Pirelli Diablo versus Avon ST

al_roethlisberger

A little input from my experience of the Diablo.

I put on a set of (standard) Diablo's 6000 miles ago, the rear is now completely shot (with a very flat profile from too many motorway/autobahn miles <_ but the front is still in excellent condition.>

Over that 6000 miles the tyres have travelled around a lot of Europe from very hot (Italy :sun: ) conditions to very wet conditions (most other places last summer :lol: ) and coped admirably with Alpine passes (sigh, this is where I sit back and remember those beautiful Stelvio curves with a big grin on my face) and then the not so memorable wet high speed motorway trips but whatever the conditions the tyres coped brilliantly with all of this.

All in all a very good tyre, that seems to have lasted well, but unfortunately I've no experience of the Avons so can't make any comparisons, sorry.

Mal :helmet:

then the not so memorable wet high speed motorway trips but whatever the conditions the tyres coped brilliantly with all of this.

Mal  :helmet:

46498[/snapback]

Hi Mal

That first day in Belgium was the wettest riding I have ever done.

Both yourself and your tyres coped admirably!!!

I think we broke the world record for number of thunderstorms in a day, my mobile phone gave up the ghost cos it was so wet but our V11s kept plodding on regardless even though they were basically under water all day.

You forgot to mention how well your Diablos coped in the Stelvio snow as well!!

Regards

Guy :helmet:

Just a link about the corsas

Pirellidiablo

And here is a link to the test of the German magazine Motorrad where they put the tyres on a really good compartion test.A very valid opinion magazine

Tyre test results

Well actually is in German and to help a bit here is the most importand criteria

translated,other than that just hve to look at the numbers.

Shimmy=about tankslapping [when acceleration(we Guzzisti don't have such problems :D ) ]

Handlichkeit= Handling (right left easyness in flickability in track or road)

Lenkpräzision=Precision of steering

Haftung Kurven= Grip on the curves

Haftung Beschleunigung=Grip when accelerrating

Kurvenstabilität = Stability inside a curve

Grenzbereich = Grip at the limmits of the tyre (in curves wet or dry)

Aufstellneigung= This has to do when in brakes if there is good responce on the steering grips, or if the bike will hold steady like or have to be corrected.,ect.ect.

Gesamt = Overall (rating)

Rundzeiten= Track times (one round on the track)

The criteria are more analyticaly described here:

Test Criteria Also in German with a good PC translator you can get some meaning.

Same test board for Touring tyres

Touring Tyre Test results

At the second board are the scores in wet test.

Test were not done in a Guzzi but basic criteria as the Grip and the stability on the curves can be taken into concideration.

You forgot to mention how well your Diablos coped in the Stelvio snow as well!!

Regards

Guy 

ah the snow of Stelvio, sigh, what a good day that was, must do it again this year :drink::grin:

Mal :helmet:

Guest goldgooz

Hi all, Met Gary Eagan last fall at the Superbike races at V.I.R. He,s a nice guy(crazy as hell but very nice :) . Our conversation turned to tires and the Avon's AV45/AV46. I have these on my Lemans( 3500 miles--still look great,handle much better than the stock 020's). He runs very hi tire peasures( 40psi. - F, 44psi.-R) to get the high milages out of this tires. Eagan claims these high preasures does'nt hurt grip. I'll take his word for it. I run 36-F,39-R and really like thes tires :thumbsup: John B