Advice on Scura

Guest andy1100xx

Guest andy1100xx

Hi All

New to the site and looking for some advice

I've been offered a prestine 2002 Scura with 4500km on the clocks for around GBP3400/$6,000/EU5,000. I know very little about these particular models and have a few questions that I hope someone can answer....

1. does this sound like a good price? (I usually compare it to UK values)

2. Are there any real maintenance issues with the bike? I've read some posts back in '02 on the clutch going - scary - what was the outcome of this in the end?

3. Is the bike easy enough to work on by a moderately competent amatuer and a workshop manual (including any issues under 2. above)?

The bike is a beaut and I am very keen but I live in Korea where good servicing is a problem so need some comfort on the reliability front.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

AndyD

I've been offered a prestine 2002 Scura with 4500km on the clocks for around GBP3400/$6,000/EU5,000. I know very little about these particular models and have a few questions that I hope someone can answer....

1. does this sound like a good price? (I usually compare it to UK values)

2. Are there any real maintenance issues with the bike? I've read some posts back in '02 on the clutch going -  scary - what was the outcome of this in the end?

3. Is the bike easy enough to work on by a moderately competent amatuer and a workshop manual (including any issues under 2. above)?

35503[/snapback]

1 – It's a great price, so buy it.

2 – Maintenance is easy. It's too soon to know if the clutch is a generic problem. Some have been disasters, most are still running fine. Buy it...and fix if it breaks.

3 – Yes, easy enough. I have no local dealer/servicing/parts stock. Get servicing/repair parts mail order. Buy it and maintain it at home.

Is very cheap.

paint from the engine might buble off, no big deal. You can: strip all paint from the engine easy, of repaint it.

The clutch isssue can be found in this forum, until now 5 off all 600 made scura's have had these problem. That's enough written about in this forum. Keep an eye on it, or get a new 2 plate clutch to make sure you get no problems.

I had a scura, and it was great fun driving it.

get it!

Suspiciously cheap I'd say. :unsure:

Very pleased with mine. A fine motorcycle with top class components (Clutch excepted! <_>

Just got back from the first run with the new alloy Mistrals.

Wonderful. You can play a symphony on it. Wonderfully mellow & not offensively loud IMO. It is a crime to have a Guzzi & NOT have 'silencers' like this on it. :grin:

Nige. :bike::mg:

All previously discussed. Run a search using "scura" where all the previous and current owners (including me) chime in on the pros and cons of this particular model.

Only thing to add is I'm not sure if this price is 'suspiciously cheap'. Many Scuras were sold new as leftovers at many thousands off their retail prices. A resale at about the price you quote then would only represent a 30% drop from what they probably paid. The bike could/should be fine.

Good deal for you, for him, nice bike, buy now........................

Dan

Guest andy1100xx

Thanks guys

I also thought it was a good deal.

Prices of bikes in Korea are very strange and do not seem to follow any trends that you would expect in US/UK/Europe so you cannot really compare, I just wanted to make sure it would still stack up if decide to export it later.

It certainly looks in beautiful condition, guess I'll arrange myself a test ride. :D

AndyD