Dog Love

Guest dkgross

Dave,

I don't know what else to add, but I feel for you and your wife.

We lost one of our cats of 8 years just a few months ago, suddenly, in one day... and it was very traumatic for everyone. They are members of the family.

Best wishes to all, and I'm sure she was the happiest in her life... the time she spent with her family.

al

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dkgross

Thanks, again all.

Supertwin...we had two Staffies (brothers) that dies of cancer within about a year of each other. They lived to be 14. I love them little blockhead doggies :)

We lost our German Shorthaired Pointer 3 years ago. He was 12.

And ,now we have one Greyhounds left. He's 10. He misses his girlfriend Duchess as much as we all do.

True...it's never easy..but, in retrospect...after each one of our furkids left, the next one we needed to care for got the full attention it needed, because the one that left opened our hearts even more to let the next one in.

It's always hard to keep it in perspective, but, I woke up this morning to my other greyhound laying next to me. He NEVER does that. Maybe three times in thd 6 years we've had him.

again..thanks all.

Guest rrbasso

You have my deepest condolances, I feel for you, losing our Dog four years ago was one of the hardest things for me and my wife, our thoughts are with you...

Dave,

The thing that I hated most during my 30 years of private veterinary practice was euthanizing pets (including four of my own). I've seen grown men (including myself) break down and cry like a baby at the loss of a fine companion.

Savor the great memories of Duchess and enjoy your current crop of critters to the fullest.

Ralph

Guest dkgross

thanks, ralph..wow..30 years??? You are a good man, indeed. You get an extra special place in line.

We are very forutnate that two of our best friends were Duchie's vets. The care and love she recieved was astounding...When she went, she was at the vets' home..comfy and relaxed, and very surrounded by love.

thanks again, all.

Yeah those squarehead Staffs can really get into 'yer heart-I always say "so long" as opposed to goodbye for the reason you cite here...one day we'll all sit around the same campfire! You should make a montage and display it proudly on your wall.

Love your pets-you owe it to 'em.

Man's Best Friend.... I'm really saddened by this event. I've had dogs all my life. Had too many die in my arms too and then be overwhelmed with tears afterwards! Only dog (and ok, cat :blush: ) people comprehend that I think.

Love your pets-you owe it to 'em.

40938[/snapback]

Dog People--

Think back about a dog you had in the past. If you don't smile, and get choked up-- you're not dog people--

Now wipe the tear from the corner of your eye, and go pet, scratch, whatever that spot that makes the leg twitch for the current animal(s).

And think about that one not being around.

Repeat as needed.

"The world was conquered through the understanding of dogs; the world exists through the understanding of dogs."

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Man's Best Friend, indeed.

My condolences.

Guest dkgross

80% of the artwork we have in our house are walls full of doggie photos :)

we have a 40 acre off leash park in Seattle (one of many)...We've made a habit of going there after one of dogs passes away...We just sit in the grass, and let whoever wants to run up to us and give us kisses and tail wags to come on up.

it's amazing how they just KNOW. They come from all sides of the park. And it brings us much joy :)

I just recieved an email that was meant for this thread! I want to share it with you all.

If A Dog Was the Teacher

If a dog was the teacher you would learn stuff like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Let others know when they've invaded your territory.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout...run right back and make friends.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.

Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

Guest dkgross

perfect :D

...and, funny..whilst reading it...certain phrases reminded me of different dogs in my life that have come and gone.

and now, I just smile. :drink:

Dave,

I lost my Golden Retriever of 14 years a while back. The best thing somebody told me back then was that,"at least he lived his life being loved and taken care of. That's a whole lot more than most dogs get in this world".

Guest dkgross

ain't that the truth, Orson.

My wife and I do a LOT of dog rescue work. She's on the Board of a local organization, and we also did a lot of work with the Greyhound rescue people.

I've had many friends say that there is a HUGE waiting list of spirits who've passed just waiting in line to come back as one of OUR dogs :)

Guest Dave Pott

I sure know how your feeling, I've had dogs in my life all 47 of my years on this earth and it always hurts like hell when they die. I currently have 14 yr old Yellow Lab who is starting to really slip physically now and it will be a rough one.

I feel for you.

By the way, have you got this sitting on the coffee table next to the moto mags?:

http://www.thebark.com/