Emissions for Europe

Guest cfc

Happy '05!

I am planning on doing a euro trip this year. Was wondering if anyone had any info/experience with regard to emissions requirements entering Germany and the EU, if any, on motorcycles, specifically '01 MG V11sp with modifies exhaust. Have visited this site---> http://www.micapeak.com/~marcl/pages/shipbike.html which is a help but am looking for more up to date info. Also going is an '03 Scura stock (though I think will be modified, like the '01, by the time of trip i.e. exhaust/chip/airbox).

Cheers

CFC

You should be fine- many European riders of V11s ride around the continent with technically illegal pipes.

I have had no problems in any country so far. In the UK, if you get stopped by the police they normally take into account your riding style and other factors. If you were riding like a complete twat through town and had no insurance then they may throw the book at you and prosecute you for illegal pipes as well. I was stopped a while back on my old 1100 Sport Corsa for speeding and they did not even bat an eyelid at my full Termignoni race system.

UK police in general can't be arsed to ticket foreign riders anyway cos it is too much paperwork so they tend to let everyone off with a warning unless you were being really bad!

Occasionally the police target biker meets where there has been plenty of complaints from locals about wheelies and speeding and in these situations apply zero tolerance and ticket everyone for noisy pipes / small number plates etc.

I have heard that German motorway police can be strict and issue on the spot fines but on the whole I think you will be fine and will be able to enjoy the lovely echo of your motor bouncing off the mountains!!

Regards

Guy :race:

.... and ticket everyone for noisy pipes.

Regards

Guy  :race:

40285[/snapback]

Guy - is this just a fine or if you have a UK licence do you risk getting points as well ?

Rgds,

Ken

I believe they can either issue a rectification notice making you replace the pipe with a legal one and get it inspected at an MOT garage within so many (seven?) days, or they can fine you and you can get points- I believe it is discretionary.

I tend to stay away from where all the idots congregate like Devils Bridge (and when I lived in Hampshire the Lord Derby).

Away from these environments, most traffic coppers seem to be ok about Italian twins making fruity noises as long as you don't get pulled for someting silly.

The biggest problem for loud pipes is that some race tracks are now getting fussy- you can't do a track day at Donnington Park without putting your road legal pipes back on- and my V11 needs every BHP it can get!!!

:helmet: