ballabio

Guest dolph

I currently own a newer triumph bonniville. I love it but want a little more kick. I really like the look of the v11 bikes and I'm not looking for a super fast bike but something that has more power and kick when out on the open and twisty roads. I also like the raise handlebars to give a little bit more relaxed sitting postion.

My dilemma is 2 fold:

1. I hear that the that there is alot of adjusting to get the bike running well and stable. Am I going to be at the shop many times for the first year?

2. I don't hear to many positive things about the MG Californias. This is another option I considered but I think it might be underpowered and just not as fun. Any input on this point?

Hi,

It seems that MG owners voice their problems and love for their bikes in a way that place the new MG addicted :food: in a deeper void: :huh2: while tempted to buy MG his concern grows about reliavility, even do you often read about MG with over 200k milles and still strong. :notworthy:

MG Owners seem to me more than fine group of people they are not afraid of forming a sort of community and share good and bad issues :bier: .

My experience: I purchased a new 2003 California Aluminum. The single plate clutch and the PI (hydrolic valve llifters) engine are considered flawed not only at this website but many others.

The fact is my particular bike now with 2500 miles it still flaw-less :bike: .

The engine felt crappy until reaching 500 miles, since then is a pleasure and I like more every day. :wub:

The peack power may not be real high but the engine will chug along the 560 pounds bike in 5th gear from about 1500 rpm with a real pleasent low frequency vibration. The engine seems real happy at about 5k rpm. but the speed limit in Texas will only let me dive it at around 3200 rpm -just about 65-70 mph. There is no need to drop to 4th to quickly speed up and pass, and you will find your self over 85 mph with no struggle.

The frame is extremely easy to maneuver, and it will accept about any input and trajectory/speed correction even in bad curves. :race:

I notice that MG is very stable and will stand corss winds at Hiway speeds with no effort. :thumbsup:

The linked braking system: I was ready to ask the dealer to eliminate, but I learn to use it and since is quite well balanced I am keeping it as is .

It is a great bike, I just hope to add a V11 or leMans to my garage soon :mg: .

I hope you decide to enjoy MG.

Anthro

Guest Dave Pott

Dolph,

I've had my Ballabio for about 13 mo. now and ridden more than 13,000 hard mountain miles on it and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I've done a few mods to it but did not necessarily need to 'cause it ran pretty darned good on the stock set-up :thumbsup:

A dude on the Wild Guzzi forum had a good quote- "These aren't fast bikes, but they are bikes meant to ride fast!"

The riding position is forgiving. I've got a bit of bursitis in one shoulder and an aggresive riding posture ain't comfortable...these handlebar set up is.

By the way, my wifes Bonneville is very cool to ride but in the twisties it can't even, kind of, or sort of compare to handling or torquey power of the Ballabio :mg:

1.  I hear that the that there is alot of adjusting to get the bike running well and stable.  Am I going to be at the shop many times for the first year?

2.  I don't hear to many positive things about the MG Californias.  This is another option I considered but I think it might be underpowered and just not as fun.  Any input on this point?

40896[/snapback]

Hi Dolph,

1) No. Guzzi's are very well built, and the basic bike uses (almost always) high quality components. Anthro is right- Guzzi owners just know how to bitch. There are some known issues, but I think- all in all- they are pretty minor and easily avoided. Now, there's a correllary to this- Guzzi's are bikes which require the owner to acknowledge and embrace ownership. If you want an appliance, then a Guzzi is not for you. If you're the type of person that accepts responsibility for the bike- does maintanence checks, preventative work, etc., if you don't mind talking to people every time you fill it up with gas and explain what kind it is, where it came from, etc. then you'll never buy another bike after you ride a Guzzi.

2. Underpowered? I would disagree. The horsepower figures are lower than some other brands, but the important point is that they have gobs and bogs of torque. A California will go -fully loaded- a lot faster than you think it will and it'll pull like a train from 3K rpm on up. Even better is that it will handle well under almost any conditions.

Now, I have to admit, I'm biased. I've been riding these bikes for over 20 years, and now I have 3 Guzzi's and my wife has one too. All told, probably 400,000 miles on them. One of them, a G5 (similar, but uglier than a Cali) has about 300-350,000 on it. I'm rebuilding the motor because the upper wrist pins are worn and the frame bearings need replacing, but the bottom end is like new, the transmission like new, and the rear drive has mild wear. In all those miles, that bike made me walk one time, and that was my own fault.

