MPG, Holy CRAP!!!

Guest gooddog

Guest gooddog

Well... I Knew my MPG would drop after adding exhaust and airbox mods but tonight takes the cake. I haven't been on the highway once in about two weeks, so after 75 miles of short trip commuting(5 mile trips) my low fuel light went on. I'm running Mistral Carbons, Stucci crossover, and the FBF airbox kit. My PC3 mapping is a Todd Egan Download tweaked by Micha at Moto I, so it by no means perfect, but the bike is running well with strong power aand no flat spots. I'm not complaining but only wondering if anyone has experienced worse milage than 20 mpg? I have'nt filled up yet but i'm sure that there is only a little over a gallon left to go. i plan on spinning the highways on wednesday for a few hundred, so i'll see if the highway miles stretch the mpg at all. I think with these mods i was getting 35 last time out for a spin. we shall see.

ray

Have you been spending more time warming the bike up before you take off? Bike gets 0 mpg sitting in the driveway.

Might be worthwhile looking at your sensors. A faulty engine temperature sensor will make the bike run extremely rich.

Well...  I Knew my MPG would drop after adding exhaust and airbox mods but tonight takes the cake... I'm not complaining but only wondering if anyone has experienced worse milage than 20 mpg?

Heh, not the first or last time I'll hear this... must be the Power Commander. :blink:

Seriously, the first tankful or so is always a write-off, because 99.9% of the folks who do any mods often spend 99.9% of the time twisting the grip hard(er) because of the new-found power.

Report back at 1000 miles.

Todd@GuzziTech.com

Certified PCIII Tech

I noticed that my riding style has gotten more "aggressive " with all my mods and now i spend more time running full throttle in lower gears. It's no real wonder that i get about 120 miles till the fuel light comes on :)

I noticed that my riding style has gotten more "aggressive " with all my mods and now i spend more time running full throttle in lower gears. It's no real wonder that i get about 120 miles till the fuel light comes on :)

36099[/snapback]

Discounting long "highway drone" miles where average MPG is often approaching 40, my bike has consistently shown 120-130 miles of around town riding, whether "spirited or not", on the trip odometer when the low-fuel light burns full-on :huh2:

al

I have the same mods on my LeMans and I get the usual 120 MPG that others are reporting. I can drop it to 100 or so when I really get on it, but mostly its hanging around 120 before the stupid light comes on.

I've got only about 2200 miles on my bike, and it's really just starting to loosen up.

Andy aka

I can report slightly better mileage by adding a power commander to an otherwise standard (so far) V11 Le Mans. Previously, I had run the tank dry at 313 kMs, last week I made 320 KMs, and still had some sloshing around in the tank. :bike:

Guest Brian Robson

Kiwi Dave, I dare not question your accuracy, but you really should try riding the bike more like a Ducati than a Guzzi cruiser....how the hell do you get 330 Km per tank and still go over 60 mph? :bier:

Kiwi Dave, I dare not question your accuracy, but you really should try riding the bike more like a Ducati than a Guzzi cruiser....how the hell do you get 330 Km per tank and still go over 60 mph? :bier:

36143[/snapback]

Speed cameras and Hawk radar remind me that speeds in excess of 110 kph on major highways (speed limit is 100 kph) can get rather expensive on the pocket.

But this particular tank full did include a back road excursion where speeds much greater than this happened to sneak out. That same run, the Ducati machines were way behind.

I dare question your accuracy Brian, I said 320 Km, not 330 Km. Where did you get the extra 10 Km from?

Might be worth checking the accuracy of your odometer. Mine is an astounding 24% off.

36185[/snapback]

Haven't checked my odometer, my GPS sez that the speedometer is reading about 8% optimistic. Since they're both from the same drive, then perhaps the odometer is similar.

I filled up with 19.1 litres of fuel, which gives an average of 16.75 kM/litre, or 39.4 mpg (US) or 49.3 mpg (Imperial). Which is good, but not excessive especially if you dilute these figures by 8%.

I can confirm with my Garmin that with the Veglias anyways, the speed and odometer reading are both 5-7% optimistic. With that in mind, it would seem Kiwi Dave is getting a very good 55miles to the Imperial gallon. Not unheard of, my Norton get's close to 60, my Laverda about 45, the V11 about 45, and my CBX about 30-35. Remember that the Imperial gallon is about 15% bigger than the US gallon.

Something about fuel injection should be realized, that while very good fuel economy can be had with carefull and conservative throttle, aggressive throttle openings will blow the mileage all to hell, much more than carbureted machines. And injector nossle does not care but to spray the fuel you ask for, where a carburetor offers it with some dependancy on engine vaccum, cam profile, many different variables.

IMHO, expected range with the slightly smaller early tanked V11's [rubber pad on top] at around 220-300 kms [150-188 miles]. Any more or less, and I feel there may be either a fuel cylinder wash happening, or are so lean you may be flirting with piston or exhaust valve over heating.

Ciao, Steve G.