128.6 mph race with Ducati

Enzo

Another page and still no talk of Horse Hockey.... dammit! Inquiring minds need to know!

Nice one Martin. About time someone noted that 130mph is awful poor for 1100cc sport!! How many have spent more than $5k trying to eek out something resembling performance from their slug. They are fun slugs tho' :bike:

Enzo - you ain't gettin out of this the American way! (that is, shake a big stick at it and hope everybody runs away) This is not a bet, no wager, simply $150US to your favorite charity if you can back up your claim. If you do not have a charity, or know what that word means, then I'm sure we can find something suitable.

You got called, now either pony up or scamper off with your tail between your legs. Either way we'll be eatin ribs. Hurry up tho' that US dollar is sinkin like a stone!

Rj

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody buys a V11 just for top speed thrills!

I think the top speed at max revs should be about 136mph- like Martin says piss poor for a big sportsbike. I took my V11 to Croft racetrack in September and the GSRX1000s and R1s were overtaking me at a very rapid rate of knots on the long straight- probably about 30 to 40 mph faster than my speed. I can just about stay even with most of the 600s on the straights, which is down to the torque of the Guzzi pushing me harder onto the straight.

For me, the real satisfaction in owning a V11 is from cornering, picking a good smooth line and firing hard out of tight corners, enjoying the vibrations and noise. It is the sensations rather than the actual outright speed that does it for me.

Whenever I ride my girlfriend's R6 I am reminded of how good Japanese bikes are at going fast but there is simply no soul compared to a big, slow throbby Guzzi.

:helmet: :

......Nobody buys a V11 just for top speed thrills!.......

:homer: got that one wrong then.....

KB :sun:

PS: Guzzirider - big speed differences on the straight frighten the cr*p out of me -short straights, it's the only way! Preferably with something really tricky to get thru just before. Ty Croes is perfect.

:homer: got that one wrong then.....

PS: Guzzirider - short straights, it's the only way! Preferably with something really tricky to get thru just before. I loved Ty Croes.

44454[/snapback]

Hi KB

What a fantastic circuit! Did you do the Guzzi club track day there in 2001? What a great day that was!

I am up for doing another on 15th May at Ty Croes if you are interested.

Guy

To summarise...

Captain Enzo was abroad one day when a Ducati had the nerve to pass him. Harnessing the untold power of his mighty V11 Cobra, Nemo summoned a speed of 128.6mph, with utmost & total stability, to chastise the hapless Ducati, who left at the next exit.

Having disposed of his challenger thus, Enzo turned his ire on the forces of the law, some of whom inhabit this site. He regaled us with tales of wanton lawlesness going unpunished, & how the corrupt officers of the state would never take him down. Some disbelieved his stories & questioned his integrity. Mistaken for a policeman, one Canadian, losing site for a moment of his inner equilibrium, pledged $50 to see proof of Enzo's achievements. Enzo poured scorn on the Canadian & his country, & threatened never to visit. This was too much for other Canadians, who joined in the clamour, with their own promises of dollars.

Undeterred, & righteous in his indignation, the bold & fearless Enzo offered $1,000 to every Canadian who could prove he lied. At this, the Canadians paled a little & retired to party in a local eatery.

That's about it so far. Personally, I doubt the claims of "total stability".

44431[/snapback]

Thank you Baldini for your synopsis. :mg:

Surpising Ducatis is not new. However, you have to be very carefull on what model and maybe more importantly, which Ducati and Rider you try to surprise. It can backfire........the plan I mean, not the Ducati, it will just end up weeping oil :P And the owner will never talk to you again :P

Can we now get back to the RIBS!!!!!!?

... Did you do the Guzzi club track day there in 2001....I am up for doing another on 15th May at Ty Croes if you are interested....

No, I was planning to do it on my Tonti but it broke & I only finished fixing it that lunchtime. I went along for a looksee anyhow - pissed me off so much I wasn't out there I booked an open trackday there couple of weeks later. Had a ball.

I may be interested in 15th May - who's organising it? It is a fantastic track.

KB

I may be interested in 15th May - who's organising it? It is a fantastic track.

KB

44461[/snapback]

Track Time Promotions- price is £99. I have used them before and they are a professional outfit with high safety standards.

The 15th is a Sunday. I tend to track the availibilty of places and make a decision nearer the time, based on weather forecast.

Hopefully it will be warm and sunny!

:race:

So sorry to keep you waiting Mr. badmotogoozer. They have gotten a little humorless about computer usage at work. Anyways, out in western Nebraska (where I don't live), the winters are long and cold and the summers are blazing hot and short. In other words, a perfect environment for growing dental floss. Them pygmy ponies are plenty busy with their pygmy floss ropers all summer long. You know how it is. Rounding up dental floss strays, keeping the cavity wolves at bay. The usual ranch stuff. But come winter time, it is time to bust loose. The pygmy ponies put on their pygmy pony skates and the pygmy floss ropers don their pygmy hockey helmets and paint their front teeth black. And Let The Games Begin!!! The action can get fast and furious. What with the pygmy ponies cursing and the pygmy floss ropers biting each other, their horses, and the real wacko ones have been known to bite themselves. Well sir, by the end of the game, the ice is red with pygmy blood, all of the pygmy ambulances have been used and the spectators that are still standing are fighting amongst themselves, breaking beer bottles over each other's heads, you know, hockey fans. On a sad note, no games were held this winter due to a court injunction brought by the People for the Ethnic Treatment of Animals. Where is the Fist Of Death when you really need it? And now sir, you know the truth about Horse Hockey. Honest!! Would I lie? You can't make this stuff up. Oh, Yeah. Afterwards, everyone gets together for a kickass Rib Dinner. Later, Dan

In other words, a perfect environment for growing dental floss. Them pygmy ponies are plenty busy with their pygmy floss ropers all summer long.

44502[/snapback]

Dan, not sure the non-Frank Zappa types or those not familiar with Montana would understand the the pygmy ponies and dental floss bit... :D

I rarely take the guzzi above 80 mph anymore, but I have raced the local Buell's and dusted both at over 120 mph (speedo vibrates). When racing a Buell, you had better be in the right gear because they have a shitload of torque on a roll on. Same goes with the honda st1100. shift at 8000 and lean on the tank. My guzzi feels light in the front at speeds above 90mph. I have changed my riding habits in order to save on tickets and my life. I am going to sell my bmw BCR because it always sneaks up over 80 when I ride it.

Guest dopiata

I have noted that when riding, sometimes I slide back ... and this changes the geometry a bit. And the front end does feel lite. I have hardened the rear shock all the way almost to help out with the speed wobble issue.

I wish I could mount a real steering dampener like a Scotts ... but I would have to re-do the whole center triple tree assemble, and weld on a mount onto the front frame to hold the post ...

I may consider modifying the top triple tree for an Ohlins, but in any regard ... this is alot of work.

I think the bottom location is just poor over-all.

I like to control it from the top.