Neutral Light on Strike

Bill Hagan

OK, I've run a search, but either I'm inept (my default position) or there is nothing there (unlikely) about neutral lights deciding to quit.

Mine did this a.m., but, as with things electrical in mtorcycles, it may decide to work this afternoon.

Not sure if bulb has died, or contact lost, or what, but I get no green light in neutral.

Not a big thing, as neutral is quite easy to find by feel, but, if a bear to fix, better ID this while I'm midway thru warranty.

Unrelated item: Pulled up under the mc shelter this a.m. with my odo reading 10018 miles after 12 months and a day or two with the Ballabio. "Another brand" was already parked there. The guy has has had his m/c for 4 years. His odo? 3022 miles. :P

Yeah, don't sweat the Neutral light... they all end up "coming and going" on these bikes at one point or another.

Mine does the same.... works for a while, then goes on vacation for a bit :P

I've heard that leaving the bike in gear when sitting helps, but then again some folks say this is hogwash.

My experience?? .... if I leave the bike parked in gear, as opposed to Neutral, the light "seems" to work more often. As always though, YMMV ^_^

al

Bill- it's an Italian bike.

It's August.

Wait a couple weeks, and it'll come back.

You could also pop off the connector to the sending unit on the transmission and check continuity there. That would confirm or eliminate (prolly eliminate) that switch.

J

You could also pop off the connector to the sending unit on the transmission and check continuity there. That would confirm or eliminate (prolly eliminate) that switch.

That's what I was going to suggest and then you can start to narrow down where the fault is. Also just check that connector anyway in case it as simple as a disconnection or bad connection there.

Here is something I picked up on the Guzzitech site. :luigi:

Neutral Switch Fun

On pre "new gearbox" models, the neutral light being "ON" means:

1. your battery still has enough charge to light the neutral lamp.

2. you might be in neutral

3. you probably still have a transmission

4. not all your fuses have blown, or relays have gone out

5. there is still a ground in your electrical system

The neutral light being "OFF" means:

1. your battery could be really dead

2. you might be in gear

3. something very mysterious may have happened in the electrical system

[and based on the follow-up on the MGCL, if you have to rely on the light to know if your in neutral, trade your EV back in on an automatic scooter. Ed.-T.E.]

Doug VanPelt

Mine does the same, its currently more absent than present.

As the side stand cut out still works, I would think its a problem with the switch/sender thingy. I did read in an old thread as a beside that the poster had removed a washer from behind the switch, Which allowed it to seat deeper and therefore the actuator to be acted on more positively. Seems to make some sort of sense. Now I've not done any of this so it's all hearsay.

removed a washer from behind the switch, Which allowed it to seat deeper and therefore the actuator to be acted on more positively. Seems to make some sort of sense.

Hmmm, maybe not much sense, as the switch works (if my bad memory serves me) when the 'actuator' drops into a depression and pressure is taken off it, for neutral (like a courtesy light car door switch). Therefore removing a washer to push the switch further in would make it more likely for the light to stay off. If a washer was inserted to move the switch out, then it might be more effective – or the light might stay on permanently.

Amazing. My neutral light just went out a few days ago. Never a problem before. So I did the checks:

-Yeah, transmision still there

-yeah,battery still there.

Changed bulbs over. Still have an indcator but no neutral.

The amazing part is that since the neutral light went "out" the bike(2002/3 LeMans) won't idle on th side stand. Bugger. :bbblll:

So you reckon it'll come back on if I'm patient....hmmmmmm.

BTW whereabouts is the sending unit on the transmission.

Thanks, Allan