Paint Bubbles on an '02 LeMans

Desdinova

Hi, i had the engine repainted in the same paint...also had the rear transmission done at the same time as it is the same paint, and was flaking off. Am very happy with the work that was carried out...but if they are offering new cases...well, why not...and it means that hopefully someone with half a clue will rebuild it, and will hopefully give the engine a good eyeballing for any signs of wear and tear etc etc

It is really a hard choice, you have to consider yourself very lucky that the dealer offred you to change the engin case or to give you accessories, cause Moto GUzzi in Italy already since a long time denies to change the case under warranty, it just gives you some paint to fill the bubbles holes. One thing I would consider is that the less you have to unbuild the engine, the better the motorbike will keep on going, cause it is very hard, according to me, to find someone that is able to build all the engine parts inside the engine as they do in the main factory, in Mandello. If they were giving you a complete engine, I would have done it, in this case I would just take the accessories. If you are doing a lot of miles every year, it might be that in 5 or 6 years you will have to open the engine anyway to do a revision of the engine itself, so you could then take that chance to paint hte engine.

Sergio.

I was under the impression that the engine case replacement offer was over.

Is this just a policy of MG - USA, or have the new owners made this offer available again?

TNX

Phil

'02 Le Mans

Well here is some pics so that those of you with out this blessed event can envy us mutated boil covered lumps of italian crap paint.

Just as a side note, I opted for the Grenade jackets and pants and am very pleased. I have since decided to paint my cases myself. Hell why not, couldn't look any worse. I also am taking this opporunty to check and grease everything that should of been. The factory was out of grease on my bikes B-day, because I haven't found any yet!!!!!

As I try different paints I will try to keep all of you updated. But so far the Harley Wrinkle Heat Resistant is out. The wrinkle is to wrinkly and it is not flat, but gloss, badd match.

100_0472.JPG

100_0473.JPG

100_0474.JPG

:rasta: Unless someone wants to do internal engine work, I wouldnt tear the motor down to replace the cases. Sheeze. Im removing the old paint with solvent and possibly a small sand blaster. Wrinkle paints are readily available. I AM using the Harley paint. Ive used it for years as touch-up on my Harley motors. You can vary the wrinkle texture based on heaviness of paint coat and temperature. Thinner coats and warmer temps produce a finer wrinkle. Experiment with it first. Also, the glossiness usually disappears after the paint has been cured and the engine goes through a warm-up cycle a few times. In fact, the loss of gloss is why many HD owners use some type of Armor-all etc to restore the shine. VHT also offers a wrinkle but it looks the same and may be the producer of paint for HD.

sorry, why don't you just remove the black paint doing the bubbles and leave the semigloss pain that lays under it? I think that on the 2003 model they just sprayed the semi gloss paint and leave it like this, and it is not bad at all.

Guest Jeff in Ohio
Well here is some pics so that those of you with out this blessed event can envy us mutated boil covered lumps of italian crap paint.

Just as a side note, I opted for the Grenade jackets and pants and am very pleased. I have since decided to paint my cases myself. Hell why not, couldn't look any worse. I also am taking this opporunty to check and grease everything that should of been. The factory was out of grease on my bikes B-day, because I haven't found any yet!!!!!

As I try different paints I will try to keep all of you updated. But so far the Harley Wrinkle Heat Resistant is out. The wrinkle is to wrinkly and it is not flat, but gloss, badd match.

41256[/snapback]

Instead of the Harley Wrinkle Heat Resistant, try the Harley Texture Black. It gives a finish identical to the black on the current harley's and is a decent match for the Guzzi stuff (much better than that shiny wrinkle black). The wrinkle was used on 70's era Harley's. Your local HD shop should have the texturwe black. I used to have a can here at work with the part number on it, but can't find it now. I also used to have a post on here with the part number and a pic of a test sample I painted also, but I think it is long gone.... ask for the 'texture black' not the wrinkle....

Guest Jeff in Ohio
Instead of the Harley Wrinkle Heat Resistant, try the Harley Texture Black.  It gives a finish identical to the black on the current harley's and is a decent match for the Guzzi stuff (much better than that shiny wrinkle black).  The wrinkle was used on 70's era Harley's.  Your local HD shop should have the texturwe black.  I used to have a can here at work with the part number on it, but can't find it now.  I also used to have a post on here with the part number and a pic of a test sample I painted also, but I think it is long gone.... ask for the 'texture black' not the wrinkle....

41315[/snapback]

here is my original from way back...

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1204&hl=

:rasta:  Unless someone wants to do internal engine work,  I wouldnt tear the motor down to replace the cases. Sheeze.  Im removing the old paint with solvent and possibly a small sand blaster. 

41311[/snapback]

I encourage you to be extremely careful if you use a sandblaster. Just a little bit of sand up in the galley's will do you a world of hurt. I know- you say you won't open the case, but if anyone does- be careful with it. I've never heard good things coming out of sandblasting.

Jason

I promise, no sandblasting. A tooth brush is more than enough.

As for the HD paint it would appear to be my fault. I grab the High temp wrinkle instead of the flat wrinkle. If I get a chance to go to the local dealer, 60 miles away I might pick up a can, $14.99 a can though. :angry: I think I am going to try some Rust-oleum "textured" finish. I sprayed it on some area to test for color and wrinkle. It was just about dead on. I don't know about its temp resistance though. I figure at $3.00 a can I experiement for the greater good. I also look at the afore mentioned BBQ grill paint, but it seemed to be just flat and not textured, although I have not bought a can. Any more suggestions.