What size is the odometer reset screw????

Mike Stewart

Hi all,

My odometer knob broke last year and the screw is missing. I am thinking of machining a new knob out of aluminum, anyone know what size screw I need and what the thread pitch is for a 2003 bike?

Thanks,

Mike

David,

The pre 03 models have the new gauges along with new problems. The knob is plastic and broke at the end that meets the speedo. There is a little tiny screw that is missing, I guess I can go to my local Guzzi dealer to pick one up :grin: , but I wonder how long it will take to get one :mg: .

Mike

Ok boys, I have some experience about this little screw :rasta: . 03 and afterwards, Guzzi abandoned Veglia, the nice white faced gauges, and went to the, apparently cheaper, ITI (?) gauges with black faces. This changed the speedo drive mechanism and eliminated the separating-prone angle drive that attached the speedo cable to the trans. Okkkkkkkk, the screw. The odo reset knob is a little plastic deal which has a small screw that attaches the knob to a little brass insert that then screws on the odo threaded reset shaft. On all the models Ive seen, the brass insert is too large for the odo threaded shaft. The plastic knob will attach to the female-threaded insert but the insert is too big to thread onto the odo shaft. Well, guess what? They just glued the insert on the threaded shaft. The only fix apparently is to do the same. Screw your plastic knob to the brass insert and then put a dob of epoxy etc on the insert threads and carefully slip it onto the threaded odo shaft. Too soft a glue wont work. It'll twist out. Later, if you need to remove the speedo, you remove the little screw inside the plastic knob that attaches it to the brass insert which is glued to the odometer shaft. Nowwwwww, this thread question perhaps is only about the little knob screw. If the brass insert is still on the odo shaft, you only need the itsy bitsy black screw to attach your knob to the, hopefully, glued insert. I would check a dealer. Jim at Ned's is hard to beat. I gotta go take a nap after all this screw talk. bye

Thanks for the input Leafman :thumbsup:

Odometer_knob.jpg

The upper knob is the stock one that cracks at the end, the lower one is the one I machined up this weekend. The brass piece in the speedo head is a D shape and making a D shape into the knob was a bitch. Anyway, I am still looking for the screw size, I think it is about an 1.8mm or slightly smaller. The new knob fits really tight, a drop of loctite may be the solution.

Mike

• 2 years later...
Guest h8chains

The odo reset knob on my 04 LM with 4K broke off this morning after I put in gas and tried to reset it. The plastic knob just crumbled at the point where it broke off, identical to Mike S.

Anyone came up with a fix? I don't really want to buy a replacement piece which eventually will have the same fate.

My reset knob came already broken with the bike :luigi: , If i was to fix it i would use something aftermarket.

But i probably wont bother, what you have never had you dont miss. :P

Gary

My Nero Corsa reset knob was broken on delivery, too. The Cafe Sport's knob still works. I have the new knob for the Nero, but the plastic piece came off leaving the brass insert still stuck to the shaft. Plan to get it fixed next trip to Houston.

Wick

Guest h8chains

Time for someone to mass produce this part and make it out of aluminum.

I'll look into it and come back with a design and price.

Guest h8chains

I would like to take some measurements. Anyone has open up the odometer? Suggestions?

This piece is easy to make and I will be able to get a bunch made.