by adding a feed from a compressed oxygen tank. It shold increase the flame significantly. It's great for cutting through traffic at night.

hey, my lens is different on both sides too. which yes, caused me to wonder if it was euro or u.s. spec for where the light goes.

but for the actuall lightsource? well, that's what guzzi zippos were made for!!