Just a click

Bbennett

Hello All-

I just installed a PC III and a set of StainTunes on my 2001 V11 but cannot get the bike to fire up. During the installation, I removed the battery and "arc"ed it in the process. It did not appear to be too severe but I do not know. I checked and all wires to the battery are hooked up and the fuses are OK. All I hear is a "click" when I try to start - coming from one of the (replaced) relays. I notice the headlight seems a little weak and the horn will not honk, so I put it on the trickle charger overnight. Still, today the headlight still seems weak and the horn doesn't work and the same click is heard. I try jumping the bike with a 12 volt car battery - no change. Tried dis-connecting the PC-III for grins but of course there was no change. Of course the on/off switch on the right handlebar is "on". Bike is in nuetral with clutch in when I attempt the start as normal. I am sure the trickle charger is working as I see little sparks when I connect it.

Any ideas?

Bob

Like Paul says first thing to check is battery condition, it does sound like a duff battery. If battery's knackered then adding a good car battery upline in series with it won't necessarily help.

KB :sun:

Like Paul says first thing to check is battery condition, it does sound like a duff battery. If battery's knackered then adding a good car battery upline in series with it won't necessarily help.

46850[/snapback]

Oh lord, please, not series, that might give you 24 volts! Jumping a battery is in parallel - 12 volts. Not that I'm trying to be didactic, but someone got really literal...

At any rate. On the Guzzi's, you can unplug the ECU and still test the starter circuit. Unplug the ECU, try the starter and if you don't get much more than a click, you can hook up a car battery in parallel with the bike battery and give her a whack. At least you won't damage the ECU. You could even disconnect the battery and with suitably gauged jumper cables, just hook directly to the battery leads to determine if the battery is toast.

When removing the battery, disconnect the negative terminal first, to minimise the risk of this happening.

I'd check the fuses first, then measure the voltage across the battery.

Are you sure all the wires are hooked back to their terminals? Maybe one slipped down behind? :huh2:

That said, it does sound like the battery.

J

Oh lord, please, not series, that might give you 24 volts! Jumping a battery is in parallel - 12 volts...

i knew i shoulda paid more attention.....

so connecting two batteries + to + & - to - is parallell. what's series then? just so i know.... :blush:

i knew i shoulda paid more attention.....

KB :sun::drink:  :drink:

46906[/snapback]

Like when you put batteries in a torch

– hope that was illuminating :sun:

I am the original poster and the problem is resolved.

JRT was right - I had neglected to hook up the third red cable. Yes, I had checked but until I was told there were 3 wires on each terminal I could not "see" the third errant cable. Oddly that did not change or resolve the problem though.

I changed the starter relay - no effect.

Then in desperation, I checked very fuse. Even ones that "had nothing to do" with these symptoms. Hmmmm.. That 15 mm fuse (apparently for lights according to the fusebox decal) was out. I replaced it and the bike fired up instantly with a new roar.

WHy new? Well ,I have my new StainTUnes and a PC-III. After a 5 minute warmup I took it out for a test ride. I am very happy. THe pipes are not too loud. Of course there is more airbox roar (well there is no "airbox" now) and I hear the mechanicals of the engine more. Power is excellent. And my front end feels "lighter" when moving the back around in the garage - cannot really explain how removing the sidecovers and airbox would have such an effect.

Thank you all - and if you ever hear a click in stead of a roar, check that 15 amp fuse.

A rookie (well at mechanics)

Hey, I'm glad to hear you got it fixed. When I put my California back together last year, there was one more black battery cable than I expected. I hooked it up to the negative battery terminal and - blooie! - ruined the battery. MG, in their inifinite wisdom, has one cable on the Californias that is hooked up to the positive terminal yet it is black where the others are red. Live and learn I guess. I'm lucky I even got the bike back together after leaving it in pieces for 18 months.