Traveling with GPS,PDA assistance.

Alex-Corsa

Well the kit arrived this morning- manged to find a good place to mount the bracket, and have adjusted it to an optimum position, which is easy because there are 2 ball joints giving loads of flexibility. This has enabled me to mount it without obscuring the dials and warning lights.

Initial impressions are good- screen is very visible as you are moving along and it is very user friendly.

It confirmed my suspicions that the speedo is optimistic- overreading by 10% roughly.

The bracket is made by RAM mounts and the whole package cost £350 including bracket and Garmin unit- one hell of a lot cheaper than the Streetpilot.

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good, and is a good deal for these money. I have seeen this Garmin quest before and thought of getting it. I only got scared away by the software compatibility of the Garmins and that I wanted something more than a GPS thing. I hope it all works OK for me with this PDA thing.

I am also a bit curious to see how accurate is my Veglia tachometer.

Garmins though seem to be built like a tank and they're also waterproof,excellent choice.Garmin makes GPS devices for planes to (AFAIK).

Did it finnaly have all the maps of Europe inside or the software is "with Europe's main roads"?

:bier:

• 4 weeks later...

Well the PDA(SIEMENS pocket Loox 410) has arrived a couple of weeks ago.I have fitted to it an extra 1G memmory for having more space for applications and media.THis PDA is a nice looking very light thing.(118-74-18mm about)

The packet was complete with the NAVIGON 4 navigation programm (that I have latter downloaded a free patch from the company and upgraded it top the 4.2 version.)

Inside there are the maps of complete Central and western Europe in amazing detail, including smal vilages and streets big and small , everywhere , as well.

After installing some apps and some games I found out that except a Navigation tool the PDA can be used as a usefull companion.Playing pacman reminded my of the 80's and some pinball too is usefull to practice in hours of dullness or in the hotel during a travel....LOL

Back to the navigation after installing a programm with the maps of my country I did a little navigation , actually the accuracy fo the whole thing depends of the Nav. program I have to say, as there were some minor glitches on some points of where I was 10-20meters wrong point on the indicating programm map.(that was the Destinator) Have not tested the Navigon yet here as it doesn't include my country maps.Reports of friends abroad are though very positive about it.

There is also a small utility in the Destinator that gives you a data engine bout satelites and location point in lat.-log info , as well as altimeter and speed.

I found that sometimes as the satellites that receive the signal were changing

there was also a change in the data of altitude though actually I wasn't moving.

THE REAL THING

AS I was able to have this data of real speed I went out on the peripheral to test some speedo accuracy.The BIG problem is that in a sunny day you see s**t on the PDA display since the light that reflects the PDA screen eliminates every kind of contrast.Though I had the PDA over the tank bag=a bit worse.Things get better with less light at the evening,cloudy weather and even better in the night.

At the so far little testings I have done the accuracy of the Veglia tachometer is very satisfactory, since I have measured a +,- 2% estimated. And I say estimated because one has to keep the throtle steady for at least 5-10secs and look back again on the indications to verify all times.Besides there is no 100% reading accuracy on an analog tacho ,right?.At the other side I am a little dissapointed because I have not seen more than 220kmh at my bike (at 7500rpm) but after that there seem to be no more power(so I don't rev. more).Anyway I'll have to further investigate that and measure high speed with the Nav.System to get the acurate measurements.

Generally I am very satisfied at the moment and though all electronic systems can be instable , this is a usefull companion to me and can-will be able to provide usefull data and infos and entertainment on a travel. I will not part of my "faithfull" maps as they will play a backsider role on the journey adventures.At the other side I could recomend such a system to anyone that has the demand to accuratelly have "data on board" and a touch with the new tecnology.We've paid so many taxes for those damn satelites , why not use them.

I'll just have to find a proper system to adjust the PDA (with some sort of a base)

to my triple clamp, though I have this car holder (came along with the complete package)that attaches to the glass and has a base for the PDA (which I can remove) .But more impotant is to make some sort of accomodation that will brig the thing into shade and have some better view.

Below some pis of the Nav program with a precalculated route to Mandelo form Venice In various detail levels.(The bar at the right marked with red is the detail notch bar)Where I state "Corect color" is the closest color approximity to the real thing.Actually the colors are very accurate and "exciting" in a shaded enviroment and definatelly much better than the photos here.

navsample3ma.th.jpg

Well I just forgot , to navigate and calculate a route that passes through different countries (at least with this NAVIGON nav Program) One has to have a map installed that has together all these contries.

The best is to install (copy-paste) the whole united Europe map as is installed at the PC from the program to the PDA memmorey card. For that you'll need a more than 1G card since all these maps (as one) are 1,2G so a 2G crd would the be recomended.(that; costy so next year)

For now the programm gives you the ability to select at retrangles areas of Europe and convert them to one map.The PROBLEM is that any of these areas shouldn't be more than 360MB(3-5countries about) and the second is the time that the PC will be in total use to make such map. It has taken me 20Hours(YES! heared right) with my "ancient" 1.2G Athlon with my 800MB memory to make such a map.The new version of 4.2 allows also to remove any parts of contries selectd of the retrangel selection and save plase to include perhups a biger space of a wanted country.

Nice one Alex!

On the subject of speedo accuracy, I held a speedo indicated 130mph on my V11 (209kph) for a couple of miles, and my GPS recorded 121mph (195kph) as my top speed.

I was riding on a long uphill straight with my Techno bags on and I reckon I could get the speedo to indicate its maximum of 140mph (225kph) as I could feel there was more to come.

Assuming the same margin of error, this would estimate the true top speed as being around 130mph, which is not too far off the 132mph max that my dyno run showed.

I was riding on a private airfield I hasten to add!!!

Guy ;)

Nice one Alex!

Assuming the same margin of error, this would estimate the true top speed as being around 130mph, which is not too far off the 132mph max that my dyno run showed.

I was riding on a private airfield I hasten to add!!!

Guy  ;)

Have you dynoed the V11 or the sporti? What was the bhp shown (wheel or crank)??

I'll do some peripheral runs for top speed measures some time latter on.

About the tacho's accuracy I have heared that tahometers are kind of tuned to give more accuracy in certain miles/h or km/h and then they're not so accurrate + or- from indication.There also the bike has to be kept in steady in the same speed for about 20 secs or more in order to stabilise the GPS info I estimate.(because there is a play)

A friend of mine in a stock Corsa (In Germany)has measured

a close 240km/h for the bike in open road with his GPS.It had the Termignoni exausts up there and other than that not reported any extras.

I was surprised at mine that though with a crossover and a Dynotec chip SEEMS to be slower on top speed.It though accelerates quick as I can keep up lets say with a Z 750 kawa.

The 60 profile tyres also play some role on reducing top speed and also there is a

reduce on power output on 5.5k to 7.5k rpm as compared with the 70 profile ones that the output was a bit more brutal and powerfull with those.

The Lanfraconis on the bike though part of the stock are not supposed to be fitted with a crossover and a K/N filter probably are fitted for their "silent" abilities for road use than performance.May they have an effect at the performance (as the bike is now) I don't know.

If any ideas for the PDA holder to the triple clamp just drop links and info.

Well touratech has some and I am checking out if they'll fit mine.

Alex

Firstly, if you want to see a decent varety of brackets take a look at

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/

There are a variety of pictures on site giving you some ideas as to what sort of bracket would be best. If in doubt, drop them an email- they are really helpful.

With regards to the dyno run, you can find it on

www.guzzitech.com.

Regards

Guy

Guest bshpilot
Nice bit of information and evaluation. I don't suppose the PDA is waterproof?

50020[/snapback]

they can be when you put 'em in a heavy ZIP-LOC bag & duck tape it

(taping the bag tight around the device will keep the loose bits of the bag

from flappin' in the wind)

I do this w/ my valentine one <radar detector>

Alex

Firstly, if you want to see a decent varety of brackets take a look at

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/

There are a variety of pictures on site giving you some ideas as to what sort of bracket would be best. If in doubt, drop them an email- they are really helpful.

With regards to the dyno run, you can find it on

www.guzzitech.com.

Regards

Guy

That's so Great and helpfull, wow I should find something now. :thumbsup:

Will check and ask ,thanks twice again :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

I want to get a GPS and am thinking of the Garmin bike specific one because I think vibration and water resistance might be important. I would be concerned with one not intended for bike use that the warranty might not be honoured if it went wrong.

I have seen bad reports of customer service from TomTom Go although their stuff is supposed to be ok.

I want to get a GPS and am thinking of the Garmin bike specific one because I think vibration and water resistance might be important. I would be concerned with one not intended for bike use that the warranty might not be honoured if it went wrong.

I have seen bad reports of customer service from TomTom Go although their stuff is supposed to be ok.

The most money are on the programm , do you have a good navigation programm then you get persice navigation.iIt is also important to have a practical menu and easy to use options.The better would be to contact your dealer and ask for a demosntration on how every programm works.

I have the NAVIGON and at my last Europe tour it was an extreme practical programm to use and very percise as well :thumbsup: Saved me time and money, any other I can;t recommend cause either have not used or wasn't as good.

The Garmin stuff are on their own class since they require ONLY the companies maps-programms and AFAIK they also cost a lot.

I wouldn't mind worriyng about vibrations on my Pocket Loox since I shove it in the tank bag and have my occassional readings.Have installed it once on the triple clamp without any problems as well.

To tell you the truth anither aspect that you can take into consideratiopn about the PDA is to have a readable screen regarless the light. This is a drawback on what I have since in direct sunlight the screenn is almost unreadable (I have to shade it with my hand on the occasional look I have to do)So that's not so good.