Power Commander III pricing/availability

al_roethlisberger

Well I received my PCIII from Ken at Evoluzione.... thanks again Ken! :)

And I have a couple appropriate maps as developed by Todd of Guzzitech fame that should work fine for my setup... but of course the best fit is to get a custom map done at a PC Tuning Center with a Dyno.

So, I've checked out PC's website for local certified centers, and came up with the following list.

I'd like to see if any of you have had any experience with any of the following shops, and have any recommendations or other thoughts before I pick one.

I am actually in San Jose/Santa Clara, so all things being equal, any shops specifically in my area versus Fremont or Moutain View, are better. But that's a minor point.... mostly of convenience.

al

Chino's

Fremont CA 92553

Services - Sportbike, Cruiser

Cycle Center of Fremont

Mareno Valley CA 94538

Services - Harley, Sportbike, Cruiser

Fastline Cycles

Fremont CA 94538

G Force Performance

Santa Clara CA 95051

Hare Racing

Sunnyvale CA 94087

Spears Enterprises

Campbell CA 95008

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, here's one interesting somewhat dissenting opinion... from Ken at Evoluzione.

I was chatting with him, and related my quandry to him regarding dual-plugging or not, and the percieved benefits.

He said that in his opinion, if there is a measureable difference in performace at WOT with dual-plugging, then even if not discernable, what this tells you is that at lower fuel-air mixture and partial throttle, there is efficiency to be gained. Perhaps it is not measureable on the dyno, but it can translate to "peppier" acceleration by the "butt dyno" and a cleaner burn and quicker smoother throttle transitions.

So in that regard, if your combustion chamber is less than ideal, which the Guzzi chamber is no doubt lacking in utlimate efficiency... then increasing the heat, exposure, and duration of the spark can improve the burn.

But, he also added, you don't necessarily have to go the trouble and expense of dual-plugging the heads to get this result.

Instead, he sells an "ignition amplifier" that allows for a much larger plug gap, which he maintains after years of applying these to racing Ducatis, Sport Boats, etc... and his current 2002 LeMans Tenni... provides similar results and benefits as dual-plugging, but for a lot less of the trouble and expense we've been discussing.

Evoluzione - New Volt Ignition Amplifier

So, I'm thinking about giving this a try as an alternative. He says he's been using this kit for years, and it's Coast Guard certified for all-weather(even immersion) use. It's completely plug-and-play, with OEM harness and plugs already installed, and is completely reversable.

I can't vouch for the product, but I'm certainly thinking about checking it out.

It's just an alternative, and cheaper to boot, especially when one considers all the other time and costs to overcome once dual-plugged.

al

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to "cross pollenate" for those that aren't on some other forums/lists, such as the Wildguzzi Forum...

For those that have bought one of the clearance K&N PCIIIs, you may want to consider checking into updating your firmware(not the map). A couple people on the other list had mentioned some reliability and performance issues with their PCIII, and Dyno said it was due to older firmware on the K&N PCIIIs. The tell-tale is anything from erratic idle, stumbling, to complete temporary failure. If your PCIII doesn't have a serial number, this is also apparently a sign that is of the older firmware revision, although the hardware is the same.

The fix is that Dyno will update your firmware for free, as long as you pay S&H. Just contact them and get an RMA number.

al

Guest scott

Like Al, I thought I would keep this post going a bit longer with an update regarding the recent installation of a PCIII on my '02 LeMans.

Over the past several months I've been riding the fence with respect to the possible pro/cons of the PCIII. I've read all the post, spoke with several riders who installed them on their bikes, and still got mixed results.

My particular bike is stock except for LeoVince exhaust; it's only problem is an occasional miss/surge at low rpms when the engine is at normal operating temperature. My local dealer was able to get rid of most of the miss/surge by making sure the bike was set up correctly, but still it was apparent the engine was running too lean in the 2000-4000 rpm range.

After several e-mails to Todd at guzzitech.com I finally got off the fence and purchased a PCIII. Well, installation took about 15 minutes and after 500 miles I am truly pleased with the drivability and performance. Simply stated, I don't notice any major difference in drivability EXCEPT that the low rpm surging/missing is gone!

I'm not saying the PCIII is a cure all, but I'm very impressed with Todd and the quality of the maps he has developed for the V11 Sport/LeMans. This truly was a plug-n-go performance upgrade. :thumbsup: