Chain Drive ?

TX REDNECK (R.I.P.)

yes if you look on my homepage, you can see one.( swallower) There is a dutch guy Eric Willemse, that made one for his guzzi racer years ago. He quit racing and there are now 2 replica's from his raceframe, with license! The first is build by someone else, in cooperation with Eric. The second will be Eric's that he is working on now.

The other chainconversion was made by guzzi, when long ago bimota wanted to do something with a guzzi engine, the only wanted to do it with a chain, so the factory made one proto, that ended in a paris dakar enduro.

And I got a spare 6 speed gearbox, that is now at Eric Willemse workshop, I hope in the ensd I have a chaindrive too, integrated in the 6 speed gearbox.

Has anybody seen or heard about a chain drive conversion ?  Any hi-tek or hillbilly setups ?  Maybe some kind of jackshaft  setup  :huh2:

42378[/snapback]

Not for Guzzi, no, but IIRC, Dale Walker [of Holeshot Tech. fame] did one for the V-max or XS-XJ1100s back in the day. If not Dale, *somebody* did at least one one-off for the XS back then, since they were drag-racing them and wanted variable final ratios to control hook-up.

But that's a much different scene, since the Yellowhammers were still regular gearboxes , wet multiplate clutches, etc. with two 90deg twists to the driveline for the shaft drive [which is why they lose so much more power from crank to ground vs. the Geese, which only have one 90deg turn instead of two...] Dunno where you'd find a regular gearbox to fasten to the back of the Guzzi engine...

Heck, why waste your time changing to chain drive? Find some way to hook up the CVT off a Suzi Burgman or something, and always have the perfect ratio to hand!

:P

DO I tell a secret that guzzi made a motorcycle with automatic gearbox?

The v1000 convert.

42444[/snapback]

No secret, but a slushbox like the Convert loses more power between the crank & rear wheel than a CVT or regular tranny thru a shaft. Hyrdrodynamic drives are generally considered to lose about 15% of your power right there, leaving out any other drivetrain losses. There's a reason that the first 1000cc engine Guzzi made showed up on the Convert...

Seriously, a CVT would have some real advantages for a racing Guzzi, since it would allow maximum use of the broad torque curve, but without as much power loss as a slushbox automatic.

What's the "FX" league that Tex thinks the Buell's can outdo the Guzzi in? [/curious]

I guess it depends on one's goals.... and with that in mind, I don't think the Convert was meant to be a "performance" bike :P

Many people really love the Convert, and say it's a great ride and quite reliable :bike:

But yeah, it isn't going to win too many races with similarly sized bikes.

al

Thanks Paul  :thumbsup:  http://guzzi.daytona-it.com/ 

Do you have any pictures of the Paris/ Dakar bike or know what happened to it ?

Chain drive is the only way that I see Guzzi being competitve with the Buell in the FX class.

42419[/snapback]

As long as Buell has the HD motor a few percent of power lost and a slight increase in un-sprung weight from the shaft are minor drawbacks. The first time someone tried to explain a Harley bottom end to me I thought he was kidding. If the Buells beat the Guzzis it will have much more to do with big bucks than design.

Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Yamahas and even Triumphs, on the other hand, will be kicking Goose and Buell ass for the foreseeable future.

FX is Formula Extreme. Formerly a class that had very few rules (hence the name) but now weird mix of 600 Japanese fours, 750 Ducati superbikes and big (up to 1350 cc) pushrod, air cooled twins. Last year Honda won every race, the best dinosaur finish was fourth by a Buell.

Lex

Formula Xtreme: 450cc-600cc four-stroke, multi-cylinder; 595cc-750cc four-stroke, liquid-cooled, twin-cylinder; 850cc-1350cc four-stroke, air-cooled, twin-cylinder

42521[/snapback]

Hey, I like that! Altho' it seems like it would just be easier to say "Ya can't make more than 100hp at the wheel on our dyno," but the FX races would appear to be a real crowd pleaser, wi/ something for everyone. Cool! :race:

If the Buells beat the Guzzis it will have much more to do with big bucks than design.

42520[/snapback]

Don't sell the HD lump short! One thing it has going for it is volume [of production], which leads to lots of people hot-rodding it & tweaking & squeezing every last ounce of juice from it. How many go-fast companies make a living off of Guzzi? 2? 3? Let's see: FBF repackages other people's product, Stucchi, Raceco, G&B sorta, and Mike Rich. Call it 3.5 companies. Why do you think the Guzzi land speed record folks were so eagerly followed by Guzziphiles? In the Harley realm, there's enough people doing that sort of thing that nobody pays attention to it... ;)

Also, Erik Buell's influence shouldn't be underestimated: he did start off building racers, so his design work has some chops.

Still either of'em probably have difficulty keeping up with the race-rep J-brand 600s; there's just been too much money thrown at those designs for the past 15 years for anything else to compete...