Traveling with GPS,PDA assistance.

Alex-Corsa

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I already had a Garmin GPS (76S) and adapted it to the bike with a Sport clip-on riser, a bar segment and a Garmin bar mount. Since I am using TBR bars, I had some real estate up top to mount things. I have a couple thousand miles on the rig and it works for me. Picture is deceiving but speedo and tach are visable and keypad on GPS works fine with gloves. Ignition key takes a little effort but is fully acessable with mount in place. The mount allows to the GPS to be removed in a couple of seconds too just leaving the bar. :2c:

Picture_005__Large_.jpg

Guest golden goose

I'm a geologist and long time user of GPS, professional grade Trimballs and all manner of recreational models. I have 5 rec models, one a Garmin PDA. But for riding, I use a Garmin etrex color Vista. Its fairly water resistant, and lasts about 2 days on a set of batteries. It holds 24 megs of downloaded maps, virtually the state of California as just roads (not the topo database). I use a system made from different RAM ball mounts, an arm, a ball plate and a RAM cage made for the Garmin. I use a tang ball on the Goose that works right off the lever cluster, right or left, in a threaded hole I think might have once been meant for a rearview mirror. The ball is offset from the mounting hole of the tang by about 1.5 inches. The arm clamps to the rubber ball and is 6 inches long. The plate is 6-inches long and 1.5 inches wide. The GPS cage mounts in holes designed for it on the left side of the plate. I have Velcro slathered over the right side and the V1 mounts there with a mini-bungee for insurance. It is adjustable all over the place and always draws admiring looks. I call it the avionics suite, threat and navigation receivers. More velcro on top of the V1 allows mounting a retransmitter with the receiver in the helmet so I have a headsup display of threats. A u-bolt mounted ball on the handlebar of my 85 K100 allows the avionics suite to be used on it. Another tang type ball mounting under the triple clamp on the K12S allows it to be used there. So, once I have the basic plate/arm setup, I just move it to the bike I want by loosinging the radius arm and moving it. Works like a charm. Last fall, while cruising the Sierras, I passed a car on the double yellows and there was a CHP! Yikes. I rolled on full throttle, checked the GPS, saw a road ahead that took off and then rolled around back the direction I had come, and took it. It hooked back in to the road I had been on a mile below where I had erred. I headed back the way I had come. Saved by advanced technology. Now for some hellfire missiles........

I've been using a GPS while touring now for 2 yrs. While it is basically a toy for most [i think you'll agree while on a bike with one] it does give good info in towns you are not familiar with [hotels, food, gas] and is fun seeing how far the Veglias readings are.

I will note that the only company that has map software of any regard for Canadian roads is Garmin. Anyone in my country seriously considering one of these things should look into this. My 76S has done well, it's main drawback is it's screen is not as big, clear, color, or advanced as newer ones, but for the price I got this [$0].

I usually use the Garmin in the map area of my tank bag, along side a map.

Be carefull what you have displayed on the unit. Last year I got stopped for speeding [in the USA again] and quickly put my helmet on the tankbag covering the GPS, which had a display of fastest posted speed during my tour [176kms/hr], and proceded to claim inocence.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Roadslayer

"God" Where are you? Now. A roadmap will tell you where you are. I think,anyway. Can you read one of those? A road map is going to tell you where you are. I've ridden all over North America,from Fairbacks,Alaska to Cabo San Lucas and never used one of those new fangled GPS jobs. Just look around you,and you can see where you probably are. If it's got a room and a 'bar', then you're in the right place. Vittles are cheap and the beer is there,so what's the problem?

I dunno',but maybe I'm cheap. But my 'God" given sence's can tell me to use them to the utmost,so I will. And when lost in the deserts or forests of the U.S.,and can't find my way out,I can always,or can hopefully study a map and can,with help,find my way out. Anyway,enough of this 'blather'. "Cheers" Roadslayer

Guest Roadslayer
What do you mean??

72282[/snapback]

Alex. What do you mean,"what do you mean?" It seems pretty clear. A 'man,or women' can walk around the planet in mostly,total freedom,kicking her Harley and 'copping' a buzz. Is that not 'So in some places? Maybe? "Your thoughts,please. "Roadslayer"

Guest Roadslayer
What do you mean??

72282[/snapback]

Alex. What do you mean,"what do you mean?" It seems pretty clear. A 'man,or women' can walk around the planet in mostly,total freedom,kicking her Harley and 'copping' a buzz. Is that not 'So in some places? Maybe? "Your thoughts,please. "Roadslayer"

Alex. What do you mean,"what do you mean?" It seems pretty clear. A 'man,or women' can walk around the planet in mostly,total freedom,kicking her Harley and 'copping' a buzz. Is that not 'So in some places? Maybe?  "Your thoughts,please.  "Roadslayer"

The word site is that I couldn't explain in the whole proposition.

Basic Idea is that GPS saves time when visiting unknown places and that's all I needed it for.

I remember when I went to Ghezzi Brian , it would take me hours of searching on the map to find the place because is out of route and the address wasn't so complete anyways.

I can live without it it just saves me some time.If I want some adventure or know how to go quick where I want, I switch it off, no problem