I've got a '01 sport with 17K+ miles on it. There were some minor issues with it that any bike might have had (broken high-beam thingy, leaky seal), but the big problem is it keeps giving me tickets.

Reliable enough?

The important thing is to get out and ride a Guzzi. If it 'speaks' to you, then your hooked. If it doesn't, then find one that does.

And hey, welcome to the forum!

Jason

Guest jerroldt

The Triumph is lighter and easier to handle (as I remember from riding my brother's 78' Bonneville). My 2003 Le Mans is heads-up a winner as far as acceleration and torque are concerned. The Guzzi will outrun my new Dyna Superglide in almost any gear and on top end. It doesn't make as much noise but since I drilled the cans it does sound like a motorcycle instead of a steam turbine. I have had zero problems with the Le Mans. It is a well constructed machine.

post-1082-1105674073_thumb.jpg

I am selling my Ballabio, but not for any reason other than I found a LeMans with all the goodies already on it..... the most important of which were aftermarket handlebars that allowed me to setup the Lemans, just like the Ballabio!!! The Ballabio was my first forey into the Eurosport styule bike and I just loved it. I have a bad back, and I found it very comfortable.

By the way, if you are interested in a good deal on one, I have it listed in the classifieds section, or just email me. I only put 1800 miles on it before I stumbled across my dream bike at an even more dreamy price. I was ready to keep the Ballabio forever.

Dolph,

I've had my Ballabio for about 13 mo. now and ridden more than 13,000 hard mountain miles on it and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.  I've done a few mods to it but did not necessarily need to 'cause it ran pretty darned good on the stock set-up  :thumbsup:

A dude on the Wild Guzzi forum had a good quote-  "These aren't fast bikes, but they are bikes meant to ride fast!"

The riding position is forgiving.  I've got a bit of bursitis in one shoulder and an aggresive riding posture ain't comfortable...these handlebar set up is.

By the way, my wifes Bonneville is very cool to ride but in the twisties it can't even, kind of, or sort of  compare to handling or torquey power of the Ballabio :mg:

40910[/snapback]

I have 14+K on mine, and most are, as Dave's, in "serious" riding in the hills. I have had two problems. One was the speedo cable. Snapped at

Second was more serious, tho that was more a function of being 500 miles from home (or a dealer!) than anything else. See the various threads on the several "pawl spring" threads. Again, dealer was quick and good. But, darn that $600 U-Haul bill. :blink:

Now, that said, I grin everytime I ride it and I ride it lots. Joy. Just plain joy. If your heart takes you there, buy it. Ride it. Love it. I do. If something happened to it, I'd find another. :bike:

Bill

I bought the Ballabio and LOVE IT! Thanks for all the feed back and I look forward to putting many miles on this bike.

dolph

Question about the Ballabio's seat: What's your impression of its comfort, especially on longish rides? I've ridden a Ballabio for about 60 miles, but I couldn't really tell whether it'd be fatiguing over a long haul.

Guest Dave Pott
Question about the Ballabio's seat: What's your impression of its comfort, especially on longish rides? I've ridden a Ballabio for about 60 miles, but I couldn't really tell whether it'd be fatiguing over a long haul

I've done a couple 300+ /- mile days and my butt was hollering at me alittle bit at the end of the day. I'll tell you though, it 's sure better than the Corbin seat on the Jackal!! I get a serious ass-ache on that sucker :moon:

I keep thinking I'll get a Rich Maund seat for the Ballabio soon but since the stock seat ain't too bad I'll just let it ammortize out a little longer ;)

I'll tell you though, it 's sure better than the Corbin seat on the Jackal!!  I get a serious ass-ache on that sucker

Funny, but I've done 400-mile days on my Jackal's Corbin and felt fine...then again, it came with the Corbin, so that's all I know.

Guest Dave Pott

Actually, the Corbin is now a bit better since I swapped out the old Eldo handlebars to a Pro-Taper bar with a small rise. In that position I can also use the rear pegs when cruising and that helps too.

Still, though, the Ballabio stock seat is easier on my bum.