Helmets

Guest philbo

You will have to try some on to see if you have an Arai Quantum head, or a Shoei head which will mean an Arai Signet.

As for the price, yes they are expensive, and yes, you are paying for the name to a degree. But if you really want comfort, these are the ones. Will they protect you any more than a true full face of another make? No!

Ciao, Steve G.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree its fit, fit, and fit. The Quantum fits me best. Also, after 3 years it still looks and fits like new. As far as price I paid $425 from a local shop which I think was list. IMHO the fancy graphics ( I really wanted the one with the fighter planes in a dog fight but figured that would push my wife over the top ) look like a form of urban camouflage so if you're trying to blend into the background this seems to work.

I do have a question for the brilliant minds on this forum about the safety standards. My understanding is the DOT is a 'self certification' meaning no one other than the manufacturer actually performs the tests. SAE does their own testing and the tests are some what different but I don't think there is any third party audits. Lastly performance standards are essentially minimal requirements meaning that although everyone may meet the test some may have alot more head room relative to the requirement.

Part of my responsibilities are Quality Assurance and I am also an advisor to two different 'Safety Lisiting' organizations ( electrical stuff, nothing interesting ). This whole certification process seems pretty marginal to me and heavily up to the integrity of the manufacturer. For what its worth I do see alot of racers wearing Arai, not sure if its fit, fashion or they know something. Lastly, in electrical devices we've seen alot of counterfiting going on. Both the product and the cert labels ( a word to the wise you might want to avoid buying really cheap lamps from those el cheapo stores, if your Christmas tree lights are over 5 years old and really cheap, replace them today ). So I'd take a close look, most knock-offs are pretty obvious on closer inspection.

Interesting points made here. I'll have to try a different Arai next time I look at helmets- I thought they were ALL the same shape.

I doubt that there are many counterfeit helmets (though it is, of course, possible). It seems like the profit margin is too small to bother. Counterfeit cheap, easy to produce stuff if you want the most bang for the risk.

As far as certification goes- I'm a conspiracy theorist type, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few corners are cut. Probably not with the really expensive helmets, but my HJC was pretty cheap.

Jason

Maybe 15 years ago I needed a new helmet, looking to spend up to £100 max. Tried loads on, then an Arai - F*ck me what a difference, - just felt great fit, real high quality & comfortable. Nothing to do with fashion cos it was an old model on sale price with an awful colourscheme. Cost me £200. I'm on my second Arai (Quantum e) - still love it. Til I had Arai, a helmet was unpleasant necessity, Arai feels good every time I put it on. It costs what it costs. Dunno about US but in UK there's always old style/old paintjob models on sale, if your not that fussed about latest replica/model then you'll save 25 - 35% on price. Check manufacture date (stamped on chinstrap cover) - my understanding is that if it's been in a box then a few years doesn't matter but I wouldn't go for something off display.

Haven't tried Shoei etc. other than in shop, can't compare. Never regretted spending that sort of money on an Arai. Only wish it had a washable lining.

Like everyone else says - get something that fits you.

KB :sun:

I use an Arai Signet GT in the summer, as its incredibly well ventilated, and fits perfectly, but a Schuberth S1 for winter riding.

The Schuberth is stunningly well made, with an anti fog set up that actually works, and an inner tinted "top gun" sun shield for days when the sun is low in the sky. Unlike the Arai, it is also possible to set the visor part open. The only "problem" with this lid is that its long. Whereas I can kiss the chinbar on the Arai, the Schuberth is a lot deeper fore and aft.

It is very quiet, more so than the Arai, but can feel like it pulls your head to one side if you glance over your shoulder at 80+.

Both very good lids!!

I agree with the fit over fashion statement too!!

Guest dkgross

I spent a good 30 minutes with THE Arai guy at the Seattle show. He went into GREAT depths to measure my head and try on lots of different helments..it's amazing how different they are.

I tend to have a rounder head..the new Quantum II fit quite well, BUT, the NEW RX7 fit MUCH better (and, I went to a slightly smaller sized one!!

Felt a lot better than my Shoei Syncrotech.

The new Aria's have also repositioned the padding so that those of us with glasses can get them off and on easier.

:bier: Merry christmas matey!!! i must admit i have never understood the philosophy in mega expensive helmets ! i use a shark s500 (dont know if you get them stateside) but in old blightey(uk, isle of man ) you cant knock it (beat it ) for good protection,comfort and real good price my second lid is a suomy now they are sh$t hot ,cant really fault them apart from they can be a little noisey but thats what ear plugs are for arent they ?! anyway cheers mate take it easy and get youre missus on the back (of the bike !!) more often p.s. geeze how much bourbon did i have this eve? hmmm! :drink::helmet::homer:

<_< If im not mistaken youre pic of the guy to the left is arthur dent ! .now if you have ever heard of the hitchikers guide to the galaxey you would know what im talking about!? any offers !!!!! :thumbsup:i,m reffering to the post at the top mr philbo !! all joking aside ride safe ride free!!

Arai helmets could be free and I still couldn't wear one.  Why?  They don't fit my melon head.

For me, an HJC flip-front helmet fits great, so that's what I wear. 

I'm part of the chorus that says fit is more important than cost. 

Jason

38535[/snapback]

Jason: I'm a Shoei head, too and would like a flip-front unit for the next one. I've hear that they are WAY noisier than the full face type. How do you find the HJC flip-front for wind noise on the hi-way? :race: