Rear End Clicking Noise

Guest dogbarczar

Guest dogbarczar

I have a 2003 V11 Sport with 3600 miles. On a ride yesterday, I notice a intermittent clicking sound coming from the rear when going slow in first gear. I did not hear anything when cruising past first gear. It also made the sound while coasting down a hill in neutral. It sounds like it might be a bad bearing? I have redline shockproof oil in the rear end. Are these bikes worth keeping, I really like the bike, but this is my second problem. I am worried about the future past the warranty period, as it might get costly. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

:mg:

Funny that you mention this, I just recently began noticing a similar sound. I can only hear it at very low speeds (ie..coasting up to a stop light). I have to assume that road/wind noise keeps me from hearing other times. Seems to do it regardless of clutch position. I can't tell if it is coming from the gearbox, shaft, rear-end, or brake. It and makes low pitch "grunting" sound then a click every revolution of the wheel. I just had my initial service not too long ago...could it be a brake adjustment that the dealer did? I plan to do some experimenting in a big parking lot this week. Anyone heard of this?

Guest Nogbad

There is an issue I have heard of with a change from 14 ball full complement bearings on the output shaft to a 12 ball plastic caged one that is prone to failure, but I don't know whether this applies to 6 speeders or just the 5 speed Guzzis.

I will have a listen to mine.

The bike is worth keeping. I will never get rid of mine except for another one, even if I have to rebuild someting every weekend. These bikes are like a beautiful but flawed woman, but once you are in love that's it.

Guest KingKraz

I've noticed the sound as well. I figured it was the drive shaft, I guess I'm not worried about it.

kraz

Try spinning rear wheel w/ bike on stand - should isolate sound if it's low speed/neutral.

It's easy to check the bearings, just remove wheel, have a look. I broke two rear brakeside bearings in the first few k miles cos bearing spacer in hub was too short. Does wheel spin freely when axle torqued fully?

Many of these bikes seem to throw up niggly problems in the first few k miles. If you can get thru that, then things should be good & get better. Motor doesn't smooth out til 10k miles up. It's a long term thing!

KB

I get a clicking noise under braking from the rear. It made me crazy trying to figure it out. I couldn't reproduce it on the workstand. After checking everything I could think of I've decided it's probably the rear caliper mounting plate 'jiggling' on the tab which bolts to the swingarm. With everything tightened down, there's a little slop between the surfaces which makes the same kind of sound I hear when braking with the rear brake.

Some day I will temporarily put a shim in there to remove the slop. Then I'll know for sure. Mine's been doing this for at least 10k miles and nothing's blown up so I think it's not a big deal.

Again, mine only makes the noise when the rear brake is applied. If yours is doing it all the time I'd first make sure the brake isn't dragging (something known to happen) and go from there.

My :2c:

johnk

Guest dogbarczar

The rear end clicking noise was tracked to the bearing next to the disc brake. Replaced the bearing and no more noise. :luigi: