X-over hybrid

Guest rosso mandello

Guest rosso mandello

Hi there.

I am wondering, how to combine the best of 2 worlds. I ride My ROSSO MANDELLO with Mistral x-over and round carbon exhaust. I am worried about the loss of effect in the high rew band, so my question is:

Has anyone tried to open the standard x-over, and throw away all the interior and then weld it together again. Or is it a bad idea, that I should dump right away.

mogens. :wub:

There is a thread somewhere(search for crossover??) where someone cut one open, and as Jaap point out... there really isn't anything in there to remove.

There is some SS mesh welded to the top and bottom surfaces of the crossover, but nothing impeding the flow of gases directly.

al

There is a thread somewhere(search for crossover??) where someone cut one open, and as Jaap point out... there really isn't anything in there to remove.

There is some SS mesh welded to the top and bottom surfaces of the crossover, but nothing impeding the flow of gases directly.

al

46221[/snapback]

Will the stock crossover be quieter than say, a Stucchi crossover and would that steel mesh be the reason?

Guest ratchethack
Will the stock crossover be quieter than say, a Stucchi crossover and would that steel mesh be the reason?

46228[/snapback]

Tx, I first installed my Stucchi X-over with the stock Lafanc's. It got a little louder than it had been with the stock X-over. I'm guessing the steel mesh combined with the "box" shape of the stock chamber are the reasons.

FWIW, I thought I really liked the sound this way until I tried an extra set of FBF oval carbons that my riding Pal had sitting around. Once I had a few hundred miles on the oval carbons behind the Stucchi, I HAD TO have 'em. :wub: Not TOO loud until you whack the butterflies open, but even then, not too obnoxious. It's nowhere close to open pipes. He made me a deal I couldn't refuse and I never took 'em off. IMHO, there just plain ain't a better sounding twin ANYWHERE! :grin:

NOTE: I tried a lidless airbox with the Stucchi and FBF's, but the horrendous intake honk pushed it over my sound tolerance threshold :wacko: . I'm not riding with earplugs on the street - it's just not gonna happen. I put the stock air snorkels back on almost immediately.

NOTE 2: I'm running the "003" map in my PC III. It works fine with the stock airbox, Stucchi and FBF carbons, but this map's too lean for going lidless.

Rgds.,

Ratchethack

Guest Brian Robson

The stock crossover may indeed fall apart all on its own if left long enough. The material is very thin (unlike a Stucchi) and doesn't make a good base for gross changes :2c:

Tx, I first installed my Stucchi X-over with the stock Lafanc's.  It got a little louder than it had been with the stock X-over.  I'm guessing the steel mesh combined with the "box" shape of the stock chamber are the reasons.

FWIW, I thought I really liked the sound this way until I tried an extra set of FBF oval carbons that my riding Pal had sitting around.  Once I had a few hundred miles on the oval carbons behind the Stucchi, I HAD TO have 'em. :wub:   Not TOO loud until you whack the butterflies open, but even then, not too obnoxious.  It's nowhere close to open pipes.  He made me a deal I couldn't refuse and I never took 'em off.  IMHO, there just plain ain't a better sounding twin ANYWHERE! :grin:

NOTE:  I tried a lidless airbox with the Stucchi and FBF's, but the horrendous intake honk pushed it over my sound tolerance threshold :wacko: .  I'm not riding with earplugs on the street - it's just not gonna happen.  I put the stock air snorkels back on almost immediately.

NOTE 2: I'm running the "003" map in my PC III.  It works fine with the stock airbox, Stucchi and FBF carbons, but this map's too lean for going lidless.

Rgds.,

Ratchethack

46235[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for. As of now I have Staintunes ovals and the stock crossover which explains the less than hoped for exhaust "note".

The mesh top and bottom

and a rod (6-8 mm something) from top to bottom in the middle.

I made a 2-into-1 system of my stock crossover

using a rotary cutter, sledge hammer and a welding station.

Ugly as h*ll but works OK.