U-joint Zerk fitting

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

How do I get grease into the fitting that is tucked away in the u-joint on the driveshaft? I know this has been probably talked about before but my grease gun's fitting will not penetrate(intercourse) with the zerk fitting. I got a brand new tube of Amsoil grease and no place to use it. Thanks

Just last week I purchased a fitting for my grease gun end, designed for those hard to reach grease nipples, basically a hollow needle with an end pointed and shaped to enter the nipple by slightly pushing the springed ball bearing sealer carefully back, and introduce grease. Made by Lincoln, model # 5803, called the needle nozzle, I must admit to not having a chance to use it yet. Long overtime hours at work is one problem. Secondly, I thought it might be an idea to slightly bend it into a slight hook, making it easier to get to that bugger of a u-joint closest to the gearbox. My ever enterprising neighbour offered to do this, but it turns out the devise does not bend, it breaks. So, as I write this, Saturday morning, I will be getting a new one today. I think it cost $10 cdn.

I'm confident that it will help in this most difficult maintenance task, and I'd like to think it would help in eliminating the need to lift the rear of the bike, drop the rear axle off the shock etc..

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Brian Robson

Steve, your neighbour and I had the same idea with the same result. But it does work well and can be used easily once the wheel is out and the bevel box pulled off. :luigi::luigi: The needle is solid and allows the u -joint to be lubed.

Zerk fittings are common on aircraft so if you have trouble finding a needle fitting for your grease gun you could try a maintenance shop at the nearest airport. Another trick is to bend the needle fitting to 90 degrees to get into tight spots. Aircraft mechanics have been doing this for many years.

Here are some choices at mcmaster.com:

Grease Gun Accessories

For information about pipe size, see pages 2-3 .

Stainless Steel Grease Injector Needles

Perfect for dispensing precise amounts of grease. These needles lubricate sealed bearings and allow pinpoint penetration of boots and gaskets in hard-to-reach areas.

Thread-On Needles

45° Angle

90° Curved

Available Needle Gauge Sizes

Straight

17 ga. 0.059" OD

18 ga. 0.050" OD

19 ga. 0.042" OD

20 ga. 0.035" OD

22 ga. 0.028" OD

24 ga. 0.022" OD

Choose from straight, 45° angle, or 90° curved needles. Threads are 1/4"-28 female. Nickel-plated steel adapters (sold separately below) are available for grease guns and flexible hoses. To Order: Please specify gauge size from the list at right. Needle O'all Needle Each

Style Length Length 1-11 12-Up

Straight 1 5/8" 1/2" 10475K11 $4.41 $3.66

Straight 1 7/8" 3/4" 10475K12 4.41 3.66

Straight 2 1/8" 1" 10475K13 4.41 3.66

Straight 3" 2" 10475K14 4.41 3.66

45° Angle 1 1/2" 1/2" 10475K21 6.18 5.12

90° Curved 1 3/8" 1/2" 10475K31 6.18 5.12

Nickel-Plated Steel Adapters for Thread-On Needles

For Grease Gun

For Flexible Hose

Connects Each

Needle to Thread Size 1-11 12-Up

Grease Gun 1/4"-28 male x 1/8" NPT male 10475K51 $2.50 $2.07

Flexible Hose 1/4"-28 male x 1/8" NPT female 10475K52 2.50 2.07

Snap-In Needles

Straight

Needles snap directly into the coupler of your grease gun for speed and convenience.

Straight with Flexible Tube

Needle O'all Needle Each

Style Ga. OD Length Length 1-11 12-Up

Straight 18 0.050" 2" 1 1/4" 1187K14 $2.05 $1.73

Straight 16 0.065" 2 3/16" 1 1/2" 1187K11 2.05 1.73

Straight 16 0.065" 2 3/4" 1 7/16" 1078K85 3.85 3.26

Straight w/Flexible Tube 16 0.065" 16" 1 1/2" 1078K83 9.19 7.88

Steel Extension Adapters

A

B

C

D Shown Rigid

D Shown Flexed

E

F

G

H

J

Threaded Adapters

Quick-Connect Adapters

Adapters thread into the head of your grease gun. One end has a 1/8" NPT male connection. Use with manual grease guns, unless noted.

A 6" Lg. Rigid Extension Tube with Standard Coupler- Combination extension tube/coupler fits all kinds of grease fittings.

B 5 1/2" Lg. Rigid Extension Tube with Heavy Duty Coupler- Same as the coupler shown above but built for heavy use. Use with both manual grease guns and air-powered grease systems.

C 8" Lg. Rigid Extension Tube with 180° Swivel Coupler- A sliding, spring-loaded sleeve locks coupler in place for straight applications or at any angle up to 90° .

D Flex-Rigid Extension Tube with Standard Coupler- Slide the steel sleeve along this adapter to shift from a flexible to a rigid extension. Includes a 5 1/2" straight rigid extension tube and a 6 3/4" flexible polyurethane hose. Overall length is 13".

Adapters have a standard grease fitting with a locking sleeve that snaps into your grease gun's existing extension/coupler. Use with manual grease guns and air-powered grease systems.

E Locking Sleeve Adapter- Has a 1/8" NPT female connection. Connects any 1/8" NPT male extension nozzle to a coupler. Overall length is 2 3/8".

F Recessed Fitting Adapter- When a standard coupler won't reach recessed fittings, this adapter will. Its small-diameter head presses against the fitting. Overall length is 6".

G 90° Recessed Fitting Adapter- Same as the recessed fitting adapter above but set at a 90° angle. With this adapter, there's no need to remove front "deep dish" wheels to lubricate tie rod ends and ball joints. Overall length is 4 1/2".

H 90° Extension Adapter- Set at a 90° angle to reach around corners. Includes a standard coupler. Overall length is 3 1/2".

J 360° Extension Adapter- Swivels 360° . Has a heavy duty coupler and 2" steel extension tube. Overall length is 7 1/8".

Max. psi Each

A 7,000 1090K39 $9.80

B 10,000 1090K22 13.10

C 7,000 1090K47 12.24

D 5,000 1351K11 48.02

Max. psi Each

E 7,000 1090K65 $15.35

F 10,000 1090K54 24.06

G 7,500 1090K52 24.27

H 10,000 1090K53 11.65

J 7,500 1090K44 56.04

Grease Gun Accessory Kit

Keep all your grease gun accessories in one convenient place. Kit contains the following accessories:

(K) 8" Lg. Recessed Fitting Adapter (L) 90° Extension Adapter with Standard Button-Head Coupler

(M) 90° Extension Adapter with Coupler (N) 90° Extension Adapter with Needlepoint Coupler

(P) 3" Lg., 90° Angle Needlepoint Coupler (Q) 3" Lg. Straight Needlepoint Coupler

® 18" Lg. Steel Wire-Braid Reinforced Flexible Extension Hose with Coupler

(S) 14-ga. (0.083" OD) Grease Injector Needle (needle length is 1 1/2"; overall length is 5 1/18")

(T) Easy-Out Grease Fitting Tool (to remove and retap 1/8" NPT grease fittings)

(U) Easy-Out Grease Fitting Tool (to remove and retap 1/4"-28 grease fittings)

Accessories are zinc-plated steel. All have a maximum pressure of 4000 psi, except Style R, which has a maximum pressure of 3000 psi. Furnished in a polyethylene case. 2906K7 Each $109.32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a swivel adapter at Ace Hardware for about $10. It comes with a short length of pipe that screws into the grease gun. The front portion swivels a little more than 90 degrees either side of straight. The front swivel section with collet is about 1 1/2 inches (38mm) long.

With the rear tire removed you can pass this fitting through the driveshaft tunnel above the driveshaft. The swivel should be angled at 45 degrees first. With the zerk at 12:00 it is easy to connect and pump the stuff in.

Wrap some duct tape around the collars that protect the universals leaving most of the tape overhanging. Take the bike for a spirited ride and remove the tape with the collected grease.

Well, I just lubed the front U-joint in about 5 minutes with the bike on the side stand. Following advice on this forum, I bought a 180 swivel attachment for the grease gun and attached it to an 8" section of flexible tubing (using a female-female connector). When the grease fitting is at the top of the shaft you can feel it with your finger by reaching down in front of the footrest plate. Then the grease coupler can be threaded through the swingarm tunnel and guided onto the zerk. :thumbsup:

Thanks to this forum for making a seemingly tough job pretty easy. :D:D

Man, this sounds like a great thing. Can you give me a manufacturers name and part # on this 180 deg swivel adapter attachment? There are no Ace Hardware stores in Canada, so will have to dig for it at another outlet.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest bshpilot
Well, I just lubed the front U-joint in about 5 minutes with the bike on the side stand. Following advice on this forum, I bought a 180 swivel attachment for the grease gun and attached it to an 8" section of flexible tubing (using a female-female connector). When the grease fitting is at the top of the shaft you can feel it with your finger by reaching down in front of the footrest plate. Then the grease coupler can be threaded through the swingarm tunnel and guided onto the zerk. :thumbsup:

Thanks to this forum for making a seemingly tough job pretty easy. :D:D

Ralph any chance you could share a picture of this set up ?

im about to go the needle route and suspect it could be a bit

messy compared to what it sounds like youve (and others) have

done.

thanks,

d-

Guest bshpilot

interesting...and you can get to ALL the fittings (front ujoint too)

w/ that ?

heres what i have (for other stuff) and its too damm big to get

in to the fittings for the front ujoint

The swivel adapter is long enough to reach through the tunnel in the swingarm. I've heard of some folks grinding down the body on the front of the swivel to reach between the u-joint cover and the swingarm. But, yes, this works.

I bought the 3 oz. mini grease gun too. It has its outlet connection perpendicular to the body. I dispensed with the hose and screwed the pipe nipple in its place.