cheap mufflers

Guest jimjib

:D This is going to be an endless taste discussion: great!!!

BTW those cones look great on a classic Guzzi, Norton or BSA but not on a "modern" bike like the V11.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while I have no qualms with the looks, I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for. If you go for the cheapest product, something inevitably seems to happen whether it be poor quality, poor workmanship or poor service.

I think this would look very nice...Dunstall reverse cone replicas. Scale and mounting probably off due to lousy photoshop work...

The important thing is that the taper should allow higher cornering clearance than stock, and room for larger (or lower) saddle bags, and also more leg room for passenger.

In case you have not noticed, you are riding a "classic" motorcycle with a few fashionable performance changes like wider tires, mono shock, inverted forks, and fuel injection.

Cans are for beans.

v11contiweb.jpg

IMHO the only thing "classic" about the V11LM is the engine.

wider tires, mono shock, inverted forks, and fuel injection.

are items that make a bike modern ;)

And those Dunstalls mounted that low are definitely going to put a crimp in cornering clearance as well as make the rear axle a pain to remove for tire changes. Still, I like the look of the megaphones better than the cans. Ideally, a nice set of swoopy pipes like those fitted to the Benelli road racers of a couple of decades ago would look magnificent. Evan Wilcox made a one-off set of some like that for a V11 out of aluminum. They went for about $1400. They were curved up a bit too much for my personal esthetics, but they were one gorgeous set of pipes.

I wonder how California pipes would look.

On the image I created the lines of the stock head pipe don't quite match the straight line of the muffler. I was trying to keep the muffler in line with the crossover, but that makes it too low.

Anyway, the image is to assist the imagination and not be absolute.

Perhaps a little upsweep is in order to clear the axle.

However if you go low enough you can get in tighter and not upset cornering clearance....theoretically.

Probably the best example of tucking in pipes on these bikes is on the original LeMans series. Buried in my files somewhere I have a picture of a LeMans in England with low megaphone pipes and BMW bags. Looks pretty good on that bike, might be questionable on the the V11 Sport because of the difference in lines.

Yeah, I know all my sport bike friends think I bought a cutting edge sport bike, LOL. The shit I catch for buying this thing has never ended.

When I got back into bikes after a 20 year absence...I was appalled at

the sight of car mufflers on all the new sport bikes. I have gradually gotten use to them but there is certainly no style there.... Just a big round or oval can....wow!

Guest Squashed Nose

Don't you see the point, that IS the style. Modern bikes have modern cans on them. Like it or lump it.

If you go sticking reverse cone megas on a V11 Le Mans you should expect to be lambasted by all manner of people. Including the style police.

Don't get yourself stuck in the seventies.

Well, I'm an old fart (51) and I LIKED the 70's. No big deal, and yes, current style favors the cans. But... the cans are just an outgrowth of building a bike that evokes the image of the street bike being similar to it's race-bred brethren. When noise laws were applied to race tracks, the racers immediately added cans and there, form followed function, the silencers merely had to perform a mechanical function and no thought was given to giving them street bike esthetics and it would have been inappropriate to do so. Then the bike manufacturers start making street bike exhausts look like the race bikes and what was functional but not esthetic, became the norm. I am under no illusion that my bike is a race bike, therefore, an esthetically pleasing exhaust that performs well, should not be precluded just because current style favors a track bike appearance. I'm not trying to be didactic, I just feel you should have the option of either type of exhaust.

Ah yes. The black Sport 1100i. That one is in New Zealand. The current owner doesn't know where the previous owner got the silencers, but they do look nice. That isn't what is truly unique about this particular vehicle though. This bike has had the oil breather line routed to a canister in the tail piece. And the old vapor recovery area - the spine - has been added to the fuel system as an auxiliary tank. This adds nearly a half-gallon to the total system capacity. Again, the work was done by the previous owner, but it is indicative of the level resourcefulness of Guzzi owners. One of these days, I'm going to do the same thing to mine. This could be done to any of the spine frame Guzzi's and if you're after that extra little bit of fuel capacity, this would be one way.

Hey, now that's a pretty neat idea. Any schematics/photos/etc of how he did this exactly?

Also, I'll have to ping Rich, but I thought he was going to work on a "balance tube" solution this winter for the tank so we could get to that last little half-gallon in the right side of our tanks....

al