V11 Oil Cooler

O2 V11

I was wondering what models have the mesh cover over their oil coolers. I was looking at Nogbad's Sunday morning posting and his V11 Sport has the mesh cover. Mine does not have one fitted and looks decidedly agricultural compared to the earlier model. Do the Rosso Mandello's which are 2001 models have this? Is this cover able to be taken off and fitted to the later model bikes?

Rob

My Sport 1100i has a radiator cover, though "my" radiator looks a bit shorter than yours ,but the side screws look like in the same distances.It may be useless to tell you the part.no. since they may not fit exact in height

If there's a radiator cover on other V11's I think it will fit on your too so don't wory about it.

I believe that the only V11 Sport/LeMans model that came stock with the silver "rock guard" was the 2001 Rosso Mandello.

Now, knowing MG, it is entirely possible a few could have shown up here and there randomly though :rolleyes:

It is available through MG, although I have heard it is pricey. I've been keeping my eye out for one used for a couple years.

...although I have to say that with the V11 oil cooler mounted so high, rock/debris shouldn't really be an issue for the most part. It is fairly well shielded by the forks. The only exception would be the few 2002s that had the Sport1100i/Centauro style fuel pump mount out in front above the regulator. These few iterations have their oil cooler mounted a bit lower, right above the alternator cover.

al

Al is right about the Rosso Mandello's having the guard, mine does have one. If you want a really cool/kickass looking oil cooler guard look at this sites sponsors. They have some mind blowing stuff...including oil cooler guards.

Guest Nogbad
With '01's and earlier, I'd be more worried about the cheap aluminium brackets which WILL break with use. The newer bikes have proper steel brackets of the same pattern.

Ciao, Steve G.

47765[/snapback]

My 00 bike has thick steel brackets! What are these aluminium ones everyone keeps mentioning?

Aluminum brackets were used on some of the earliest sports. They were phased out or were in the porcess of phasing out by '01. I have steel brackets...and a rock guard on my '01 sport.

Guest Nogbad
Aluminum brackets were used on some of the earliest sports.  They were phased out or were in the porcess of phasing out by '01.  I have steel brackets...and a rock guard on my '01 sport.

47793[/snapback]

Mines a June 00 registered Sport and has the steel brackets and a rock guard. I am convinced everything is original factory because the previous 2 owners only put 2000 miles on it in 3 years, and didn't even get the tranny recall done.

Guest slowpoke

Those brackets are cast which is not a good idea as is both the gear shift lever and brake lever. I purchased the brake lever from MPH cycles but fabricated the gear shift lever out of 6061 aluminum and made new brackets for the oil cooler out of high grade aluminum plate. All in all, they look great and won't break. Mine also has the oil cooler guard and it is a 2001.