Guzzi Rendezvous- past tense in California

tomsp

hmmmm... the idea seemed to spawn in callison's fertile brain.... others caught on to it....

The "maybe last ride in October" bunch got together in central California for a 1 day ride through the mother lode and parts thereabouts. Members in the pick below met at the MANGY MOOSE cafe in Mantecca CA., for breakfast.

Of course me-- figures-- I leave my house at 7:00 a.m. and go to Modesto! and actually look for the Mangy Moose there :huh2: A telephone call later and I'm off again for my morning coffee to join the others already there.

Members included: Frank Word (v11 Ballabio), GuzzTim (v11 Sport), Dave Pott (v11) and his awsome wife Jamallee (Triumph Bonneville) - (of course I can't spell, and for sure, even after checking with callison, mispelled it!), tomsp (lemans), davidb (broken v11 sport riding bmw r1100s), callison (MG something??!!), and MarkinHollester (California Special)

The idea was to let callison lead to the wooden covered bridge in the gold country foothills. davidb will lead after that as he knows those hills like there's no tomorrow.

guzzimoose.jpg

After missing my mark in Modesto and then backtracking to Mantecca I find the Mangy Moose and see a line of gooses plus! What a sight.

Mark in Hollister had to fight pretty good (read- bad) wind coming over hwy 152 to I-5 down to Mantecca. Guzz Tim coming over from Danville had to leave early too to beat the EAST before the sun could blind him. Meantime, davidb and Dave and Jamillee (there's that spelling again!) drifted down from Murphy's in the gold country where they're spending like a 4-day road trip. Callison rode in from -- where else-- Modesto where I WAS, Frank lives in Mantecca!

mooseparking2.jpg

from the bridge we rode up hwy 108/120 and swung north on a little road going by lake tulluch and the prison (no pics), then wound our way to Copperopolis (in 1849-50 was a runner-up to be named the California capitol -- now has maybe 200 people???) then east again to Angels Camp to for a break in San Andreas-- davidb leading here.

davidb leads us through awsome and little used roads to this dam where he works. We take a private road (nice and sweepy) to the dam -- take a break and then cross the dam (no pics). The dam was built in the 1920's and crossing it was different as the road had like 8' walls going across the single lane on the top of the thing.

dam.jpg

davedamm.jpg

we all road by backroads to Jackson for lunch. Terrific roads all the way. At Jackson some of us ate lunch, others waited for some time and then took off (davidb, Dave Pott and wife back up to the other gold country towns, GuzzTim back to Danville). Frank, Mark in Hollister, callison, and I ate! and then headed down hwy 88 to various points home.

Hey, this was a great ride with terrific people. Couldn't ask for a better bunch. and we had zero accidents! and only one (1) bike dropped :D while parked.

Next time-- we need to go on an overnighter someplace. Wait for Spring :bier:

I'm sure the others will add their comments/pics too.

oppositedamm.jpg

Sorry I wasn't able to make the ride today, but it looks like you had a great time :bike:

This time of the year is the best for riding(and Spring) when the temps are very mild, and the roads clearing out. So let's get some more rides in before the temps and rain really start to fall in the next couple months :bier:

al

Hey.. thanks to Tom for the inspiration and Carl and Dave for the tag team pace setting .. excellent day for a ride.

My V11 seems to be smoothing out as it approaches 5000 miles.. Normally my throttle hand would be a club by about 50 miles, but it was great all day..

wonderful roads and excellent company!!

BFP.. Big Frickin Pancakes !!

Carl- :lol: click on the thumb nail and then scroll around a bit for background stuff :P:

Thanks too Carl for organizing everything- don't know how 8 people could coordinate everything at the same time and actually pull off a meet like that! Next time, there's always us going over by the coast, or re-visiting the hills in places we didn't go this time....